Crunchy-sweet snacks?

Options
I've found lately that I crave crunchy and sweet in the afternoons.

I've also found that if I try to substitute just plain sweet (like diet soda, or a piece of fruit), I'm not satisfied, and still crave something more.

Anyone else dealing with this?

Some things I've found that help are

-a lowfat Graham cracker
-a measured serving of Kashi GoLean Crunch

If I chew slowly, that also helps get rid of the craving completely.

I searched for "crunchy" and found lots of crunchy ideas but not a lot with a sweet angle. One person suggested celery, and I'm thinking I could make some "ants on a log" and that could be a good solution, too.

Do you have other ideas to share? Thanks!

Replies

• petithamu
    petithamu Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I found a new addiction...Snack a Jack caramel rice cake...it's 50kcal per rice cake and it has just the right amount of crunch and sweetness I need when i'm munchy!
  • sportsqueen32
    Options
    try chocolate chunk rice cakes (the big ones) by Quaker, sometimes I spread sugar free jello dark chocolate pudding on them for more sweet, for 2 rice cakes plus the pudding is only 180 calories.
  • Charrisse
    Options
    Wellllll my new thing - air popped popcorn and this caramel topping and a little salt - like kettle corn without the guilt lol

http://www.amazon.com/Kernel-Seasons-Popcorn-Seasoning-Caramel/dp/B000ILK9UM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297117481&sr=8-1
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I like sliced apples or sliced bell peppers
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Yogurt topped with sliced almonds.
  • jeebsah
    Options
    Try dry cereal...i really like the chocolate chex kind...to me it makes a great low fat, sweet, and crunchy snack. Makes a good movie theater snack too.
  • kafff
    kafff Posts: 14
    Options
    What about sweet roasted chickpeas. Here is the recipe for you to try. Delish!

http://www.heartandstroke.com/site/c.ikIQLcMWJtE/b.5105873/k.AB60/Recipes__Roasted_chickpeas_8211_three_ways.htm
  • jenniecustodio09
    Options
    honey wheat pretzels from Trader Joes dipped in peanut butter! Yum!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I like the 100 calorie packs of yogurt covered pretzels.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    My new fave is a sliced apple with an ounce of cream cheese. I like the slightly tart apples like jonathans, but whatever you like would work.

I also dig cinnamon graham crackers with a little peanut butter smushed between them like a sandwich.
  • RocknnRobin
    RocknnRobin Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    ooooh sweet pickles--if you like them, are awesome. Gerkins and Bread and Butter Chips are my favorites. I've found sugar-free versions of both.
  • jennievh
    jennievh Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Wow, roasted chickpeas 3 ways! I have just recently found a LOT of canned chickpeas in my cupboards.

Thanks!
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Baby carrots! Cucumber slices with a little sweet italian dressing. Kettlecorn style popcorn. Apple cinnamon rice cakes.
  • Jess3Loves
    Jess3Loves Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Awesome ideas!
  • uptonia
    Options
    I love the Blue Diamond flavored almonds. I have Mint Dark Chocolate, DArk Chocolate, and Butter Toffee :)
  • Jess3Loves
    Jess3Loves Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I love the Blue Diamond flavored almonds. I have Mint Dark Chocolate, DArk Chocolate, and Butter Toffee :)

Butter toffee? Oh I must find those!
  • time2move
    time2move Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Baby carrots! I use light ranch with a teensy bit of chipotle stirred in.
  • fantm
    fantm Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I am loving the Trader Joes Cinnamon Almonds. A 1/4 cup is only 150 calories. YUM!
  • leslielove
    leslielove Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I like doing almonds or walnuts with craisins or raisins. Gets crunchy, sweet, omega 3's, and fruit :)

Just be careful to measure your serving sizes of each.. its easy to get out of control with!
  • busub
    busub Posts: 58
    Options
    I mix up raw almonds and dried fruits (especially cranberries/blueberries from Trader Joes). However, the dried fruit is packed w/ sugar, so try to have more almonds.