How to kick the sweet cravings cold turkey...

Options
Any ideas on how to kick the habit, this is my weakness. I've done a lot of substitutions like fruit, good consistent eating, but I love my sweets.

Replies

• mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I found great tips in the book Kick the Sugar Habit by Ann Louise Gittleman.

You may also want to do a Yeast/Candida cleanse as this is a frequent cause of craving sweets.
  • mapnerd2005
    Options
    I don't know about cold turkey, but I've noticed a huge decrease in my sweet tooth since I quit drinking sweetened drinks. It's all unsweet tea and black coffee for me (and I actually like them that way) now. I accidently took a drink from my friend's sweet tea a few weeks ago and was in shock over how it just tasted like sugar water.
  • TamekaBohorquez
    TamekaBohorquez Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I honestly think it's a mind thing. Typically before I engage upon healthy eating I tell myself " ok.. i'm going eat healthy this week" and that gets shot out the park by the idea of chocolate covered almonds or something. Ugh, If I could just kick the sweet habit I think I could win the fight.
  • nessafly
    Options
    I can never kick the sweet tooth, but I do try and make it less calories.... sugar-free hard candies & jello :wink:
  • kimjoan
    kimjoan Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I don't know that you can (or should) do it cold turkey. A few suggestions:

* Extra Dessert Delights gum - my fav is key lime pie

* Give in a bit - if you are craving for an oatmeal cookie have ONE oatmeal cookie. I found that by the time I had this and that to try to take care of the craving I ate more calories and was unsatisfied - as well as frustrated sometimes - then just having that one cookie to take the edge off the craving.
  • ccg0222
    Options
    Well, I wouldn't consider myself the model because I definitely haven't kicked my sweet tooth.
    BUT I have found that if it's not there, I can't eat it. It helps me a ton at home to know that I don't have the sweets because moderation is not in my vocabulary when it comes to sweets. However, I still have issues when not at home or when the hubby brings stuff home.
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I have a REALLY bad sweet tooth, so I've given up on fighting the cravings. I still have my chocolate -- just a lot *less* of it. I started out with those little 100-calorie packs of M&Ms and such, and can now buy a regular-sized bag and portion them out for myself (helps with the willpower!).

Moderation is the key... I know that if I gave it up entirely I'd crave it -- then binge on it given half the chance.
  • TamekaBohorquez
    Options
    thanks guys, I'm just so frustrated with my weight.
  • bfrice1
    Options
    1. Pick quality sweets, for ex. Godiva instead of Hershey, or get your next danish from a bakery, not Dolly Madison at the supermarket.

2. Only eat a couple of bites. Take your time and savor the flavor.

Train yourself to better quality stuff and you'll notice not only that you're eating less, but that you're getting more satisfaction out of it.

After your second or third bite, move on. Very little, if any damage is done to your calories for the day because you can work two or three bites in, and you don't rack yourself with guilt.
  • TamekaBohorquez
    Options
    You are so right. I told myself that I would really start out today eating healthy.... how do I keep that motivation though. I wanna do this so bad. My husband loves to taunt me with sweets. It seems that when he knows I'm cutting back that's when he really starts bringing in the bad stuff.
  • amylynn96
    amylynn96 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I dont know about anyone else but theres just no way for me. Everyones different and some ppls minds will just always crave something sweet no matter how much you say you dont need it or cant have it bc of a diet you'll still always want it. I NEED something chocolate every now and then, i crave it. If i know i was good all day and have more than enough calories left i have a peice or 2 of dove sqaures. Its subsides the craving and satisfies the sweettooth. Nothing wrong with still treating yourself. Lifes too short to completly deprive yourself of something you love. :wink:
  • tigergreeneyz
    tigergreeneyz Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I LOVE sweets and know that I would be miserable if I was "forbidden" to have my dessert after dinner. What I do is figure out how to have something sweet for as few calories as possible. This is the only way that I don't feel deprived and therefore am able/willing to stay motivated to lose weight. I've listed a couple of my favorite low calorie desserts.

Chocolate Pie

1 mini graham cracker pie crust
    1/2 c chocolate pudding ( I use sugar free) *You can also substitue any sugar free pudding/pie filling for a different variety
    2-4 TBSP Lite Reddi-Whip Cool Whip

(approximately calories: 155)

Klondike Slim-a-Bear (170 calories)
    Skinny Cow Ice Cream (calories vary)
    Weight Watcher's bars (calories vary)
    Smore's (using 2 pcs of Hershey's chocolate and 1 large marshmallow is around 110 calories)
    Frozen strawberries (thawed) with cool whip on top
  • adurfee
    adurfee Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the different Quaker rice cakes? They have some really good ones.....my fave is the chocolate crunch one, it's just enough chocolate to get me thru my craving, and only 60 calories I think??? There's also an apple caramel one I haven't tried yet. I'm a chocoholic, so I stick with the chocolate crunch ones. The white cheddar are really good too when you want salty/crunchy stuff. Seriously, try them!!!
  • givprayz
    givprayz Posts: 328
    Options
    I refuse to give up sweets. I do things in moderation, and less often, and I've tweaked a few recipes to be really good with fewer calories. I recommend dark chocolate, because it is better for your heart and causes less spike in blood sugar. Also, make a cake using sugar-free yellow cake mix, 1 can of pumpkin, 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice and I put in 2 egg whites, but you don't have to. bake in a 13X9 pan and cut in 12 pieces. Only about 130 calories a piece.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    You are so right. I told myself that I would really start out today eating healthy.... how do I keep that motivation though. I wanna do this so bad. My husband loves to taunt me with sweets. It seems that when he knows I'm cutting back that's when he really starts bringing in the bad stuff.

Different husband? :ohwell:

Yeah, I know, I couldn't resist.

I have to refuse all sugar all the time or it is a slippery slope.