Overweight and P90X

Options
I am overweight and have a lot of weight to lose. I was wondering if P90X would be a good program for me to start? It looks very motivating which I need! If you don't believe that P90X would be a good place for me to start do you have any other suggestions? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• monalesa
    Options
    I think hip hop abs is a good start and walking
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    P90X is a great fitness tool. There are various levels that the videos demonstrate so you can definitely find your effort level there and modify/increase as needed. It works all aspects of your body so it is wonderful for total body results! The work outs are hard so be prepared to "bring it"

You can do it!
  • jamielr84
    Options
    I wondered the same thing. I have heard P90x is hard and wondered if I would be able even finish it. I decided to try the 30 day shred instead. I have only done 2 days so far. It is still very hard, but I am able to finish it. It is only 30 minutes a day so hopefully its easy to stick to! I plan on trying the P90X after I shed enough weight off.
  • mommy2halfdozen
    mommy2halfdozen Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I tried px90 and it was way out of my league. Instead I started with walking videos and then moved on to insanity.
  • merimeaux
    merimeaux Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    If you're relatively new to exercising at home, I very highly recommend Jillian Michaels' 30-Day Shred. It's not as intense as P90X, but if you stick with it, you'll be surprised with your results. I even have my mom doing the Shred, and she loves it!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
  • samb
    samb Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you start with Beachbody's Power 90 and then do P90X. P90X is a program created for those who have completed Power 90 and would like to move onto the next step. P90X is a terrific program, however, it is quite challenging as well, even for those who are already really fit. Best of luck to you!!
  • lovemyhellokitty
    lovemyhellokitty Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    How active would you say you are? I am overweight and I love p90x. I also take classes at my local gym. I go at my own pace no matter what I am doing. A heart monitor is great to have. It helps you know if you are working too hard or not hard enough :)
  • lclarius
    lclarius Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Kelskay, from everything i have read p90x is good for people who are already in semi good shape but want that extra boost or lose those extra lbs. It sounds like (and i could be wrong) you are just starting out. Apparently p90x has a beginners version which is just p90. I was doing some research earlier and there over a dozen similiar style work outs - insanity, charlean extreme, 30 day shred etc. I think the best advice if you are just starting out, buy a few different videos that are relatively inexpensive so you can get a base line going and start to lose weight and get in shape. Try jillian michaels target zones or any of the other biggest loser workouts, they are all very good. This way you can get started and get a feel for what you like and dont like which will help choosing a more long term program a little easier.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You probably could do it by doing modified versions of the exercises. That being said P90x is designed for those that are already really fit and looking at taking it to the next level.
  • BOGmama2010
    BOGmama2010 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I started P90X at 186 lbs and hadn't been exercising at all. It was hard to do, but not impossible. In 2 rounds I lost 30 lbs. I wouldn't have continued past the first few days though when I was super sore if it weren't for my husband doing it with me. I think having an accountability partner is crucial, at least in the beginning. Once you see how your body is changing you get the momentum and are in the habit of doing it every day, then your own momentum carries you into continuing and keep working towards your fitness goals.
  • mishamae
    mishamae Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I did 2 weeks of P90x and it was an awesome workout, however it to was quite difficult for me to do a lot of the moves (especially abs). I started off with Biggest loser workout, Turbo Jam and 30 day Shred. I am planning on starting P90x after I lose another 10-15lbs. If you alreay have it then try it out for a week or two just to see where you are and go from there :)
  • DaveGlasnost
    DaveGlasnost Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm overweight by a good few dozen lbs -- or more accurately, my BMI is insanely high in the "overweight" range.

I've been pretty fit as recently as 2006 but really fell apart especially in the last 2 years.

I've started P90X 10 days ago, and while I have a few things I am still struggling badly with (pushups, endurance, and even a lot of the yoga) I am also finding a few areas where I am pretty good.

That being said, not knowing your overall condition, you might try Power 90 -- think of it as a kind of bootcamp to get you ready for P90X. It's offered by the same company as P90X and seems to be a natural lead-in to P90X for a lot of people.

On the other hand, you *can* do P90X if you remember to modify, modify, modify what you do (they give you a lot of tips to do so). Don't try to match the reps they do unless you find you can without burning out or injuring yourself. Pause all you want when you need to take little breaks, but keep pressing 'play', pace yourself, pay attention to form (very important) even if it means you have to stop earlier and do less reps, only do as much as you can until your form starts to suffer. Tony Horton will tell you all of this time and again during the workouts, too. If you start on Power 90, I'd take the same advice. I hear it's a little less intense but you still have to protect yourself from injury.
  • arwsgirl
    arwsgirl Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and 235 and P90X is a bit extreme for me. I can do it but I feel better if I just do weights and cardio. When I lose a few more lbs and get my endurance up a bit I'll try it again. Some people love it but I'd rather tackle that one when I don't want to shoot myself after every workout.
  • anamercedez
    Options
    I just started p90x,its very intense but really really good workout!!!!!!! Im on day 4 and im supper sore,but a good sore!!!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    You probably could do it by doing modified versions of the exercises. That being said P90x is designed for those that are already really fit and looking at taking it to the next level.

I wasn't really fit when I started my first round of the X. I couldn't even jog a mile. Plyo kicked my azz after a half hour.