is your Goal Weight the same as Ideal Body Weight???

Options
Just wondering if people have a goal weight that is different from their Ideal Body weight? My goal weight is about 134. I feel like that's a realistic goal, and a weight that will look "good" on me. I can't remember the last time I was in the 130's. When I look up my deal body weight for my height (5'4" and 3 quarters! can't take that 3/4's away from me LOL) it says I should be around 120. That just seems like something I won't be able to obtain!!
anyone else feel that their "Ideal Body weight" isn't ideal for them??
:huh:

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I actually have no idea what my "ideal" weight is. I've always been much heavier than I looked, and that's without any muscle mass to speak of. My goal weight is 120 because I know that I have looked good at that weight (I'm 5'3"), and yes, it's within the "ideal" range for my height. But I plan to get more muscular through this process, so if I look good at a higher weight, that'll be ok with me.
  • SoldierWife99
    Options
    I'm the same, height wise, and I think that 120 is too low as well. I have a muscular, sporty build, and if I got to 120, I just don't think it would look healthy. I'm going for 130, 132ish and I will re-evaluate from there.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    My "idea body weight" is around 155 - I am 5'10" with a very large bone structure, a sturdy German build, and large... ahem... attributes. My goal weight is 180. I might reevaluate and go for another 5-10 pounds after that, but I think I'll be good with 180.
  • wilted6orchid
    wilted6orchid Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    My ideal body weight is also 120. However, I wear a 34J, being that skinny would topple me over, lol!
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    There is no “ideal” body weight you can get from some “calculator”. Only you know what your ideal is.

If I go by my “ideal” BMI I will have to get back down to my HS football playing weight. Which is total BS. Set your goal where you feel you should be. Once you get there, maybe you will want to adjust it, but for now, don’t worry what some calculator tells you, you should be.
  • Superrhi
    Options
    I set mine for around 140. I'm 5ft 9" and thats right in the middle of the healthy weight range for my bmi :)
  • 18HeatherF
    18HeatherF Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I really feel like I just want to be happier with myself. if it's at 134 and not 120, I am totally fine with that!
  • AutimnRose
    Options
    I agree. I am 5'4 and according to charts they say I should be around 120 also. But the last time I was 120 even my doctor said I looked sick. My body seems to naturaly stay between 145 and 140. Has been that way since I was about 15. But I have also looked thinner than my weight would seem. So I have set my personal goal at 130. I think that is best for me.
  • crissi66
    Options
    My goal weight is 170. im 5'4 with a large bone structure and it tells me i should be at 120lbs as well. For me i dont think that is realistic. I would really like to get to 150lbs or a size 10 at whatever weight that is. I dont think i could get to 120lbs or be able to maintain it .
  • Amethysta79
    Amethysta79 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping when I get to my GW then my "attributes" would have shrunk too & I won't look out of proportion!

I think they make me look bigger than I am :embarassed:
  • kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    My "idea body weight" is around 155 - I am 5'10" with a very large bone structure, a sturdy German build, and large... ahem... attributes. My goal weight is 180. I might reevaluate and go for another 5-10 pounds after that, but I think I'll be good with 180.

Yay for German girls :)

I think my ideal is around 135-160 but I'm aiming for 150.
  • farmerswife87
    Options
    Definitely! I'm with you at 5'4", my goal weight is 135 lbs. I was 135 lbs in 12th grade, since then I had two kids! I can't imagine what it would take to get down to 120 lbs.....maybe I could get a leg amputated?
  • lmr9
    lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    How/where do you find out your "ideal body weight"?...
  • skinnyack
    Options
    I'm the same height as you. My "rest of my life" goal is between 140 and 150. I may go for 135 again since I have become a runner. I was a very athletic 135 and maintained it for about a year (as an adult). I am also larger boned and curvy even when I only probably had about 17-18% body fat (Still wore a D Cup). I think the actual range -depending on your build, how much muscle you are carrying, etc- for our height group is between 120 and 150. Bottom line- It's just a number when it's on the scale. And while it may be an indicator of what is actually in your body (ie body fat, muscle, bone density, sodium bloat- haha)- it doesn't tell you how healthy you are. Don't let it bother you too much- yes- easier said than done. Pick a range and just try to stick with it depending on your fitness goals. :flowerforyou: you'll find out where you actually feel good!
  • outersoul
    Options
    My goal weight is not the same as my 'ideal' weight. I'm built wide, broad shoulders and thick. My bone structure would never let me look right at 160 or so.
  • annalobdell
    annalobdell Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is 150. What I am suppossed to weight is between 108-115. That is the healthy weight for my 5'4 frame. I don't want to be that small. 150 is good for me.
  • chickybabe05
    Options
    hehehe if i get down to my calculated ideal body weight i would be lighter than i was in high school, and i really don't think it will be healthy. i'm an active girl i have alot of muscle mass so as long as im healthy and within the recommended bmi i will be happy
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    My "ideal weight" according to the Wii is a BMI of 22....which is 132 pounds. I was 130 before I got pregnant with my last child (of 3), so it is totally attainable for me. My GW is 130.
  • Vgomez1977
    Options
    I'M 5'3 AND MY GOAL WIEGHT IS 150 AND DEPENDING WHAT SIZE I AM AND HOW I FEEL I THINK I MAY GO AS LOW AS HIGH SCHOOL WIEGHT OF 130. NOT SURE IF I WILL BE ABLE TO GO LOWER THAN THAT... IT WILL DEPEND ON YOU AND HOW YOU FEEL! GOOD LUCK TO ALL!!!
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Currently my goal weight is the same as my 'idea weight'. However that's purely because I have no idea what I'll look like when I even lose another 14lbs.

So I set it as my ultimate target but it is flexible depending on how I feel when I get near it.