I can't give up my carbs!

Options
I know that carbs are, more or less, bad in diets because the body holds onto those carbs and also gains the water weight associated with them. I just can't seem to give them up! How many carbs can I have without breaking my diet?

Replies

• jheller
    jheller Posts: 194
    Options
    Don't sweat it! Everything in moderation. Its not carb's that are bad - just the amount and the source.
  • bonvechiomommy
    bonvechiomommy Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    From what I hear your body needs "good carbs" for exercise. I didnt give them up I'm just careful and try not to eat them at every meal! :smile:
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Don't sweat it! Everything in moderation. Its not carb's that are bad - just the amount and the source.

Absolutely! I agree. Everything in moderation. Carbs should make up about 50-65% of the average person's diet because they are used for energy!
  • hajjcomb
    hajjcomb Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Carbs aren't bad. They're actually absolutely vital to fueling an active lifestyle.
  • Akronite0883
    Options
    wehats the difference between good carbs and bad?
  • sharoniballoni
    sharoniballoni Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Carbs are not the enemy. "Carb" is a catch-all term that is totally unfair. Veggies are carbs and they are very important in a diet. You just want to really moderate refined, processed carbs, like white bread, cookies, cakes, etc. If it grows out of the ground or on a tree, consider it a perfectly healthy carb that has a great place in your diet. Further, if you just love bread, try a sprouted grain bread. It's much denser and might take some getting used to, but if you toast it, it's not bad and very filling.
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    As long as your carbs are coming from whole grains, fruits, veggies, I really wouldn't worry. I have carbs everyday, we need them to fuel our body. Just be careful in the selection. Moderation is key!
  • wilted6orchid
    wilted6orchid Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    The best carbs in the world are fruits and vegetables. Who in the world would gives those up...or ask their children to give them up?!
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    No, no, no . . . that is a myth.
    Carbs are essential for good health, but choose the complex carbs. This means whole grains and NO white (or processed) carbs . . . those are the only ones you should avoid.
    I have a minimum of 2 or 3 servings of a complex carb every day (ie. oatmeal or whole wheat toast with natural peanut butter for breakfast and either a sandwich with whole wheat bread for lunch or whole wheat couscous or brown rice with dinner).
    Carbs turn into energy and we all need that!
  • midgetjoness
    Options
    CARBS AREN'T BAD!! People need to get out of this mindset, it isn't about giving up its about keeping it in moderation! We need carbs for energy, its one of the best things to eat before a work out ( a mix of carbs and protein) we aren't meant to use protein for energy as it is mainly supposed to be stored. The atkins diet that cuts out carbs is ridiculous, and in reality if you look at the guy who came up with it he died overweight! not exactly a picture of perfect health is it? My advice - chill out and stop seeing carbs as the enemy, just don't overdo it! Enjoy the food you eat, team it with healthy substitutes like wholemeal bread etc don't beat yourself up about it :)
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Carbs aren't bad. They're actually absolutely vital to fueling an active lifestyle.

Exactly. Carbs are essential to our bodies funtioning optimally - they're an important fuel source, especially for sustained physical activity.

You need to differentiate between "bad carbs" - processed carbs like processed sugar, white flour, white pasta, etc. and "healthy carbs" - like vegetables, fruit, quinoa, barley, oats (NOT instant), potatoes, legumes, etc.

The closer something is to its natural form, the better. I try to stay away from pastries, breads, pastas, crackers, pretzels, etc. - because they involve a high degree of processing. Whole grain breads aren't so bad, but I still would rather use my calories in other ways.

Also, consider making sure you pair a high-quality carb with protein and healthy fat in most meals and snacks - ex. eggs and steel cut oats for breakfast would do the trick, or peanut butter & fruit for a snack.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, keep carbs at or below 100 a day. Make sure they are great choices like fresh fruit & veggies (not processed junk food). To maintain, go for 100-150 carbs daily (again with the clean food).
  • kimwig
    kimwig Posts: 164
    Options
    I know that carbs are, more or less, bad in diets because the body holds onto those carbs and also gains the water weight associated with them. I just can't seem to give them up! How many carbs can I have without breaking my diet?
    I really don't understand this "carbs are bad" movement (blame the Adkins diet movement I suppose). We need a range of foods across the food groups, that suit our lifestyle, nutritional needs and personal internal processing (I know some people do have problems with different foods - ie lactose intolerance, gluten intolerance etc).

