When your sick..

Options
Does anybody else do this when they are sick?
I woke up this morning feeling under the weather and just felt generally blahh! I could probably go to the gym but I know that it will be slow and drawn out, I also am scared that I will actually make myself sicker. So what do I do stay home. I also spend time trying to figure out if I feel gross enough to stay home.... hmmm i.e Am I sick "enough".

I suppose another question to ask is how many times a week should I go to the gym?

Replies

• Charrisse
    Options
    Im right here with ya girl.. I came down with a nasty chest cold Thursday, got in a workout on Fri and havent been well enough since. Just to low energy and my god it hurts to breath normal I cant imagine trying to work out. Class is FINALLY not canceled tonight due to weather and I just can't do it. I am SO bummed. Tonight is weights and toning, maybe I will feel well enough to try tomorrow, which is spin. I could always just go slow on the bike lol

Anyway - yea, I feel your pain. I guess ust rest up and catch up whn you feel better - thats what I decided I have to do.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    If you feel sick, don't go to the gym. The exercise may be too much for your body and you will definitely spread germs to other people.

You probably shouldn't go to the gym more than 5 days a week, just because your body needs the time off to recover.
  • theidarisafa
    Options
    Umm, this is me right now.

Basically, when you're sick, it's more important to get better than to work out.

In fact working out stresses your body.

So, I'd say that you shouldn't be working out until you're better. Most flu's last about a 7-10 days. Any longer see a doctor.

You'll probably lose some weight while you're sick because you'll not be able to eat. At least that's usually my situation.

Anyway, rest, drink lots of fluids, still track your food, but do not stress yourself out.
  • AmeMahoney
    Options
    You can go to the gym six days a week as long as you are giving different muscle groups time to relax. That's assuming you're actually lifting weights and not just doing tons of cardio every day (a big no-no). Going to the gym when you are sick is a bad idea though. It's best to keep your germs to yourself.

When I feel under the weather, a 10-minute walk outside is usually about all I can muster. Unless I'm really ill, at which point I just stay in bed.
  • heb14
    heb14 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    If you're feeling tired and run down, take a break. Let your body relax and heal.
    If you're just "sick", as in a chest or sinus cold, I've been told to push through a decent workout, which usually helps me feel better quicker anyway!

Moral of the story: You know your body! If it's telling you to rest, do it!
  • niclagi
    niclagi Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym 3 times a week. But I also see a trainer once a week and try to use my treadmill at least once a week. Even when I had a fever and one heck of a virus I still saw my trainer. It was a much harder and I sweated ? swat? much more but it was worth it. It's too easy for me to bail out of workouts after I do it once. But, I guess it depends on what type of sick it is. I wouldn't do a class if it was nausea/vomitting or diarrhea.
  • elid
    elid Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Yes, definitely stay home and rest up when you're sick. Straining yourself too much will make your recovery slower! It's much more important to be healthy than it is to lose weight that much quicker... and a little break while you recover won't seriously derail your progress. :smile:

That said, if you feel restless and want to do *some* exercise, you might try walking for 10-15 mins around your home... but you should probably skip the gym.

P.S. Hope you feel better soon!
  • KatieM101388
    Options
    Being sick is the best diet ever. When your sick, you don't want to eat anything. You don't need to work out. I recently lost 6lbs being sick for a week.