Running pain.

Options
Hey guys its been awhile since I've been on here(if anyone remembers me) didn't talk a lot when I was here but enough to be active, but anyway to catch up I had been going to the gym to try to lose weight, I tried a mix of weight training and running on the elliptical machine. One night after work my friends wanted to go running on the boulevard and I thought I was ready, I could go for 50 minutes on the elliptical and honestly barely break a sweat. I was in for a big surprise, after about 10 minutes I was breathless and it felt like that was a bigger workout in 10 minutes than in my hour and a half workout at the gym. So I decided to just go running for my exercise to lose weight.

Well now to my problem, I have a friend on the track team here, he barely lost first place in the state championships and placed second for running (not sure what distance and what his time was but he was very fast and a good runner I've been running with him before) so I trust him when he talks to be about running. I'm overweight and when I run for about 5 mintues I get this pain in my right side about 8 inches under my armpit, he says that it is because I have a weak core and that a running magazine he was reading says the only way to fix it is to work it out and keep running. I trust him because I mean it does only hurt after I start running.

Tonight I started getting this really bad pain that went down my neck and close to my shoulder, only thing that worries me is that its on the same side of my body, my right side.

So what I'm asking is Should I get this checked out by a doctor or is it going to be fine

TL;DR(Too long didn't read)- I have a pain on my right side my friend said its normal while running now I have a pain in my neck on the same side should I get it checked out.

Replies

• Justinstrong
    Options
    Hey guys its been awhile since I've been on here(if anyone remembers me) didn't talk a lot when I was here but enough to be active, but anyway to catch up I had been going to the gym to try to lose weight, I tried a mix of weight training and running on the elliptical machine. One night after work my friends wanted to go running on the boulevard and I thought I was ready, I could go for 50 minutes on the elliptical and honestly barely break a sweat. I was in for a big surprise, after about 10 minutes I was breathless and it felt like that was a bigger workout in 10 minutes than in my hour and a half workout at the gym. So I decided to just go running for my exercise to lose weight.

Well now to my problem, I have a friend on the track team here, he barely lost first place in the state championships and placed second for running (not sure what distance and what his time was but he was very fast and a good runner I've been running with him before) so I trust him when he talks to be about running. I'm overweight and when I run for about 5 mintues I get this pain in my right side about 8 inches under my armpit, he says that it is because I have a weak core and that a running magazine he was reading says the only way to fix it is to work it out and keep running. I trust him because I mean it does only hurt after I start running.

Tonight I started getting this really bad pain that went down my neck and close to my shoulder, only thing that worries me is that its on the same side of my body, my right side.

So what I'm asking is Should I get this checked out by a doctor or is it going to be fine

TL;DR(Too long didn't read)- I have a pain on my right side my friend said its normal while running now I have a pain in my neck on the same side should I get it checked out.
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    It sounds like a cramp. I get them too. Same spot as a matter of fact. You might ask your doctor about it when you get the chance just to be on the safe side. After I stop running and get some fluids in, they go away.

Don't know about the one in your neck, but occasionally I'll run tense and my neck and shoulder will hurt because I'm running with my shoulders up.

Not an expert, just getting back into running after 15 years out of the game. Talking to a sports medicine professional would probably be your best bet.
  • alyfin
    alyfin Posts: 103
    Options
    The neck and shoulder pain sounds like it might be a pinched nerve. Does it feel almost like a burning sensation along a wire?
    If it is a pinched nerve, stretching helps (it will also help tense muscles), and make sure you keep your shoulders loose and relaxed while you are running, not hunched around your ears. If the pain persists massages and chiropractic adjustments will usually help. If you don't have a chiropractor find a reputable one who specializes in neck problems.
    Good luck and welcome to the world of running. Hope you fall in love with it like many of us have.
  • paulamma1
    paulamma1 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Ah, the internet, isn't it a wonderful thing?

PLEASE remember, you are asking questions into the wide open space.

Yes, you'll get a lot of opinions. Mind included.

Personally, I would use these blogs for: jokes, "guess what happened to me today" issues, etc. but when it comes to something wrong with your body? please go to an expert.

Ask your question sure, but, think, would you walk up to a total stranger on the street and ask him advice about investing your last $5,000 in the whole world and your life depended on it?

So, back to your question. STOP RUNNING WITH AN ELITE ATHELETE. Start your running slowly. Work with a training schedule from your perspective. Your gender, your age, your weight, your fitness level. If it hurts STOP!

But that's just me. :blushing:
  • Justinstrong
    Options
    Posts by members, moderators and admins should not be considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy.

I read the bottom of the screen, what I was mainly looking for to see if anyone else here has had this problem before. And when I said I ran with him was that I ran with a group of friends but I was soon behind them. Very far behind them hah, but once he stopped running when he had caught back up with me and started talking with me about things work and running and school. But anyway I wasn't contesting with him.
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Okay - yes have had this happen in both spots. The neck (for me) was my shoulder tension, try to relax your arms and kinda shake 'em out when you run to remind yourself to relax. Let them swing naturally.

The side -- when did you last eat before it happened? Are you drinking water prior to running? Try holding your hands above your head next time it happens to stretch the muscle.

Each person is different and some people can eat 30 min before running others 3 hrs or they have issues. But, I would think it is cramping due to either too much, too little, food or water.
    And have to agree - always seek advice from a doc if anything persists.