Should you work out before a weigh in?

Options
Hi,
Does working out before a weigh in make you lose less weight? I heard that it makes you retain water - is this true?? Does anyone have any information about this?
Thank you :-)
Lodi

Replies

• Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    I have always found the best time to weigh in is first thing in the morning after getting out of bed
  • FaeFae
    FaeFae Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Im really not sure but when I use to be a member of Weight Watchers they would tell us not to workout the day before a weigh in!
  • katiefraay
    Options
    I have always found the best time to weigh in is first thing in the morning after getting out of bed

Agreed, usually you gain weight from working out due to the water you have to drink while exercising.
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    that makes sense about the water you take in during your workout
  • wiseg2
    wiseg2 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Personally it makes me weigh less but everyone is different. Its recommended that you weigh once a week at the same time, using the same scale, each time.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    It's my understanding that your muscles retain water after a workout for recovery. So, you would actually be a little heavier after a workout.
  • SarahRuth♥
    SarahRuth♥ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Personally it makes me weigh less but everyone is different. Its recommended that you weigh once a week at the same time, using the same scale, each time.

This.

I always weigh-in on Saturday morning, same scale, same (approx.) time, same clothing (none, right after a shower). Everyone is different, and weight fluctuates throughout the day. What you want to see is PROGRESS! Progress is more important than the actual number, and following this rule will show your progress. Also, take measurements.
  • hpyn2pc
    Options
    I've always been told first thing after waking up, before breakfast. This is the lowest weight of the day since I'm usually dehydrated, but there aren't as many variables to blame.
  • Missyb76
    Options
    i have often wondered the same thing!! i joined a weight loss challenge at a local nutrition club...this is my 2nd one...and most days of weigh ins i would workout before going to weigh in first thing in the morning. i have checked myself at home...weighing and then going out and working out and weighing right after..i have stayed exactly the same all 5 times i tried this...guessing that everyone is different though :)
  • frogmama
    frogmama Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    If I do a pretty strenuous weight training session, I am usually up a bit the following day, but if I have soup with a lot of sodium, that will cause an increase too. It really is about the over all picture. As long as I am seeing progress, then I am ok with that. Sometimes it is disappointing on weigh in day if the scale hasn;t gone down, but eventually it will, and I do feel much better with consistent exercise!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I weigh in right after I wake up and before I workout.
  • father5
    Options
    I usually weigh in first thing each morning and not any other time of the day. I would suspect that any other time during the course of a day your weight could alter by a pound of more based on whether you weigh in after a meal, before a meal, after several ounces of water, etc. It would seem your weight would be more stable after a 6 to 8 hour sleep and be the first thing you do each morning.
  • amehrkens
    amehrkens Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I always lose during a workout even if I drink water, but I sweat a ton.
  • FabulousGia
    Options

Me too (after using the bathroom).
  • beckyhammond31
    Options
    I tested it once by weighing myself before and then after my work out. I actually GAINED a pound due to fluids your body produces during the work out. I find it best to work out the evening before the weigh in and then weigh in before you eat anything.