That Stupid Scale

Options
So, when I started this site back in July I went out and bought my first scale (I know, I know, 26 years and I'd never weighed myself at home - probably how I got myself into this mess in the first place...). I've been using it ever since and I've lost 21lbs so far according to this digital scale.

My problem is, I went to a doctor visit last week and when they weighed me (on a digital scale) it said i was exactly 10lbs higher than MY scale said I was. Not good....

Could my scale be off? You'd think a doctor's office scale would be right on, right? Naturally, I went out and got another scale (not digital) and it said I was heavier than my scale AND the doc's scale - but, I got the cheapest one (under $10) so maybe that one is just crappy?

What in the world is going on??

Replies

• Lauren882
    Options
    So, when I started this site back in July I went out and bought my first scale (I know, I know, 26 years and I'd never weighed myself at home - probably how I got myself into this mess in the first place...). I've been using it ever since and I've lost 21lbs so far according to this digital scale.

My problem is, I went to a doctor visit last week and when they weighed me (on a digital scale) it said i was exactly 10lbs higher than MY scale said I was. Not good....

Could my scale be off? You'd think a doctor's office scale would be right on, right? Naturally, I went out and got another scale (not digital) and it said I was heavier than my scale AND the doc's scale - but, I got the cheapest one (under $10) so maybe that one is just crappy?

What in the world is going on??
  • eriny
    eriny Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    been there :explode:
  • pinkpixies
    Options
    Doctors scales are generally a bit off and you should always weigh nakie at home anyways if you want it to be accurate. (clothes can weigh 5+ lbs!) And do it first thing in the morning, after you pee...and don't shower first b/c the water in your hair can increase the scale number a lot. If you can, invest in a good quality scale. Around $40 should be good enough to get one.
  • emibmas
    emibmas Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I SOOOO HAVE BEEN THERE TOO!!!!!!!!:mad:

Scales are stupid. Use a measuring tape, they don't lie.
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: You are doing great, don't get discouraged!:drinker:
  • nightangelstars
    nightangelstars Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    The old-fashioned scale at my doctor's office regularly weighs me 6 lbs heavier than any of my home scales. Of course, it also says I'm a full inch and a half shorter than I actually am! :laugh: I'm inclined to think it's just off, personally. I rely on my home scale for weight measurements because mostly you want to know how much you weigh relative to what you weighed before anyways, so I think it's important to pick a scale and just use that one consistently, personally.

As a footnote, if you're really concerned, some digital scales will allow you to zero them out, so that any irregularities are cleared out of the system (most do it automatically but i've seen the ones you zero manually) and that can make a difference. Otherwise I think digital scales tend to be fairly accurate . . . however, I'm sure you're doing just fine. :flowerforyou:
  • Nana27
    Options
    I went to the doc last week and according to his scale I weigh 9 pounds heavier! But the funny thing is that again according to him I have lost 33 pounds, whereas my scale says only 32. Go figure.
  • Mely
    Mely Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    To check your scale, weigh something that you know for sure it's weight like a 5 lb dumbbell or a 5 lb bag of potatoes. I think I'll try it myself.
  • chelsey787
    Options
    i'd go with the lowest number :happy:

i think that is your best bet!!!
  • sarakenna1
    Options
    Scales are lame. Don't fixate on the number too much, because unless you use a super high tec water scale, you can't be sure about their accuracy. I've been known to go up or down about 4 lbs in one week just from water weight, so even if my scale was accurate there is no certainty that the number on the scale is my "actual" weight. I just use my scale as my general guide. If my weight goes up instead of down for more then a few days, I know I need to get my act together. :happy:
  • FitShark
    Options
    oh the horrors of scales....but I am "heavier a the doctor's officess" too; and I know that all the differences between time of day, eating/not eating, shoes and clothing etc are the reason.

But I think the worst experience I had was about 15 yrs ago (ph gosh! can I actally say something like that!?!?!) I bought a scale, got it ready, got myself prepared - mentally- and stepped on.....gasped, got off....thought that cant be right, and got on again...and then it happened, I BROKE THE SCALE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :sad: The pannel went into a death spin, and just spun around (fast! !) and then just layed around the 50 marker.....I couldnt believe it....I was about 160lbs at the time, and was feeling sluggish and just gross about myself anyhow, and then I broke the #*@!!*!@ scale .... :grumble: oh my, it took awhile to get over that.....I think I am better now :ohwell:
  • Mely
    Mely Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    That is too funny :laugh:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Ok so 21 pounds is 21 pounds, right?

You should always use the same scale.

I went to Publix and there was a huge scale. I actually screamed as if i saw a spider when the HUGE dial went to 12 pounds:noway: above my actual weight. I mean the face of this scale is at least 3 ft across so everyone behind me for miles could see my weight :glasses: . I cried all the way home.:sad: :sad:

My 23 yr old son, who is wise beyond his years, pointed out that what matters is the numbers on MY scale.

Getting on that other scale didnt suddenly THROW me from my new jeans onto the floor and suddenly my old jeans came crawling back to sit on my behind!! :smooched: :smooched:

So enjoy your 21 pound weight loss and only weigh yourself on the 1 scale. All that matters is you are down 2 sizes, 21 POUNDS!! :happy:

Hurray!!:flowerforyou:
  • FitShark
    Options
    You are SO right! :flowerforyou: well said!