Eating healthly, within calorific limits, getting best nutrition from the calories, ensuring correct levels of micro nutrients etc should be the focus, rather than (non-medically directed) exclusion of a food group.

Keep carbs complex (brown rice, brown / grain breads, wholewheat products) to make your body work for its calories.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    For weight loss, keep carbs at or below 100 a day. Make sure they are great choices like fresh fruit & veggies (not processed junk food). To maintain, go for 100-150 carbs daily (again with the clean food).

100g of carbs a day is NOT a hard and fast rule. Plenty of people (myself included) have lost weight just fine eating a higher amount of carbs. I don't eat a ton - I aim for 40-45%, which is lower than MFP's default, but that still usually comes in at 130-180g depending on the day.

If an individual finds they need to restrict carbs that much for their own health reasons, that's one thing - not knocking personal choices/needs, but to put it out there as some definite rule that everyoen should follow is something else. There is no reason that the average individual needs to restrict carbs to 100g/day, especially if they're eating healthy, non-processed carbs.
  • jennylynn84
    Options

100g of carbs a day is NOT a hard and fast rule. Plenty of people (myself included) have lost weight just fine eating a higher amount of carbs. I don't eat a ton - I aim for 40-45%, which is lower than MFP's default, but that still usually comes in at 130-200g depending on the day.

If an individual finds they need to restrict carbs that much for their own health reasons, that's one thing - not knocking personal choices/needs, but to put it out there as some definite rule that everyoen should follow is something else. There is no reason that the average individual needs to restrict carbs to 100g/day, especially if they're eating healthy, non-processed carbs.

MEEEEE!

I'm set for 50% carbs and that's lower than I was before when I was really shedding the pounds at first. I don't think you have to fret too hard about the 100.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    i can see an athlete needing more than 100. Not a regular joe.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-primal-carbohydrate-continuum/
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    i can see an athlete needing more than 100. Not a regular joe.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-primal-carbohydrate-continuum/

Not everyone buys into the primal blueprint philosophy. Do I think I'd probably be just fine eating only 100g of carbs a day? Likely. But do I feel like I *need* to restrict myself to 100g/day to be healthy? No. The human body is highly complex and incredibly flexible, and most people operating effectively on a wide range of macro breakdowns. I lost weight just as easily eating 15% protein, 30% fat and 55% carbs as I have been eating 45% carbs, 30% protein and 25% fat... In the end it comes down to personal preference, fitness goals and individual health concerns, all of which will affect what macro % is best for an individual.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options

100g of carbs a day is NOT a hard and fast rule. Plenty of people (myself included) have lost weight just fine eating a higher amount of carbs. I don't eat a ton - I aim for 40-45%, which is lower than MFP's default, but that still usually comes in at 130-180g depending on the day.

Totally agree. I've read numerous times that we need 130g minimum per day to maintain proper brain funchtion, let alone anything else!

I hate this bad press that carbs have. They have their place in a healthy diet, like everyone has said :bigsmile:

Try and focus on healthy food all round. But you know, an ice cream or a biscuit per day, if you stick to your calorie deficit, isnt going to hinder weight loss either. I might get shot for that, but I dont care. I'm no saint :noway:
  • amyhollar
    amyhollar Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of carbs, because I eat a lot of fruit, yogurt, granola, oatmeal, veggies, etc. I have no problem losing weight as long as I am sticking to my calorie limit strictly. I try to eat more protein and fats but a lot of times the bulk of what I eat is carbs and it doesn't seem to matter. Eat healthy carbs! Don't limit fruits and veggies- they are great, low-calorie foods.
  • v1k1n95
    Options
    You need carbs. Without them, you will not live. Just make sure you hover right around your calorie maintainence level (minus 500 calories to lose 1 pound a week) each day and make sure at least half the food you are eating is nutritionally beneficial. You're good to go.