"changing" my mind

Options
I started 2 months ago and I wanted to lose 20 lbs (which has been changed to 22 because I adjusted for 1/2 inch in height that I rounded previously... plus it was amusing in my head to go from 155 to 133). I've shed 13 so far and I'm rather tempted to call it good and go to maintenance. I will still go the the gym and make good food choices (will probably keep logging my food for a little while). I think I'm just tired of obsessing about the calories. When I started I was already in the healthy BMI range, just the high end. The thought of "altering" my goal gives me a sense of relief and guilt at the same time. It's a "phew done, next challenge?" along with "it's still quitting even if you sugar-coat it."

I think in the end I will push myself to finish... but today is just a particular weak day with the start of my period.

3148348.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    keep going! (mostly because I also find going from 155 to 133 amusing..)
    but really it just depends on how you feel, are you comfortable where you are at?
  • DENsilentquakeYSE
    Options
    Hello, Menchi! I say whatever makes you happy is what counts. I applaud you for your accomplishment thus far. As long as you stay healthy and do what you feel is necessary to maintain that at your own pace and sense of enjoyment, GO FOR IT!! Be blessed and prosperous! If MFP has assisted you with what you wanted it to then you are ready to venture out from crawling to walking. Again, I am proud of you for what you have already accomplished!!
  • Anana11
    Anana11 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I totally get this feeling myself. I'm hitting my usual plateau (which coincides with the upper end "healthy" BMI for me), which is irritating me to the point that it's actually focusing my intentions to continue, but I definitely understand where you're coming from! Maybe give yourself a little break from the accounting but make it one of a specific length (so you know when to come back - not when your pants start feeling tight) and keep moving forward? Best of luck!
  • Mrs_McFadden
    Options
    The start of a period can cause all kinds of turmoil in the world up to an including ending your diet/calorie counting bonanzas. On one hand you could say "I'm happy with this weight and I'll revisit this in the future when necessary" ..on the other hand you might lose your momentum? That's only something you can decide. Maybe just have one "bad" snack?
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Everyone has to reevaluate their goals at some point. Take a look at yourself - are you happy with your body? Are you healthy? If so, I see nothing wrong with switching gears and perhaps working on toning/strength and fitness performance goals. Work on improving your cardiovascular health - pick an activity you enjoy (running, jump rope, elliptical, stair climbing, etc.) and work on improving your speed/distance/endurance. Work on increasing your strength through weight lifting.

Continuing to work towards goals will keep you on track and help you keep momentum. You'll probably even keep losing a little without even trying!
  • ♥Violette♥4Ever♥
    Options
    When you look in the mirror and you are happy and satisfied with the image you see reflecting back at you, then go to maintenance. If you are not, then keep going until what you see reflecting back at you makes you smile.
  • menchi
    menchi Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the empathy and advice! I have definitely noticed good changes in my body (needed to punch an extra hole in my belt, heck actually needing a belt at all!) and I am pleased with where I am. There are things I will want to work on, but they are measured by things like how my clothes feel and whether I can do 8 consecutive spins with grace while dancing on beat. I think I'm just tired of looking at calorie numbers and scale numbers.
    Maybe give yourself a little break from the accounting but make it one of a specific length (so you know when to come back - not when your pants start feeling tight) and keep moving forward?

I like this idea a lot! It's an excellent compromise and I will definitely think about it after my mind stabilizes post period. :huh:
    The start of a period can cause all kinds of turmoil in the world up to an including ending your diet/calorie counting bonanzas. On one hand you could say "I'm happy with this weight and I'll revisit this in the future when necessary" ..on the other hand you might lose your momentum? That's only something you can decide. Maybe just have one "bad" snack?

You've hit the nail on the head with the momentum issue. I think that's my biggest worry that I'll not be able to start up again. But then it's not like I'm planning to drop every good thing I've changed and go back to before. I think I should not make big decisions for a few days lol. One "bad" snack? I have a rule for incorporating bad snacks so I don't go crazy! One treat a day (which must still fit in my calorie goals), no repeats of a treat in a 7 day period, and no rollover treats. The last one I had was cherry pie 3 days ago.
  • Bermudabarbie
    Bermudabarbie Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I see you have been on MFP since December. Setting and reaching a specific weight number is a very "tricky" task. I have been on "Maintenance" with MFP since October. In early December the picture that I now use for my profile picture was taken. I think I felt great at that weight and should have stopped losing then and there.

However, I kept going and thought I was doing the "right thing" in dropping another 5 pounds. Well last weekend I went to the same resort where my profile picture was taken. A friend shot some additional photos of me in the same setting. Wow. I was mortified. I may have lost 5 more pounds, but I gained about 10 years in my face. I kid you not.

Yes, you can probably diet down to a specific number. But use caution! Don't go too far. Only you will be able to make that decision. I know you will make the right decision!