Man Cave - General Discussion

Options
MFP Brothers!

The last Man Cave thread went gang busters, but we discussed what was supposed to be a general topic into the ground. So I thought I would start a general discussion thread.

If you have a guy question, need a guy perspective, need a general kcik in the backend because you need motivation, or a general "manly hug" where you don't actually touch but thump eachother on the back - this is the place.

So let the discussion begin.

Replies

• mkrafick
    Options
    So, I am going to man up and state I totally fell off the wagon this weekend - please feel free to kick me in the butt.
    Lack of healthy options because we needed to grocery shop badly, eating because of stress, and a superbowl party caused me to fall off the wagon hard - worst in the year I have been losing weight. I gained 2-3lbs in one weekend.

How did your Super Bowl weekend go? Stay ont he beam, or fall off?

BTW - Any of you use the EA sports package for Wii. Looking for something different and the Wii Fit doesn't do it for me?
  • patio1313
    patio1313 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I had a tough weekend...Not only the Super Bowl but also my 10th wedding anniversary. I ate way too much of things that I shouldn't and also had a little more to drink than I should have but like I always say...life happens. I am back on track today and hope to make up over this week
  • jrueckert
    jrueckert Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I totally stayed on the wagon this weekend, and I'm so proud! We had a party at my parents' and we had tons of fruit and healthy dips laying around...we also made pizzas on english muffins. It worked fabulously!! We did pushups for every point scored and I burned 100 cals on the treadmill during that dreadful halftime show :)
  • rahawk93
    Options
    I fell off in a major way this weekend. I cant even justify it. It was ridiculous. I'm back on it today though. No more excuses for me!
  • knighttrain74
    knighttrain74 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    This weekend was tough.. not only was it the Super Bowl but also UFC 126.... I fell off a little but I didn't go over my cals because I forced myself to work out before watching the game
  • mkrafick
    Options
    @jrueckert - Push up for every point scored. That is freaking awesome!
  • dagreen419
    dagreen419 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Fellas.....I have hit a plateau that I have not been able to over come and feel like I am about to slip back into the abyss. I hit the local pizza buffet for lunch today. Been stuck between 251 and 249 for the past two weeks. I begin at 288 and lost down to 252 in a matter of a few months. All I have been doing is running 3 miles everyother day and using elliptical at home. On the brink of joining a gym, just dont know what to do. I would like to be at 230 by May 1st. I have a half marathon that I will be participating in as well in late April, so I am trying to lose more to help me complete it....really frustrated.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I'm a class clown and like to cut up. So whatever the rules are...I will probably break them or try to take the conversation an opposite direction.

My weekend was kind of a wash. Friday was food day at work which spiraled into a Nutritional Disaster. Saturday I was good, but I lifted and swam a half mile so there was some off-set there. Yesterday I ran in a 4 Mile Super Bowl Run and was good up until game time, at which point I stopped counting calories.

I don't know if my weight is down. But my belt is looser and I saw hip bone for the first time since September.

More winter weather coming in which tends to disrupt my workout schedule. Hate that.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I totally stayed on the wagon this weekend, and I'm so proud! We had a party at my parents' and we had tons of fruit and healthy dips laying around...we also made pizzas on english muffins. It worked fabulously!! We did pushups for every point scored and I burned 100 cals on the treadmill during that dreadful halftime show :)

I do what I call the Laundry Workout. My home gym shares the basement with the washer/dryer. Anytime I address the laundry I knock out 25 push-ups/25 sit-ups. I don't log it, it' just a bonus. Some days that work out is easier than others. The most I've done is 125 of each in an evening.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    bumping so i don't miss out on this thread
  • Ilovepeppers
    Ilovepeppers Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I'm not a guy but I was hoping to get some advice. I see push ups are very popular.. Try as I may I just can't do them but I would really like to begin. How did you begin? Do you just start with half a push up and move on to a full? Did you lift weights first? Any and all advice helps!
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Fellas.....I have hit a plateau that I have not been able to over come and feel like I am about to slip back into the abyss. I hit the local pizza buffet for lunch today. Been stuck between 251 and 249 for the past two weeks. I begin at 288 and lost down to 252 in a matter of a few months. All I have been doing is running 3 miles everyother day and using elliptical at home. On the brink of joining a gym, just dont know what to do. I would like to be at 230 by May 1st. I have a half marathon that I will be participating in as well in late April, so I am trying to lose more to help me complete it....really frustrated.

