How do you use the recipe calculator?

Options
So I'm going to try this whole "Making a bunch of soup/chili/etc and freezing it" thing, but I need to know how to calculate the recipes. I have a slew of questions, so be patient!

Let's say for instance I want to make a batch of chili. Do I log the whole can, calorie wise? One "serving?" How do I know what a portion is?

Silly questions, I know, but I'm lost! Please help :)

Replies

• ndetlefsen
    ndetlefsen Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I load everything in (full cans, etc) and then estimate how may servings and break it down that way. Works pretty well for me.
  • cmyrick75
    cmyrick75 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I was going to say the same thing. I load everything I stick in the pot and then when it says how many servings, I either measure it out or i estimate.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    I load everything in (full cans, etc) and then estimate how may servings and break it down that way. Works pretty well for me.
    Yep!! This is what I do. Input every ingredient you are adding to the pot (so 1 large carrot, one whole can of kidney beans, etc) and estimate how many servings/cups it yields. It's not a perfect science but it will get you a rough idea of how much you are eating. Just try to be honest with the serving sizes and if you want to be a little more "sure", measure out the final product into equal individual servings for storage and then divide the recipe accordingly.
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you adjust your totals for any canned ingredients to include the entire can and not just the 1 serving NI on the can. :wink:
  • onefasternurse
    onefasternurse Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Figure up the entire dish, then divide it into a normal serving for you. You can create a recipe out of that single serving so you dont have to log each ingredient multiple times. Freezing single servings seperatley should save time too :)
  • k8t419
    k8t419 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    one serving is normally the size of your palm
  • innerfashionista
    innerfashionista Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!