Vegetarian Days

Options
rmhand
rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
I'm thinking about doing something like a "vegetarian Wednesday" or eating vegetarian lunches every day.

I think it will be good motivation to explore new foods including lean proteins and good for me fats.

Has anyone tried this or do this regularly? Anyone see other pros or cons?

Thanks!

Replies

• mixmastermolly
    Options
    You should absolutely do this. Your body will thank you!
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I think that's a great idea. Especially for the purpose of trying foods you may not otherwise try. I have had Quorn, used in a vegetarian shepard's pie, and it was delicious.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    My wife is vegetarian and I eat most of what she makes for herself. I believe I only eat mean 3-4 meals a week nopw, whereas I use to eat meat 2 meals/day.
  • emh009
    emh009 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I used to be a total carnivore but I've been cutting back and it's great! I've always liked tofu but I'm finding new ways to cook it (stir fry with tons of veggies and hoisin sauce will always be my favorite though) and beans are also super versatile. It's really not as hard as you think it might be to not eat meat, plus vegetarian protein options are less calories! Definite bonus!
  • foxylady8098
    Options
    If you are going something like this, I would do vegan days, not vegetarian. I know plenty of vegetarians that eat TERRIBLY!!! At least with a vegan day, you wouldn't be eating cheese, most breads, sweets, or drinking milk.
  • Whitfield517
    Options
    Myself and a co-woker are doing a meat free week (today is the first day) to help jump start our healthy eating. While I know that I will not be able to stop eating meat forever I think that by making myself think of other foods that will be healthy is good for my long term goals. I have been online looking at different veggies that are filling and can be used in a variety of ways. Tonight I am going to try roasted egglant for the first time and if I like it I can then add it into my regualr diet. I think that going meat free for a short time is a good way to make yourself think outside the box when it comes to food and cooking. Good luck in meeting your goals!
  • rmhand
    Options
    Wow! I really appreciate everyone's positive feedback. I am definitely more motivated now. I'll have to check out some good recipes and find something new and vegetarian to make.

I think I will try vegetarian and then maybe vegan. It will be easier for me to give up some meat than to give up milk and cheese.
  • LizGogol
    LizGogol Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    It is soooooooo much easier maintaining a healthy weight when cutting out meats! Fish still has a lot of good fats so you should do a fish day too!

Vegetarian chili is delicious! You can even make it with ground soy.
  • kimwig
    kimwig Posts: 164
    Options
    I'm thinking about doing something like a "vegetarian Wednesday" or eating vegetarian lunches every day.

I think it will be good motivation to explore new foods including lean proteins and good for me fats.

Has anyone tried this or do this regularly? Anyone see other pros or cons?

Thanks!
    As a vegan ( since April) there is no harm at all in doing this, making sure you eat sensibly. You may really enjoy it and go for a meat free week.

Not eating meat, diary (no cheese, milk, cream) or eggs has helped me lose wait, become trim, gain energy. I eat well and from a broad range of things, and never get bored with my diet.

I stopped getting headaches, bloating (probably from the diary) and my skin is so much better. Recently someone asked my age, thinking I was mid thirties... I am 50. A year ago I probably looked 50.
  • bahrainbel
    Options
    i do vegetarian everyday, i would just say be careful on not overdoing the carbs. i gained 10llbs last year (joined her to lose it), and it's only now i write down my meals, i realise how much bread and pasta i was eating.
  • jgover
    jgover Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    We do meatless monday's. Definitely do it!
  • lhague
    lhague Posts: 258
    Options
    I have been a vegetarian for years as is my oldest daughter. I raised them to have the choice, husband a huge meat eater. My youngest daughter takes after him, and my son is kind of in between if that makes sense.

Anyway, there are many great books and websites to explore. I find that I get most the proteins from soy of course, lentils and other beans. There are many great vegetarian recipes for chili and Boca makes a great one if convenience is an issue. You find it in the frozen section.

Taking a break from meat is a choice that many make, then go back to meat. It can be fun just to try the different recipes and mix things up a bit.
  • rmhand
    Options
    Thanks for everyones support. I feel really great about this. Today is my first "Veggie Wednesday" and I will see how it goes. I already input my planned food and I have almost hit my protein goal and I'm just barely over my sugar goal. Usually I am way over both. I definitely feel good about his decision.

Thanks again!