First off man, congrats on losing almost 40 pounds!! That's a tough thing to do. Second, if you are running three miles every other day and getting on the elliptical and nothing else, you're bored. A few months of doing the same two things over and over will bore anyone to tears. Mix it up. Ride a bike. Go shoot some hoops. Run sprints instead of a few miles. Just do something to challenge yourself and make your workout different. I promise you'll feel better.

Also, if you are going to do a half in late April, get a training program or join Team in Training or something. You HAVE to have a plan to be ready for something like that. And make sure you have a good pair of running shoes or you'll hurt yourself. Don't just go to the store and pick up a cheap pair. Go to a store that specializes in running and have them fit you. Trust me, it's worth it.

Good luck getting motivated again man. You'll do great!!!
  • mkrafick
    Options
    @Ilovepeppers - First, I love the screenname, freaking awesome.

Actually, push ups are really tough, even for guys - but when you do it regularly it makes a very big difference very very fast. To start, you can apprach it a few ways.
    1) Find a bench, couch, or something between knee and waist hight (higher = easier) - Place your hands on the serface so your arm make a 90 Degree angle down (up most position), and bring your nose/chest about an inch from the object that you are pushing up against (lowest position) - all the while your toes/feet are the pivot point. Starting at a higher angle will be easier at first, as you get proficient, lower the angle. and eventually get to the ground.
    2) instead of doing a push-up on the ground with a straight back from your toes, drop to your knees and start from there - your knees become the pivot point (its actually called a "girl push up").

In both cases try to fight the urge to stick your butt in the air - keep your body, back, butt straight. Also remember your upper body strength is going to suck compared to a guy - so be patient. Start with one set of 15, as many as you can do.

@dagreen419 - Dude, you are doing this the hard way. To break the plateau, do a few things.

1) Watch your sugar intake - you drinking a coke, snacking on ice cream, anything sugary even if under calories to treat yourself? If you are, cut it out for a few days. That sugar spike increases insulin and signals the body to store fat.

2) Stop doing only cardio, you are really doing the "take one step forward and 2 steps back" thing. Cardio will help, especially in the begining. But eventually you will plateau - you MUST work in some strength training, even if it is a little bit. I fought and fought doing this because it made me uncomfortable - but it makes a HUGE difference. Now I work out an hour 3x a week and spen 30-40 min strength training and on 20-30 cardio. Start small, with something you are comfortable with - machines at the gym for example, or resistance bands at home, or even weights on your ankles and wrists as you run. If you ned help here send me a instant message and I can walk you through what I did offline.

3) Stop the treadmill and elliptical for a bit, your body is used to it - switch to the Bike, Stairmaster, or swimming and don't do one thing too many times in a row, keep switching. You need to swicth this up regularly to confuse your body.

4) Spend about 2 weeks zig-zagging your calories. If your target is 1800 - eat 1500 one day, 2000 the next, 1800 after that.
  • dagreen419
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback.....I have ran two 5k's since December and trained for 12 weeks for the first one with a trainer who gave me running guidence and instruction. I am actually on my second pair of shoes, these have been professionaly fitted from a local running store and feel wonderful. I have been trying to stick to my training plan that I have for the half, but have slacked off over the last week. Just not feeling it. My last run, I was averaging a 9 minute mile and made it two miles before I just wore down. I am not trying to run the entire half, but would like to do intervals of running and walking and average a 12 minute mile.
  • cghiggins518
    cghiggins518 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Gentleman

First off lets give congrats to the Packers. Nice job. I hate the Steelers ever since they beat my Seahawks a few years back in the Super Bowl. Great game.

Its only one weekend. If we dont enjoy ourselves from time to time then eventually we would just quit. Most likely its water weight you are dealing with. I find it hard to believe someone can gain a few pounds in one weekend. I think you will see you will go back to the weight you were at in a couple days. Back on the horse today and lets go get it.

