Gym or no Gym?

Options
That is the question....

I have recently found out about a small gym in my village which my good friend goes to and I would love to go the gym, plus it's only £80 a year for member ship and there are also squash and tennis courts to use...
It all sounds fab BUT what's holding me back is the thought of exercising with other people that I don't know. It's taken me a long time to go running in the view of the public.

shall I just ignore the other people and go anyway?

Replies

• mariasheehan
    Options
    I used to be just like you, I'm very self conscious and don't like doing lots of things in front of others. But I joined a gym in a local hotel and it was amazing. Much to my delight, I noticed that people were too busy doing their own workouts, sweating their hearts out and concentrating on THEMSELVES to even bother looking at me. It really was the best thing I have ever done. It had a TV on each piece of equipment, no mirrors (thank GOD), sauna, jacuzzi, aromatherapy room, swimming pool, hot tub....oh I could go on and on, amazing. Since then I lost my fear of gyms and public places! I'm not part of a gym now, I've moved country and have a baby that keeps me on my toes, but it definitely has made me think of finding something similar here. At 80.00 I think you should go for it :-)
  • SavannaN
    SavannaN Posts: 148
    Options
    GO!!!! I used to hate going to the gym too because I felt I was being watched, but I love it now!!! I have a friendly competition with the people around me on the other machines and that helps motivate me. Of course they have no idea that I do that, but I still do....lol Plus having a buddy to work out with will make you have more accountability in going...
  • Collene23
    Options
    Yes, most definitely!! The other people are not concerned about you, they are concentrating on what they are doing. Besides it will be fun!!! Go for it!! I am sure that you could get a guess pass to try it out and see how you like it.
  • ultimategar
    ultimategar Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Go for it!
    If you can run in public, the gym should be no bother - at least everyone there is doing the same thing, sweating and pushing themselves. In my experience no one pays much attention to anyone else, plus everyone has their own insecurities no matter what shape they're in. Get a good program from the instructors, no point working out without structure. Enjoy.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    yes, do it.
  • olsenl
    Options
    Go! Probably the other people feel just like you do. If its good for you, then do it.
  • bparsont
    Options
    I do. I just ignore everyone else unless they say hi or something. i don't wear "gym" clothes I wear what I feel comfortable in like sweat pants and a t-shirt. Sometimes I wear crop pant and a t-shirt. Just don't let yourself get psyched out, you are there for a purpose, to exercise and lose weight.

I see you ride horses, you know that's a great form of exercise too.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    £80 for a year? I'd be there like a shot.
    :wink:

Let's put it this way. It gets easier.
    At the start I only went when they gym was quiet because I was shy about people seeing me there. Eventually I just didn't care and to be honest nobody cared about me in the first place. You're all there for the same reason, to use the equipment and get fitter.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    It took me almost a year along in my weight loss efforts to get up the guts to join a gym. I'd already lost 65 lbs at that point, but good lordy I wish I joined 11 months ago! I LOVE the gym! The equipment is varied enough that I can keep mixing it up, there are really helpful personal trainers, and I really don't mind working out with other people. It's nice being around others who care about fitness actually. Perhaps you'll meet some like-minded people!
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,036 Member
    Options
    I was TERRIFIED of going to the gym because I have never really done any exercise before. It was overwhelming to me, but when I got there, it wasn't so bad. Everyone is there for the same reason. What you're doing is no different than the person next to you is doing. Just remember, not everyone works out the same way or is on the same level as you. Just go in, do your thing and leave. Don't worry about what other people think. At least you're there doing SOMETHING.
  • tonyalschwarzkopf
    Options
    I know exactly where you are coming from! I used to hate, hate, hate, going to work out at the gym because I didn't know anyone there and wasn't exactly comfortable in the gym setting! (Some of that equipment is scary) But I started out easy, I went there for a tour first, before I ever joined. Most places will jump at the chance to show you around and "SELL" themselves to you. They asked what my goals were and the like and even recommended a routine to start with. After joining when I would go I would ask the trainers lots of questions and they were more than happy to answer or help when needed. Pretty soon I got really comfortable there because I KNEW people there! (The trainers and staff) I have know been a member of the same gym for 3 years and everytime I go in I see people like the way I was, new and unsure. I help as much as I can or direct them to the people who helped me! If you have the will to do it, then do it, there's nothing to be scared of! REALLY!
  • BeandCle
    Options
    Thanks guys :)
    My friend said it's really good there... so I've signed myself up for the induction and once I've done that, me and my friend are going to go down together.
    I can't wait!
  • mayree678
    mayree678 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I used to have this mind set, until very recently. Up until 2 months ago, I paid what I call the I call the gym tax. The gym tax is the amount of money I paid every month to have the ability to go to a gym that i never went to. I didn't go because of various reasons. It was too far (10 minutes away),Not enough time (24 hour gym), too many people there (1 was too many for me), too skinny people there (anyone smaller than me), etc.

Recently I have decided that I want to be happy for me. Included in this is many things one of which is weight loss. Not cause I will look like xxxx or becuase xxx will think I'm cute, but because I want to be happy and healthy and look good to me. I forced myself to go to the gym, even with other people there.

Part of my new be happy living is no one can stop me from doing what I want to do just because they are there. So I used to drive by the gym and see several cars in the parking lot, and drive away. Now I walk in and work out with my ipod for a while and go home feeling refreshed. It took me a really long time to come to this conclusion though. I paid the gym tax for almost 8 years.
  • britia1
    Options
    I have had the same fear all my life until recently! My daughter kept bugging me to get a membership at the YMCA because her friend belongs there and she likes working out with her. So I decided to get a family membership because I really need to do something to get in shape, and my appartment is too small to work out in. I had orientation with one of the trainors who showed me how to use some of the machines. Once I started going, it really turned out that I like the public aspect of it! There are all ages shapes and sizes that go. I got so into it, I metioned to my fiance that I would love if he hired a personal trainor there for my birthday present and he did. I see her once a week and try to get back to do the routine she gave me two times before I see her again. This has made me push my comfort zone even further because this involves using the free weights and going to the part of the gym where the big muscle men are. They don't bother me. I just zone them out and do my stuff. So try it out. push your comfort zone to the limit. The only person you hurt is yourself because of what is in your mind. Go and enjoy it!
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Most people at the gym are ok and focused on doing their own thing. When I started I could barely do 5 minutes on the treadmill or 2 on the elliptical. It was a little intimidating doing that little next to someone who has got the intensity cranked up to 20 and seems to be going 100 mph. However, this morning I did 65 minutes on the elliptical, 45 on the treadmill, and 30 minutes of strength training. Had I worried about what others thought I never would have gotten to this point of strength and fitness.
  • EZGruv
    EZGruv Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    The only people I notice at the gym are my friends, and whoever is using the weights/rack I need. Everybody else is invisible. Don't worry about it at all.
  • LittleD311
    LittleD311 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    If you tried to get me in a gym 2 years ago , I would have said NO before the full question came out! I used to hate going to the gyms, since I dont like people looking at me....then I became unemployed in April of last year, and said, enough is enough, i'm gonna just do it, so i could keep myself busy. I go to planet fitness, and i love it, noone in there looks at you oddly....JUST DO IT!