HIT A WALL RUNNING

Options
I HIT A WALL AT AROUND MILE 3 AND CANT SEEM TO GO ANY FURTHER. ANY SUGESTIONS TO EXTEND MY RUN?

Replies

• Alysgrma
    Alysgrma Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Bump fo rme too :wink:
  • TeamEdwardJenn
    TeamEdwardJenn Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    As a first time runner the only advice i could give is go up 30 seconds each time ..keep extending it little by litte ,,,I am doing that , i dont run at all and this is how im training myself to runn ...hope i helped :)
  • LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    How often are you running? Is it always at the 3 mile mark or just today? Maybe try slowing your pace down a little bit.
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    What is your mileage goal? Are you training for an event? I highly recommend doing a run/walk and suggest looking at Jeff Galloway's blog or books for how to do this. You can extend your mileage by taking regular, planned, timed walk breaks. It is important to rest your body BEFORE it reaches its limit in order to be able to go farther.
  • ChRiStA_1983
    ChRiStA_1983 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this will help, but I would suggest:

a) Slowing your pace significantly, but still be fast enough that you are jogging (as opposed to walking)....Just do an EASY jog until you get your "second wind".

b) Figure out approximately how long it takes you to get to the three-mile mark, and on your ipod, ensure that your most upbeat, fastest music is placed right around the time that you hit that wall....Knowing that songs are typically from 3-4 minutes in length, time it so that the best tunes are right when you need them to give you that extra motivational boost.

c) CRANK your music even louder at the three-mile mark

d) After that third mile, don't look at distance, but rather, focus on the TIME spent running....Tell yourself "I can do another 60 seconds", and then 'I can do another 60 seconds", and before you know it, you'll have hit four miles!
  • vojtko68
    vojtko68 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am using Hal Higdon's 8k training program. I too had hit a wall and wanted to run further and longer and this is helping. I actually found an 8k race to run at the end of February. After I compete in this race, I will either doHal's 10K or his program to increase time in the 5k.
  • KWSR16
    KWSR16 Posts: 91
    Options
    I am always listening to music when I run and in order to lengthen my miles I make a playlist of songs from crazy loud pumping songs to casual sleepy time songs.... And when I go for a run I run at the "pace" of the song that is playing. So for a totally awesome song that gets you pumped and going you pick up the pace (not a lot just a little) and for slower songs you bring it down to a jog. I have done it a few times and looked down (at the treadmill) and I have already run over 5 miles!! Its crazy! Its easier for me to run longer when I have something to distract me from my run, it sounds kinda weird but it takes my focus of what my body is doing and allows it to run itself while I am happily drifting off into "Dirty Bit" land :)
  • nlfrancis
    Options
    I suffer from that same problem so I started cross training - run one day, use the elliptical or stair master the next - this actually helped me go from two miles to 5 miles and helped with the run time.

Also another thing I have found, think about something other than running, or do running and walking. You will get past it, it just takes a little bit of time
  • lclarius
    lclarius Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    How long have you been running for? If your up to 3 miles I'm guessing its more then a couple weeks. In which case your "wall" is 100% mental. What happens when you hit the 3 miles? Maybe try walking for a minute or two then start running again. If you are struggling just to get to the 3 miles slow down a bit. No one says you have to run fast or run the entire time. Listen to your body and make adjustments. If you are running on a treadmill or even outside tell your self i will go another .1 or to that tree or mailbox then I will walk for a minute. Once you get to that point see you how you feel, if you dont feel like your gonna die, pick another point etc. I have found making mini goals while on a run makes a huge difference.
  • sharesb
    sharesb Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    When I lose focus I do running intervals. It would make running go by so much quicker and you burn a lot more calories. Example: Power walk one minutue , Jog two minutes, Power Walk one minute, Sprint two minutes, repeat....you would be surprised how quick the time goes by! Good luck :)