Daughter wants to start

Options
I have a 13 year old daughter that wants to lose some weight, but unfortunately, she has to be 18 to subscribe to this site. Anyone know of a site where kids can track their food and exercise choices?

Thanks!

Replies

• shannonshock13
    shannonshock13 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    it's called the computer tracking system of mom.
  • Sassy_Cass
    Sassy_Cass Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I don't know of any sites, I know people have mixed emotions and opinions about having yound adults tracking calories. The general concern is on fixation - if they will see this as a tool to fixate on that will decrease their self esteem.

I would suggest you using the site and logging your results, so long as she is eating in a healthy range she will be able to get similar benefits.

Remember she has some growing and development yet to do so encourage her to be active before dieting - self image is benefitted greatly through physical activity and team sports..

Hope that helped...
  • princess_f
    Options
    im assuming you cook for her therefore can monitor her foods!?!
  • humpalc
    humpalc Posts: 140
    Options
    I don't know if there are any sites that allow teens to track calories, etc - maybe instead of focusing on the numbers, like we do on MFP, you could just show her in a more general way how many calories might be in something she would typically choose, versus a healthier choice - or enlist her help in finding healthy recipes on the internet for the family's menu for the week. I think it's great that you want to give your daughter the tools to make healthy choices. At 13, especially if she is involved in activities - kids start to eat more meals out with friends, or after activities, where you aren't there to help, so arming her with good information so that she can be more independent is really important.
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Check out this site: http://www.sparkteens.com/

It's basically MFP for teens. I've heard good things about it. Good luck!
  • paroxysm
    Options
    My daughter's health class used this site for a week:

http://www.mypyramid.gov/STEPS/trackyourprogress.html
  • mrb_9110
    mrb_9110 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    mypyramid.gov
    this site not only tracks calories, but can make sure that she is getting enough servings of protein, dairy, fiber...etc.
    I don't know if you can track weight loss on it though. You may just have to make a physical chart for her.
    Good luck to your daughter for taking control of her weight and fitness at a young age! :)
  • aarostoc
    Options
    Thanks everyone for their posts. We are actively involved in her food choices, both at home, as well as encouraging her to make smart choices while at school. However, we (as parents) have made some poor choices in our past, which has resulted in some of her eating habits.

It's a cycle that's hard to break, one that we are happy that MFP is helping to shape, positive habits for the future. By having something like MFP to show her (physically) what she is eating, it may help break some her habits as well.

Thanks!
  • loupammac
    loupammac Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I think it's great that you're arming her with all the information she'll need for later in life in regards to health and fitness. As long as she's active and knows vaguely what her calories are -- that's fine. There's no need to develop an unhealthy obsession. Self-confidence is really important in the coming years so maybe you two or as a whole family, could exercise? Even if it is just a walk. Maybe a mother/daughter zumba class?
  • bbb84
    bbb84 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Work on teaching her what you have learned. Its never too soon to teach healthy choices and what a portion size should look like. :smile: