Subway sandwiches

Options
I tend to judge everything to a sub from there, I just looked at my breakfast a thought, 520Cals. with what I just made I could've had a foot long? how can they make a sub with so few calories, if I tried this at home it would be a easy 1200Cal sub and thats with low fat low calorie meat, mustard and no cheese.

Replies

• prisaea
    Options
    whenever I eat at subway my sub is like 900 calories. I get an italian BMT loaded with veggies and low fat sweet onion sauce. the only time I have ever had a 500 cal sub from them was when I got a plain turkey and cheese with some veggies and low fat sweet onion sauce.

So I guess they can make subs with few calories if you get ones that don't hardly have anything on them?
  • jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    Options
    When I go to subway mine is under 500 calories..I get an oven roasted chicken breast on wheat with lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, banana peppers, (sometimes olives), pepper, and mustard. Also no cheese.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I can generally make a sandwich for about 400-500 calories. And that's with two slices of bread (200cal), 1oz of cheese (100cal), a full serving of turkey (6 slices, 45cal), Kraft olive oil mayo (90cal), and then some lettuce, tomato, pickle (about 50cal). It's more if I add avocado, but it worth the extra calories.

So, it's all about what you use and how you make it. The nutritional information for Subway doesn't include cheese, mayo, mustard, oil & vinegar, etc. It's just for the bread, meat and vegetables. They also have a ton of sodium and most of their breads are full of nothing but refined carbs. You're better off making a sandwich at home.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    If you eat those everyday you are actually INCREASING your risk of heart disease. Last time I ate a sub there I selected MFP to track my sodium and I had 2 1/2 DAYS worth!!!! Sodium is one of the biggest risks of getting heart disease too!! I guess it is fine for having every now and then but surely not every day or week!

Trust me I was wondering how they got by with the low calories and it tasted soooo good too! Well, sodium makes everything taste better lol.
  • heatypablo
    Options
    I also thought their "Fresh Fit" subs were the 6" not foot long... but I could be wrong.
  • NMandaMarie
    NMandaMarie Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    My sandwich choice: Subway 6" Black Forest Ham on Wheat - W/ Provalone, Lettuce, Tomato, Onion, Green Pepper, Vinegar, Lt. Mayo & Mustard **No Oil**

This comes to 400cals. I've been changing it a bit and adding cucumbers and spinach but going without the mayo and only half the cheese. Doing so brings it down to 325cals.
  • ohnuts14
    ohnuts14 Posts: 197
    Options
    i got a 6 inch veggie patty sandwich on the 9 grain bread, with all the veggie toppings and the sweet onion sauce, and according to the internet it came out to like 240.
  • bluerose9483
    bluerose9483 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    My 6 inch sandwich from subway is about 420 calories....I get the Turkey & ham on Italian herbs and cheese with provolone cheese, pickles, black olives, lite mayo, Parmesan cheese, and tomato or the other sandwich I get only difference is the bread and its the Italian White with all the same condiments and that one runs about 304 calories.

So if you make it a foot long, which I usually order the foot long, but have trained myself to eat one for lunch and the other half for dinner. The one on herbs & cheese is 840 calories and the White is 608 calories.
  • carissagrayson
    Options
    I was there yesterday and after eating my sub, I was looking at calories of the subs. You can get the subs made as a salad and it is much better than the regular subs.
  • EricInArlington
    EricInArlington Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I like my sub on wheat, all the way with mustard or just vinegar, the meat I go with turkey ( when its on sell) or ham

@evanescencexluvr I know what you mean, it is sky high. @NoAdditives where do you get that turkey? mine is like 50 a slice and taste like air.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I heard that they use a lower calorie bread. Not 100% sure..but I've heard that somewhere.
  • maroon58
    maroon58 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    i get a veggie on wheat and load it up! seriously, i don't even miss the turkey and i get no dressing, no cheese and no salt and pepper. i think its around 300 calories.
  • hippiechel
    hippiechel Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    i got a 6 inch veggie patty sandwich on the 9 grain bread, with all the veggie toppings and the sweet onion sauce, and according to the internet it came out to like 240.

do you mean veggie delite or veggie patty? a veggie delite will have less than 300 if you didn't add cheese, but if you got the veggie patty, i think it means about 400 calories. the patty isn't low-fat either, it's not under their "under 6 grams of fat" menu.
  • bcolson
    bcolson Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I usually go with a 6" veggie delite with cheese and lite mayo... under 400 calories, if memory serves, and doesn't quite have the sodium overload that their cold cut subs do.
  • vikeschick42
    Options
    I like the turkey/ham on wheat. No cheese. No mayo. No olives or oils or anything else that has a lot of fat. So basically lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, onion and salt/pepper. But I ask for a little of the honey mustard on the side. You'd be surprised how far you can stretch a tablespoon of that, and it's really good. I've calculated the sandwich at about 350 calories.