Exercise in your living room?

Options
Sometimes I'm really motivated to exercise (but not motivated to get dressed and go outside!) so I wanted to know what everyone does at home to exercise without leaving the house. Also, it can't cost alot of money or take up much space, as I have neither. Thanks!

Replies

• kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Turbo Jam
    The Firm
    30 Day Shred

I have the same issue with space and I've been able to do all of these in my tiny living room!
  • BrandNewMia
    Options
    Do you have digital cable? We have AT&T Uverse, and we used to have Comcast, but they both had free work out videos (like DOZENS of them) in the On Demand section.

If you don't have that option, you can find workout DVDs for pretty cheap. I saw someone post that they found Jillian Michael's 30-day shred for $9, and that is a GREAT workout, totally worth every penny. I like Denise Austin aerobics, and Billy Blanks Jr. too. Maybe check Amazon and see what prices you can beat?
  • loseit4good52
    Options
    I LOVE Leslie Sansone's Walk at Home DVD...its so easy to do and fun! She has a 1, 2 and 3 mile walk and also a 500 step one that only takes 5 minutes!
  • bjmk19047
    Options
    Zumba DVD. In my bedroom without the peanut gallery (AKA my daughter).
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I'm doing P90X Now, because I can do it in my living room. I started with Wii Active in my living room. And I love my kettlebell routines also great for my living room. Any DVD can be done in your home. I'm not a gym person, so home work outs are my favorite.

If you have netflix,order DVD's to try before you buy.
  • jellyfishjen
    jellyfishjen Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options
    I don't have much space either, and what there is I take up most of it, but I manage to do the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred exercise DVD. And its a good workout and I like that I can wear any old thing. I use a doona folded as a mat and at first for weights, 2 cans of beans. I have since been given hand weights. The DVD cost $15 AUS.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred, No More Trouble Zones, Banish Fat/Boost Metabolism, Yoga Meltdown, all $9 each at Walmart. 2 do not require weights, the other two you can get by with 3-5 lb weights so an extra $5 (although weights are not required). I've done these, plus P90X, Insanity (although they cost $70-$120) all in my living room. I agree with workouts on demand. AT&T and TimeWarner cable have them. Not sure what cable company you have but it's something to look in to.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I do have Turbo Fire and other vaious DVD's that I do plus some resistance bands and a free weight set going up to 40 lbs. but sometimes there are days that I don't feel like following a plan so I just turn up some music and dance like a fool!! These honestly are the days where I burn the most calories, have the most fun and feel so refreshed!!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I know you said it can't cost a lot of $$, but I do Biggest Loser Challenge on my Wii. It's fun & gets me some calories burned ;)
  • patio1313
    patio1313 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I alot of times do some good old fashioned running in place followed by sets of sit ups, push ups and leg squats...I put on 21st Century Breakdown by Green Day and run through almost the whole thing (some songs get skipped) then do the stregth training
  • LettyM62
    LettyM62 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Yoga
  • cmusil
    Options
    Try Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. The DVD cost about 20 bucks depending where you find it and then all you will need is an exercise mat(depending if you are working out on a hard floor), hand weights( 2lds) and 20 minutes a day!
    If find this workout to be quite intense , so listen to your body cuz you don't need to be hurting yourself.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Yoga

And yogajournal.com has a series of routines/flows if, like me, your home practice isn't well developed.....
  • shananigins16
    shananigins16 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    How ironic...I just did this very thing! It's storming here and I'm working from home today so couldn't use the gym at work.

I started with a warm-up session (ended up doing a 5 minute zumba warm up that I found on you tube)
    Then I did 3x12reps of the following:
    push ups
    lateral shoulder raise
    bent over row
    back extensions
    hammer curl
    tri extension
    dead lifts
    stationary lunges
    squats
    bicycle crunches
    sit ups

You can use dumb bells or an exercise band...or even anything that has weight to it that you have lying around. You could even do the exercises really slow and use your own body weight.

Hope that helps!

ps - don't forget to stretch too!
  • JoJo1953
    JoJo1953 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    You can jog in place. Rent some dvds from your local library. Jumping jacks, jump rope.:flowerforyou:
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Try Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. The DVD cost about 20 bucks depending where you find it and then all you will need is an exercise mat(depending if you are working out on a hard floor), hand weights( 2lds) and 20 minutes a day!
    If find this workout to be quite intense , so listen to your body cuz you don't need to be hurting yourself.

The Jillian Michaels as well as BIggest Loser dvd's are great and all average about $10 at walmart or target :)
  • Annetted
    Annetted Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I exercise using ON DEMAND which my cable company provides. It has lots of free workouts. My favorite is by Leslie Sansone and is like step arobics without the step. It is approved by the American Heart Association and has a couple of levels. You really do work up a sweat. I consider it as low impact aerobics in MFP. I also bought her "walk Fit" level 1, 2 & 3. I use that sometimes also. I got it for a good price on line but free is better if your cable company has exercise ON DEMAND.
  • mindy14456
    mindy14456 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I am completely addicted to Turbo Fire and Turbo Jam. It is so great to be able to workout in my livingroom before work, without having to rush here and there. Good luck finding that workout that makes you excited to get at it every day! :smile:
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I don't have much space either, and what there is I take up most of it,

Hey! I have that same problem! lol
  • Annetted
    Annetted Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    some cable companies have it for free on their ON DEMAND exercise option! You can try out many different types. I think one of her workouts is on my Comcast cable.