Hamburger

Options
aneajo
aneajo Posts: 287 Member
Have hamburger that I need to use. Need a recipe that the kids will like thats not major calories, so I can eat it also.

Replies

• TammyBee
    TammyBee Posts: 178
    Options
    allrecipes.com is a great site. They have low cal and regular recipes.
  • humpalc
    humpalc Posts: 140
    Options
    I have three kids (7, 5, and 2) and they all loved Lasagne Soup - I browned the burger in a stock pot with some garlic and onion, drained and rinsed it, added 4c chicken stock (you could use vegetable or beef stock, just watch the sodium), a can of diced tomatoes, basil, oregano, a little crushed red pepper, (the recipe originally called for spaghetti sauce, but I used the tomatoes and spices instead), a couple of handfulls of whole wheat pasta in whatever shape you like (I used fun wheel shapes) - bring to a boil and cook until the noodles are tender - I served garnished with chopped fresh spinach on top and just a little pinch of mozzarella or a shake of parmesean.
  • alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I made meatballs the other night by just adding fresh breadcrumbs and spices, and baking them on a cookie rack. I ate them plain (sorta dry but...I got them down and not a lot of calories), and for the kids I threw them in a crockpot with sauce. You could also add marinara and mozzarella and make meatball subs for the kiddos. :)
  • aneajo
    Options
    Thanks, did the allrecipes.com, but everything I found was very high in cals.
  • bkegurl36
    bkegurl36 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Ooo that sounds yummy!! Do you happen to know the nutrition content on this? ** On the Lasagne Soup**
    Thanks!
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Brown a small amount, add spinach, red onion and diced granny smith apple. When all is cooked, use it as sanwich filling with blue cheese crumbles.

Another: brown beef, add Ranch beans and serve on baked potato...
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I have three kids (7, 5, and 2) and they all loved Lasagne Soup - I browned the burger in a stock pot with some garlic and onion, drained and rinsed it, added 4c chicken stock (you could use vegetable or beef stock, just watch the sodium), a can of diced tomatoes, basil, oregano, a little crushed red pepper, (the recipe originally called for spaghetti sauce, but I used the tomatoes and spices instead), a couple of handfulls of whole wheat pasta in whatever shape you like (I used fun wheel shapes) - bring to a boil and cook until the noodles are tender - I served garnished with chopped fresh spinach on top and just a little pinch of mozzarella or a shake of parmesean.

Holy geez that sounds good. I wish my kids would eat soup! They're still little enough to be weirded out when different foods are mixed together.
  • bcolson
    bcolson Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I made a really good (and surprisingly easy) turkey chili last week, which I'm sure could be done with ground beef just as easily.

sweat about 1-1/2 onions in a little canola oil with salt over medium heat in a dutch oven. When the onions are translucent, throw in several cloves of minced garlic. Then, throw in 2-1/2 pounds of ground turkey (I used extra-lean); once it's all broken up and cooked, I added maybe half a cup of decent chili powder, and some extra ground cumin. Stirred for a couple minutes; then added a jar of tostitos hot salsa, two cans of diced tomatoes, four cups of low-sodium chicken broth, and simmered for 20 minutes or so. Then I rinsed and added a can of white beans; a can of black beans; and a can of white hominy; sprinkled on maybe a third of a cup of corn meal (not necessary but helps thicken it). Simmered for ten more minutes or so, and voila.

It makes about 14 1-cup servings (which is plenty, I've found, when served with a big salad). A one-cup serving weighs in at about 220 calories, and 4 grams of fat. I originally deisgned the recipe to make two-cup servings, thinking that 440 calories was good for dinner, but discovered that it's really filling--and I've not had more than one cup at a time!
  • aneajo
    Options
    Ended up just browing the hamburger and let everyone do what they wanted with it.
    I had spinach, burger, cheese and western dressing.
  • humpalc
    humpalc Posts: 140
    Options
    I think I just searched lasagne soup last time and added what the mfp calories said per serving, because I was too lazy to add up the ingredients - LOL