Low budget recipes?

2»

Replies

• niclagi
    niclagi Posts: 177 Member
    Great ideas.
  • Know what your staples are and where they are located in your grocery store. Be willing to travel to two to three local grocers. Know what you need from each store and avoid all of the processed prepackage stuff.

If you have an Aldi's near buy, even if it is a short drive, it is sooooo worth it. Frozen veggies are usually really cheap and often better for you then fresh because they are packed at the peak of their season and don't loose as many nutrients in the shipping process. Consider growing some of your own veggies, even if you don't have space, many of them will grow in containers. At Wal- Mart (and I despise that place but can't fully get away from it) you can get frozen tubes of Jenno ground turkey for cheap. Just do not buy that mechanically separated use like ground beef crap right next to it, it's like cat food in a plastic tube!!!! FInd the cheap meals that you can double up on and eat them twice. Know what your staples are and buy larger amounts these then focus on your meats, drink water and tea, our brita pitcher saves us tons of $$$ at the store.

Frozen veggies and chicken or rice
    Crock Pot Soups Chili, potato soup, minestrone, soup beans and corn bread :D
    Tilapia and Brown rice about 350 calories and about $7.00 per meal
    Tater tot casserole- not the lowest in calorie but is filling and about $5.00 for the whole meal if you buy the ground turkey tubes
    one bag frozen tater tots
    one cream of chicken and one of cream of mushroom (consider looking for healthful homemade alternatives : learn to make healthful soup bases and make them ahead, say on Sundays)
    1-2 pounds ground turkey or hamburger (we cut out hamburger a long time ago and my and it reduced the amount of $$$ I spend in groceries. I buy more produce and still save $$$
    one can evap milk

Fry up your meat and mix the soup and evap milk in and pour into your baking dish full frozen tater tots. Bake it until its done.
    Got it from the Duggars website

Buy large amounts of apples: we prepare apples with many of our main dishes. It replaces many unhealthy and unnecessary calories. Apple slices with sammich's, fried in olive oil and creams, and spices, fried apples and pork chops, fried apples and french toast w/eggs, apple dippers, etc.
  • Know what your staples are and where they are located in your grocery store. Be willing to travel to two to three local grocers. Know what you need from each store and avoid all of the processed prepackage stuff.

If you have an Aldi's near buy, even if it is a short drive, it is sooooo worth it. Frozen veggies are usually really cheap and often better for you then fresh because they are packed at the peak of their season and don't loose as many nutrients in the shipping process. Consider growing some of your own veggies, even if you don't have space, many of them will grow in containers. At Wal- Mart (and I despise that place but can't fully get away from it) you can get frozen tubes of Jenno ground turkey for cheap. Just do not buy that mechanically separated use like ground beef crap right next to it, it's like cat food in a plastic tube!!!! FInd the cheap meals that you can double up on and eat them twice. Know what your staples are and buy larger amounts these then focus on your meats, drink water and tea, our brita pitcher saves us tons of $$$ at the store.

Frozen veggies and chicken or rice
    Crock Pot Soups Chili, potato soup, minestrone, soup beans and corn bread :D
    Tilapia and Brown rice about 350 calories and about $7.00 per meal
    Tater tot casserole- not the lowest in calorie but is filling and about $5.00 for the whole meal if you buy the ground turkey tubes
    one bag frozen tater tots
    one cream of chicken and one of cream of mushroom (consider looking for healthful homemade alternatives : learn to make healthful soup bases and make them ahead, say on Sundays)
    1-2 pounds ground turkey or hamburger (we cut out hamburger a long time ago and my and it reduced the amount of $$$ I spend in groceries. I buy more produce and still save $$$
    one can evap milk

Fry up your meat and mix the soup and evap milk in and pour into your baking dish full frozen tater tots. Bake it until its done.
    Got it from the Duggars website

Buy large amounts of apples: we prepare apples with many of our main dishes. It replaces many unhealthy and unnecessary calories. Apple slices with sammich's, fried in olive oil and creams, and spices, fried apples and pork chops, fried apples and french toast w/eggs, apple dippers, etc.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Success at the grocery store! 73 items for $83. Not bad. Love coupons.
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    TUNA FISH!!!!!!!!! It's awesome...My newest favorite recipe:

(2) 5 oz cans tuna IN WATER
    (1) large egg
    1/2 cup Fat Free Cottage Cheese
    Salt and Pepper to taste

Mix all this stuff up and make into patties..They will be slightly loose, but they will stay together..Cook on medium heat until brown on each side...

If you add a frozen veggie and an uncle ben's brown rice, this meal literally costs about 4.99
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Salad can be really cheap if you buy your own head of cabbage and dice it up. You can add all kinds of things to the salads, grilled chicken, chopped turkey and ham, etc. Tomatoes can be really cheap if you look at all of the different kinds. The Roma Tomatoes seem to be the cheapest for me, but if you are using them in a salad, it doesn't matter what kind you buy, so you can buy the cheapest & cut them as needed. You can also make your own croutons by cutting up stale bread and drizzling some oil on them, then baking until they are crisp enough for your taste!

Big bags of frozen veggies are also great because you can divide them and use them in different recipes without worrying about them going to waste.

I would also add that even though most fruits are more expensive right now due to off-season, most stores put one or two on sale per week. Look for what fruits are on sale that week, and try to base two dinners a week around those fruits (instead of making your menu before and buying around that menu). Then you are cooking healthy meals and saving money!
  • yum!
  • djthom
    djthom Posts: 651 Member
    bump:smile:
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Shop the sales, use coupons, navigate the weekly grocery flyers, and eat what's IN SEASON.

Also, try this: http://budgetbytes.blogspot.com/
  • bump :)
  • natl27
    natl27 Posts: 30 Member
    tag
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    I am sooooo going to have to try some of these recipies. I'd like to cut my grocery bill as well so these tips/ideas will come in handy.
  • CeejayGee
    CeejayGee Posts: 299 Member
    Try eating less meat - it's actually pretty expensive. Substitute beans....

Soups are usually cheap and not too expensive. Chili is a good for the winter!
This discussion has been closed.