weight lifting question

Options
i found a 12 week beginners weight lifting program and i started today. I have lifted weights before, i just chose the "beginners" since I haven't workout or lifted in months. Anyways, the 1st week in this program says to do 1set of 10-12 reps for 6 different exercises, so that's what I did. After wards though I was left feeling like i didn't do anything. So... my question is should I increase the weight I'm using or should I increase the sets?

Replies

• lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Although I am not an expert, I have consistently read that to see real changes you should do two sets of each exercise. There is a big improvement in those who do two sets as compared to groups doing only one set of each exercise. There is also an improvement in those who do three sets; however, that improvement is not as dramatic (as compared with the going from 1-2). There is virtually no improvement going beyond three sets, and you begin to risk injury from being overtired.
  • jaedre
    jaedre Posts: 22
    Options
    increase the weight. if your doing 10-12 reps you should be struggling by the time you reach rep 9
  • princesslmc2
    princesslmc2 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Absolutely increase the weights (though wait to reevaluate tomorrow to see how sore, if at all, you're feeling). The soreness is a good indicator of working down those muscle fibers so they can grow! If you're not sore, bump it up a pound or two the next time... And keep going! Muscle burns fat!

I did the ChaLEAN Extreme program where that was the motto: Muscle Burns Fat! We were pushed to go to the extreme... I lost 10% body fat and lost so many inches!! So I'm a huge advocate for strength training and lifting heavy!
  • ahbach2005
    Options
    I agree

increase weigth and do 2 sets 3 max. I circuit train this way and it really works well.
  • Endershadow
    Endershadow Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Try to do 10-15 reps, at a weight where you really feel the burn on the last few. Do 3 sets of that. Mix in higher weights and higher reps so your muscles don't get used to the workout. You might be sore for the first week, but that should go away once your body gets used to lifting. If you ever pick too much weight, just stop and go down.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    You are supposed reach momentary muscle failure by rep 12.
  • mkrafick
    Options
    The key is if you feel still or slightly sore within the next two days.

When I started, I did (1) Exercise per body part, for that exercise I did (3) Sets of 10-12. I did that for roughly 2 weeks and then bumped to (2) Exercises per body part for 2 weeks, and then bumped to (3) Exercises per body part.

If you aren't feeling a little stiff or sore the next day, bump your weight not necessarily reps. Another way to tell is the first set should be fairly easy, the second set you should be "feelin it" and be happy ending on your last rep. The third set you should get through, but should be miserable by rep 8 or so.

Also keep in mind, in the very begining (say first 90 days) your body will adjust very quickly - wouldn't be suprising if you bump weight each time you return for a while, especially in the legs.

I would also suggest finding a protien drink to drink within 20min of your workout - will make a dramatic change in recovery time, sore muscles will be less, and helps your body recover. I use "Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protien" mixed with 2% Milk. Tastes like a milkshake and a jug of mix is only $15.00 at Wal-mart.
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Sets/reps/weight depends on what you are trying to improve.
    Generally, more reps at lower weight will build definition and endurance; more weight will build mass (size) and strength.
    One important factor is the speed at which you do either.
    Do the reps as if you were moving in slow motion. For example, if you were doing a curl, make each rep last several seconds as you come up and let the bar down. If you try to complete a rep in a half second or so, you'll just gorge the muscle with blood. If you were posing five minutes later, you might LOOK bigger, but not much has been accomplished except burning some calories.
    Another thing to remember -- you should know this already, having lifted before -- is to allow the muscles you're working on to recover fully before working them again. So, you might work upper body today, lower body tomorrow, do cardio the next day, then start over. Certainly, don't work the same body part on consecutive days.
  • ekglembocki
    Options
    If I add a protein drink, will that make me heavier?
  • mkrafick
    Options
    @ekglembocki -
    Yes and No. I am at 37lbs lost on the scale - it's closer to 45-50lbs because I have put on some muscle over 6-8 months. I calculate my protien drink into my calorie count and drink at least one a day, two if I do strength training and drink within 20 minutes of my workout.

When your muscles have gone through a workout the protien drink is immediately used to replenish and repair them. Ultamately this helps muscles grow. Muscles are heavier than fat, so you could gain weight (which is not uncommon) but it is muscle - not fat. So the inches still shrink.

Protien is also harder for your body to convert to fat so it is used for energy first too.
  • outersoul
    Options
    I tend to go heavy using strict form. If I can do 10 reps then I increase the weight next work out. I do 3 sets generally and on my last set I usually can't get more than 4-6 reps in. I say increase the weight to the point where you can still maintain good form.
  • fasttrack27
    Options
    I tend to go heavy using strict form. If I can do 10 reps then I increase the weight next work out. I do 3 sets generally and on my last set I usually can't get more than 4-6 reps in. I say increase the weight to the point where you can still maintain good form.

Very good point. I see people lifting heavier than they should, form is out the window, and are almost begging for injury.

I also like another comment about slowing down. Take the momentum out of you motion and it makes the workout tougher but better. Even mix up your reps by counting (i.e. 4 counts up and down, then 2 counts up and down, 3counts down and 1 up, etc). You could also do static holds half-way. We do all this stuff in the strength/conditioning classes I do twice a week.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

Very good point. I see people lifting heavier than they should, form is out the window, and are almost begging for injury.

I also like another comment about slowing down. Take the momentum out of you motion and it makes the workout tougher but better. Even mix up your reps by counting (i.e. 4 counts up and down, then 2 counts up and down, 3counts down and 1 up, etc). You could also do static holds half-way. We do all this stuff in the strength/conditioning classes I do twice a week.

Nice post. I was actually incorporating static holds in my weights session tonight. Talk about difficult...
  • outersoul
    Options

I see it all the time. Guys going heavy, handing out tickets to the gun show but using POOR form. Little do they realize they are doing more harm than good.