My Triggers - An Epiphany

Options
So my ex and I got into a battle last week over the kids, and by Friday I had pissed myself off into a migraine that lasted all weekend. However, I did a lot of thinking all weekend too, about how bad about myself this man always made me feel. And I realized, he and the stress he created were two of the biggest triggers I had to eat and be lazy. Every time I would do something, he'd tell me I was doing it wrong. So I just stopped doing things. Every time I'd cook a meal, he'd tell me how to cook it. "If you would just eat what I buy at the store, you'd lose weight" and blah blah blah blah blah... Because of this man, I let myself go because I didn't want him touching me, I fell into a depression and (the first time I am admitting this in public, although my boyfriend knows) I even was suicidal because I knew that leaving him was going to be an uphill battle. He spent 14 years undermining my self-confidence and I managed to claw my way back to the land of the living. That in itself is a major milestone for me. I figure if I can do THAT, I can do ANYTHING, including lose another 25 lbs.

My step-daughter called about a half an hour ago and told me something her father said to her that (again) made me angry...and the first thing I did when I hung up with her was go to the pantry. I was like, What am I doing? Why am I letting him get to me? So I went outside and did some quick yard work and took out the trash. Pretty fitting, considering the source of my anger!!! So now every time he annoys me, I guess I'll be TAKING OUT THE TRASH instead of going to the pantry!

So I think I have just identified my biggest trigger of all -- my ex and how he makes me feel. It's such a small thing...but it's huge.

Replies

• janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Awareness is an amazing tool. Stay strong and don't let anyone or anything keep you from doing what is best for you!!
  • ErinLauren
    ErinLauren Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    YEAH! Good for you! Love those Light Bulb moments! Keep it up.
  • adurfee
    adurfee Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Great story, made me laugh about taking out the trash. I'd laugh my way to the trash can every time!!!
  • JulsDiane
    JulsDiane Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Good for you......and even better for you that you got rid of him and the toxicity of the relationship.
  • bjmk19047
    Options
    Good for you......and even better for you that you got rid of him and the toxicity of the relationship.

It took a LLLOOOONNNNNNGGGGG time ... but I finally did it! I had to convince myself that I could do it on my own!!! :smile:
  • Dmonique85
    Options
    I'm glad you know it! Find ways to treat yourself and pamper yourself besides food. Soak in the tub with candles, play nice music...go out dancing or get your nails done (I will do 2 "spa" hours at home & pamper myself). I am just now seeing how irritation & boredom cause me to overeat...it's no good & it's the opposite of what we should do! Anyhow, I'll be quiet hehe take care, & I wish you the best!
  • eleanoreb
    eleanoreb Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing and good for you :)
  • Flacachica
    Flacachica Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Yeah for you! That's a major breakthrough... good for you!
  • Sweetiegrl
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! I was in a relationship similiar to that for ten years.
    He was mentally and verbally abusive. No matter I did it wasn't right or wasn't good enough. He always sabatoged my weight loss and would call me horrible names like THUNDER THIGHs, HAM SHANKS, etc..... Very sad. He was a very controlling man and always made me feel like I couldn't do anything and like I was stupid!! He died in February of '96 and even though that was 15 years ago I still struggle with self-esteem issues among other things although I have improved greatly since then. Oooops...sorry, got carried away...but thanks again for sharing. All things happen for a reason....
  • frida001
    frida001 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    You sent a very powerful message to your children. They will know not to tolerate abusive relationships and have the opportunity to know a confident mother.
  • bjmk19047
    Options
    You sent a very powerful message to your children. They will know not to tolerate abusive relationships and have the opportunity to know a confident mother.

Believe me, they were a big part of it!!! Just wish I had done it when my step-daughter was still young. :smile:
  • TNFirefly
    TNFirefly Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Wonderful job identifying the trigger, and more so in changing your response to it! keep it up!!!:flowerforyou:
  • NancyQR28
    NancyQR28 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Keep up the good work =)
  • parrtar
    parrtar Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    That's a touching story, and I feel for you. Good work digging down deep to figure out what you were doing. Making repressed things visible really helps to move on.