Yoga <3 - Losing Weight with Yoga

Options
I am actively looking for those who regularly practice Yoga and are trying to lose weight. I have been doing Yoga for almost a year now, but it can be really intimidating socializing with those who have not only been doing it a very long time - but have the bodies that show it!

So I am looking for people to discuss everything and anything with Yoga.

From the challenges you face during balance positions, to your triumphs the very first time your heels touch the ground during down dog!

Replies

• amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    What your heels are supposed to touch during down dog? I regularly do a class called Body Flow which is basically choreographed yoga with some tai chi and pilates. I love it. My favorite poses in the routine we are doing now are Warrior 2, Warrior 3, Monkey and Star. I struggle with hip openers and Triangle to the right with left arm up (stiff left shoulder)
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I go to a yoga place near my house. Each week there are different folks. Sometimes it is just me, sometimes there are many people. Every single one of them is in better shape and can do more than I can. I am really big and out of shape but the instructor is kind and nice. She has never mentioned my weight. She just says I am not too flexible - haha. Yoga is really good because you do just what you can do. And I've learned that the other people in class aren't looking at me - they are too worried about themselves, their thoughts and their workouts. So, I don't worry to much about what other people think. There is much giggling at my classes too. Usually when the instructor says do this, and makes it look so easy and i can't even begin to do the easy version. But she always helps us out. There are poses that I can do well that others can't and vice versa.

The important thing is to keep at it. Personally, I don't think it is a quick weight loss thing like aerbobics or other workouts, but it is great to calm your mind, lower your stress and you can gradually get better at it.

You can friend me if you want. Enjoy and good luck!
  • firemane0mega
    firemane0mega Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Body Flow - I remember there was a old gym I used to go to with that exact name for the class, with the same type of course materials. Think it might be a national thing.

Yes, during Down Dog you are striving to get your heels to touch the ground, but this can be hard depending on the amount of flexibility you have in your hamstrings and calves. It comes with time - I only achieved it 2 months ago and I was so excited, I shouted for joy in the middle of the class! Everyone thought it was great.

I love hip openers, but I also have very open hips (so my instructors tell me), so they're not terribly hard for me. However, this is something a lot of people struggle with and it comes with practice, so keep it up!

I know Star - I think it's often referred to as God/Goddess pose as well. They have all these fun names for different poses.

I don't know Monkey. I'll have to look it up!
  • firemane0mega
    Options
    The important thing is to keep at it. Personally, I don't think it is a quick weight loss thing like aerbobics or other workouts, but it is great to calm your mind, lower your stress and you can gradually get better at it.

You are absolutely right! It's not a quick weight loss thing, but it does help over time and I LOVE how when I do Yoga, my mind shuts down and nothing else matters.

The best part of Yoga? It's all practice and if you don't get it today, you get to try again tomorrow.
  • nickyjeman
    nickyjeman Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have done yoga (beginners) for the past month or so. I alternate days with Turbo Jam. I can see my body getting more toned than using yoga alone. Stomach beginning to flatten, arms getting toned...but love handles are still there! Urg!

I still sweat when doing yoga. I find balancing and doing a twist with my arms the most difficult (not sure what the pose is called). I find that yoga soothes any muscles that have been used from doing Turbo Jam. And yes, heels are supposed to touch the ground when doing downward dog...I haven't mastered it either. Ouch! Sometimes doing push ups are hard, so I'd do girlie push ups on occasions.

Keep with it. Sometimes our bodies are so different that it takes different times to see results.
  • firemane0mega
    Options
    I find balancing and doing a twist with my arms the most difficult (not sure what the pose is called).

There are quite a few of those. It could be anything from a balancing Triangle to a couple variations on Airplane. They come up with all kinds of different names!