Pull up!!

Options
msarro
msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
I can't believe it. My apartment has a pull up bar, and yesterday afternoon I grabbed on to see if I could crack my back. As I was hanging, I figured, "what the hell?" and tried pulling myself up. I've never been able to do a chin up in my entire life, so I didn't expect anything.

But I started moving up. And the next thing I knew, I was looking at the bar, and then the top of the door jam.

I dropped down and was like, "wtf, did that really just happen?"

I've been ecstatic about it ever since. Now my next goal: two pull ups!

Replies

• msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I can't believe it. My apartment has a pull up bar, and yesterday afternoon I grabbed on to see if I could crack my back. As I was hanging, I figured, "what the hell?" and tried pulling myself up. I've never been able to do a chin up in my entire life, so I didn't expect anything.

But I started moving up. And the next thing I knew, I was looking at the bar, and then the top of the door jam.

I dropped down and was like, "wtf, did that really just happen?"

I've been ecstatic about it ever since. Now my next goal: two pull ups!
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    What an unexpected surprise!

Nice.:drinker:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Good job! Heck, I bet if I tried I could do oh 1/2 a pull-up--the first half with my feet still on the floor :tongue:

01AwcAX166ZKUAAAABAAAAAAAAAAA_.jpg
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I'm jealous ! ! !

Two things I can't do -- chin-ups, and running (bad knees).

Lucky you!! Congratulations!!:flowerforyou:
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! I was not able to do them until I did P90X. Now I can do them and I still feel sooo strong every time I do them! They are an awesome exercise, keep it up!

Jess
  • cp005e
    cp005e Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Congrats! That is awesome!

Maybe when I get a little further along in the pushup challenge I will see if I can find a pull-up bar to try one. :tongue:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    YAY!! :flowerforyou:
  • Thrust
    Thrust Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Pull-ups are one of the BEST exercises for developing the lats. They'll give you wings better than Red Bull :laugh:

Congrats!
  • It's amazing how much we underestimate pullsup, eh? I used to crack out 7 in a single session but due to my recent laziness for the past three months, I'm surprised I can still do at least one.

Congrats to you pal! Here's to us pulling ourselves up more often!
  • p90x_Dude
    Options
    :happy: one of the toughest things to do in fitness because don't usually walk around pulling out body weight. Keep it up, use a chair to counterbalance your weight until you can work up to a goal.

When I started p90x I could do 2-3 and now in the beginning of week 7 I can do 9-10. I'm pretty pysched since I weigh ~285 lbs. I'm shooting to be able to knock out 12-15 without rest....woo hoo.

Keep it coming, YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!
  • carvan
    carvan Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Yay for you. I have been training on pullups for 8 months, doing assisted, first with a chair now with a resistance band looped over the bar with knee on it. Maybe I could do one, and that would be a chinup or close grip pull up! Keep practicing, great workout for you body.

PS: Now you have made me decide to try an unassisted pullup tomorrow!
  • p90x_Dude
    Options
    Yay for you. I have been training on pullups for 8 months, doing assisted, first with a chair now with a resistance band looped over the bar with knee on it. Maybe I could do one, and that would be a chinup or close grip pull up! Keep practicing, great workout for you body.

YOU CAN DO IT, YOU CAN DO DAT UNASSISTED PULLUP!!!
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options

Did you try it, Carol?? I'm sure you can do them now!

Jess
  • carvan
    Options

Did you try it, Carol?? I'm sure you can do them now!

Jess

Not yet, Jess! Waiting for this old hip to feel a bit better. Maybe tomorrow!

Carol
  • p90x_Dude
    Options
    Keep us posted Carol I'm predicting (2) solid pull ups.
  • carvan
    Options
    Keep us posted Carol I'm predicting (2) solid pull ups.

LOL< I wish!!

I am going to email you about my hip. Need some professional advice

Carol
  • ranhound
    ranhound Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way about pull ups. I just bought one of those combination pullup/dip/captain's chair towers. I can't do one. Of course I weigh 210 pounds so I just tried hanging there and I injured my ligaments I think. So after an injury lay off I have been using the lat machine to build up my chin up strength. Back 15 years ago when I could actually do do a couple pull ups I tried the dropping technique I read about in muscle magazines: First, warm up first with light weight curls and/or rowing, then somehow start at the top position with your chin already at the bar and slowly lower yourself to the lowest point (the normal starting point) and repeat. The negative movement from the "slow drops" will make those "pull upward" muscles stronger. You will also be able to do a higher number of "drops" compared to one pull up. After a warm up, maybe do your one pull up for the first set, and as many drops as you can do for a second or third sets. When I was a member of a gym last year I discovered that they actually have weight assisted pull up and dip machines now. They're great for out of shape people like me.:wink:

89050.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting