Weigh in - weekly or just losses?

Options
I'm just curious as to how other do this: do you check in with your weight every week or do you just check in when you've lost? I normally just do losses but I'm suddenly wondering what others do.

Replies

• jsecret
    jsecret Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I only do losses with the exception of when I went off track around the holidays and gained quite a few pounds back. Otherwise I only log when I hit a new "low".
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing.
  • Kelleinna
    Options
    I just log when I hit a new "low".... my regular weekly weigh-ins go elsewhere. :)
  • TabbyJustice
    TabbyJustice Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I personally weigh myself every Saturday morning, and I put my new number regardless if it's negative or positive (hopefully not in the plus!). It keeps me in track, and it updates so all my friends on here will see it. If it's in the plus, I know I have a good support system that will get my butt back in gear!
  • siriusciel
    siriusciel Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Ditto. I ALWAYS record a loss but if I am not budging or at a plateau, I usually will not record it. If I gain and stay at that gain for more than a week or so, then I record it to get myself back on track and accountable!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I only weigh in here when I've lost. My gains are just from retaining water and they go away in a few days. I think logging them would only bum me out.
  • SheilaS95
    Options
    I weigh in every Monday morning before breakfast, and record the weight loss or gain. You should weigh in once a week, same day of the week, same time of day. Your weight fluctuates too much to get on the scale more often than that.
    Say you gain 1-2 lbs this week but next week you are back down those 1-2 lbs, you aren't giving yourself credit for loosing that weight if you don't record the gain... it would just appear as maintaining if you went back and looked at your weight log down the road.
  • StaceG1986
    Options
    I weigh in and record once a week on a Friday (some weeks I get carried away and weigh multiple times a day to see how I'm doing lol!)

Because I only record once a week, I log it whether it's a loss or gain, so if I gain one week then lose the next week, it shows as a loss on that week. (If that makes any sense lol!)
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I weigh in and record weekly. As much as I dislike having to record plateaus, keeping complete data makes it easier to correlate weight loss with exercise and eating habits over time and spot the patterns.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    I record weekly, I have to.

If I've recorded it I can correlate between my nutrition and exercise for a period that I didn't have a loss, or see what I did when I did have a loss.

I track my food daily, my exercise when I do it, why would I not track my weight? I do need to take and record my measurements though so I can see progress that I know I have there even if the scale doesn't budge

I know I've made progress I'm up to an hour on the treadmill, when I could hardly do 20-30 mins when I started a month ago. And pants I bought 2 months ago, used of course because I knew I'd need them temporarily are at the point I need to find a belt to keep them decent.
  • spgabby86
    spgabby86 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious as to how other do this: do you check in with your weight every week or do you just check in when you've lost? I normally just do losses but I'm suddenly wondering what others do.

Sounds like most people do the same thing...I to record my Weight EVERY Monday Morning after my bathroom run...I typically get carried away ok (obsessive-compulsive) with it and that's not good either...But gain or loss I record/reflect it on MFP to keep me on track with how I'm eating and exercising. So if I gained I go back look at my food intake (cooked vs fastfood), is it water how many days did I exercise etc etc...and even if I had a big loss I go back to see what I did, and try and repeat...nothing wrong with a repeat...it's like left overs, better the 2nd time around!

I think recording once a week is good for you and will help you accomplish your own personal goal(s) at your own pace. The key is to keep it moving and don't give up!
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    Wow.. lots of different answers & reasons...
    I might try logging weekly regardless, to see how that sits with me. :-) Not happy with this week's report though! *sniffles*
  • binabodu
    binabodu Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I weigh weekly too. I just decided today that I am literally going to put the scale away after my weekly weigh-in so I stay off of the scale. I really want to focus on being healthy, not how much the scale says every day. I also only enter once a week, so right now I know I have lost 3 more pounds but I won't enter it until my official weigh in on Wednesday. I know it's silly but I am just trying to be consistent. I also measure my inches twice a month.
  • Charrisse
    Options
    Oh yes, just losses, LOL
    I post a loss when I weigh it 3 days in a row.
  • rdy2begin
    Options
    I was weighing in everyday .. obsessive I know ,I have now started a goal to only weigh in every 2 weeks (so I wont feel discouraged)as far as editing and adding to my page only when I have a "low" : ) Best Wishes !
  • misty1208
    Options
    I personally weigh myself everyday at home. But i only record it on here every few days or so. I tired cutting back to once a week, but i get too excited and want to share with everyone. haha:tongue:
  • tabbychiro
    tabbychiro Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I weight myself frequently but only record once a week. I gained this week and debated about whether to just record losses but I decided to record the gain because I know it's because I've been overeating and I felt like I should keep track of that.
  • Victorious_One
    Victorious_One Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    If I didn't have such incredibly mean water-weight retention 2 weeks out of the month and bad problems with edema, I would do weekly weigh-ins and post whatever I got. Now, I only post losses. For example, I've gained in water weight the 5 lbs or so I've lost since joining. It drives me nuts! If I reported that and saw it for 2 weeks I'd blow my stack. :explode:
  • chickybabe05
    Options
    I have only just started here but i will be doing weekly weigh ins and recording the number no matter what it says. this way i will have an idea of whats going on and what i need to change. i think if i only record losses i will be burying my head in the sand so to speak when things are not working. i really have to be honest with myself and accept that sometimes i am not doing enough to change old habits. plus i think it will help motivate me for the next week, if its a loss i will want to keep it up and if i gain i will have more drive to do better!!