HERE WE GO!
  • dagreen419
    Options
    @Ilovepeppers - First, I love the screenname, freaking awesome.

Actually, push ups are really tough, even for guys - but when you do it regularly it makes a very big difference very very fast. To start, you can apprach it a few ways.
    1) Find a bench, couch, or something between knee and waist hight (higher = easier) - Place your hands on the serface so your arm make a 90 Degree angle down (up most position), and bring your nose/chest about an inch from the object that you are pushing up against (lowest position) - all the while your toes/feet are the pivot point. Starting at a higher angle will be easier at first, as you get proficient, lower the angle. and eventually get to the ground.
    2) instead of doing a push-up on the ground with a straight back from your toes, drop to your knees and start from there - your knees become the pivot point (its actually called a "girl push up").

In both cases try to fight the urge to stick your butt in the air - keep your body, back, butt straight. Also remember your upper body strength is going to suck compared to a guy - so be patient. Start with one set of 15, as many as you can do.

@dagreen419 - Dude, you are doing this the hard way. To break the plateau, do a few things.

1) Watch your sugar intake - you drinking a coke, snacking on ice cream, anything sugary even if under calories to treat yourself? If you are, cut it out for a few days. That sugar spike increases insulin and signals the body to store fat.

2) Stop doing only cardio, you are really doing the "take one step forward and 2 steps back" thing. Cardio will help, especially in the begining. But eventually you will plateau - you MUST work in some strength training, even if it is a little bit. I fought and fought doing this because it made me uncomfortable - but it makes a HUGE difference. Now I work out an hour 3x a week and spen 30-40 min strength training and on 20-30 cardio. Start small, with something you are comfortable with - machines at the gym for example, or resistance bands at home, or even weights on your ankles and wrists as you run. If you ned help here send me a instant message and I can walk you through what I did offline.

3) Stop the treadmill and elliptical for a bit, your body is used to it - switch to the Bike, Stairmaster, or swimming and don't do one thing too many times in a row, keep switching. You need to swicth this up regularly to confuse your body.

4) Spend about 2 weeks zig-zagging your calories. If your target is 1800 - eat 1500 one day, 2000 the next, 1800 after that.

I will give those tips a shot, going to visit a good gym close to home today. Gotta get back on track! Thanks!
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Gentleman

First off lets give congrats to the Packers. Nice job. I hate the Steelers ever since they beat my Seahawks a few years back in the Super Bowl. Great game.

Its only one weekend. If we dont enjoy ourselves from time to time then eventually we would just quit. Most likely its water weight you are dealing with. I find it hard to believe someone can gain a few pounds in one weekend. I think you will see you will go back to the weight you were at in a couple days. Back on the horse today and lets go get it.

HERE WE GO!

More like beer and pulled pork weight...:laugh:
  • prchske
    prchske Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have a terrible sweet tooth and did over do it a bit at the super bowl party. The only good thing was that I knew I was going to a party, so I ran 4 miles beforehand to help offset the calorie intake.

I also noticed some threads going on here about workouts. I just started a new one today from muscleandstrength.com. I find this site is a good source for finding new workout routines. The key is to have access to a gym. Below is a sample one I just started today. Best of luck to everyone!

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/33-the-giant-set-routine-.html
  • kilojoule
    Options
    yes bad weekend for me also - i did do a 2 hour workout last night after the game to offset all the carbs i inhaled. Also got up at 5 for another hour on the bike before eating breakfast. Overall i burned about 1500 calories to help offset the pizza, beer, cereal...

great thread! Im glad to be back at work where I can focus on my job and stay out of the kitchen (plus cycling 60miles RT gives me lots of wiggle room to eat)! Being bored and in close proximity to my kitchen is DANGEROUS! I need to lose 10 more lbs to hit my target. I got freaking close a month ago (within 3lbs) but have since gained 8lbs or so from weekend binging.
  • jdorais
    jdorais Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I gorged myself on 4 slices of pizza and 8oz of Johnny Walker Black during the super bowl at my local cigar bar.