Calling all of those that make their lunches for the week.

Options
2»

Replies

• catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I normally bring wraps for lunch... a little lean protein, tons of veggies, and some mustard. You can switch out the protein (chicken, tuna, cheese) and have a variety of veggies so it's not exactly the same every day, but I am a creature of habit!

I made chili yesterday, so I will bring that a couple of days as well.
  • cmyrick75
    cmyrick75 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I bring breakfast, lunch, and snacks for the day. I usually have oatmeal or a cottage cheese double (breakstone's cottage cheese and pineapple) for breakfast. and then i'll make a salad (with fixings separate so its doesn't get wilted) with either tuna, or leftover chicken on top. Then, I also bring a banana or some fresh veggies for snacks throughout the day.
  • manymuses
    manymuses Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Pre-make a few turkey and vegetable wraps using low-carb tortillas. I use roasted red peppers, romaine and fat free veggie dip in mine, but you could try spinach and feta cheese or hummus and grilled chicken, etc.

You can also bake ahead some mini egg white omelettes in muffin tins and take those in your lunch. Broccoli and cheese or spinach and feta works well for those to add some veggies into your diet.

Or make a big pot of soup on the weekend and take the leftovers to work!

Hope the ideas help.
  • CaraRadz
    CaraRadz Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I found this jambalaya recipe on Hungry Girl: http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/1603

I haven't tried it yet (maybe tonight since I bought the ingredients over the weekend), but it sounds awesome. It would also be easy to portion it out for lunches!
  • JenniferAutumn
    JenniferAutumn Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I just make an extra serving or two at supper, package it individually in microwave ready containers, and grab one on my way out the door to heat up at lunch. It is almost easier than buying something like Lean Cuisine, I get my own cooking so I know what is in it, and it is no more work because I was cooking at supper anyway.

Exactly what I do and add some fruit and off to hell- I mean work I go =)
  • jillMoose
    jillMoose Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    lunch this week is grilled chicken (with a melted slice of american cheese), a baked sweet potato (with a little salt) and broccoli.... all made on sunday!
  • Cristy_AZ
    Options
    Here's an easy one (I just copied it out of my recipes, sorry for the brand names)
    Ingredients Corn - Sweet, yellow, canned, whole kernel, drained solids,
    Del Monte - Stewed Tomatoes - Italian Recipe , 1 container
    Chicken Broth - 33% Less Sodium (Swanson),
    Trader Joe's - Mirepoix-Carrots, Celery, Onion,
    Great Value - Canned Black Beans, 1 container (1 4/5 cups ea.)
    Fresh Raw - Zuchini, 0.5 cup

Makes 4 servings

Calories Carbs Protein Sodium Sugar Sat Fat

Total: 778 150 40 4229 36 0
    per serving 195 38 10 1057 9 0

if you drain and rinse or make ingredients from fresh you can lower the sodium
    just mix it all together and season with cumin and garlic or whatever you like.

Divide into 4 tupperware containers and you're set!
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    Two days a week I don't have a way to heat my lunches, so I stick to old-school sandwiches with fruit--apple or banana so there is no prep required--and an ice pack. Somedays a slim fast shake and fruit or a few crackers makes an easy lunch. Also, lunchables for adults, lol..."Deli Creations" come in little packs just like kids lunchables and come in all kinds of varieties like Ham and Swiss, Ham and Cheddar, Turkey and Cheddar sandwiches. South Beach Diet has some good chicken wraps (also by the lunchables at the grocery store) that have grilled chicken, cheese, dressing, and a little tortilla wrap.

You could also make chicken salad, with canned chicken, miracle whip, celery, grapes, etc. and spread that over a sandwich or just eat it with crackers. (or tuna salad, etc.)
  • bminnick
    Options
    I know you said your not a big salad eater but I have been stuck on this and it is so easy for lunches!
    Spinach leaves (organic I just buy a container for the week)
    chicken breast (they have in the lunch meat area- strips)
    mandarin oranges (small containers and drain)
    croutons (whole grain count out 5)
    Ken's Raspberry Walnut Vinaigrette (2 tbs)

It's a sweeter salad but so delicious! Feel free to add nuts as well I just choose not to.
  • LoveOfMyLife
    Options
    I used to have the same problem. Each week I work four 12hr shifts back-to-back. I wake up early and get home late, so the last thing I wanted to do between shifts is cook for the next days meals. However, in the last few months I've gotten really good at preparing my meals before my set of shifts start. These are foods I always have in my fridge/freeze/pantry now (they're all really easy to pack quickly before bed or early before work)
    cottage cheese, blueberries, greek yogurt, all bran buds, frozen mixed berries, frozen mixed veggies, ryvita thin crisps, tuna salad, grilled chicken breast/salmon (we grill a new batch every few nights), washed lettuce and other salad ingredients, roasted veggies (good for a few days), quinoa salad, vegetable/shrimp/tofu stir fry with whole wheat pasta (this takes 15 minutes to make and is good for about 5 days), skinny cow cheese, whole wheat english muffins, hummus, whole wheat pita's, baby carrots.
    I take turns packing all of these foods, and eat my breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks at work. They give me lots of energy and help me save a ton of money!
    Hope that is somewhat helpful!