Gaining the "freshman 15" 2 years late

Options
I just transferred from my community college to a real university and my eating and drinking habits have quickly spiraled downward. I played sports in high school but now that I don't play any more I've found it difficult to motivate myself to work out and stay in shape. Any sort of support that anyone could offer would be wonderful :)

Replies

• mycrazyturtles
    Options
    inter murals or open gym
  • alexj8403
    Options
    Head to the campus gym! It was one of my favorite parts about college. You meet a lot of cool people, get involved in some campus events, and get in great shape! I'm a morning person, so I went in the mornings. I made friends with a few professors who worked out in the mornings, so that was helpful! :)
    Good luck!!! :)
  • emilychristen
    Options
    I'm so nervous to work out in front of people!! My apartment complex has its own gym but I'm always too self conscious to use it :( hopefully I can motivate myself to start waking up early and get there before most people so I don't have to worry!
  • alexj8403
    Options
    There are barely any students there in the morning, and the ones that are aren't there for judging, but for being healthy. It's the 3-7 crowd that tends to be more of a social hour and people who are there just because their friends are there.

If you want to workout alone, I'd say get a workout video that you like :)
  • vianonb
    Options
    Check if your university offers fitness classes. I find that if I'm scheduled to work out at a certain time w/ a class, I don't usually miss it. The classes are usually pretty intense and taught by people who know what they're doing. Also, you'll be in class with a bunch of people who are also learning, so it's not as embarrassing and you learn a lot.
    Otherwise find a work out buddy you can motivate/who can motivate you to work out when you're feeling lazy.
  • fmoores
    Options
    I have started waking up before class and working out. I HATE working out in front of other people as well. Once you do it for 3 days in a row it will become so much easier, and I am definitely not a morning person! Think about working out in the AM right before you go to bed to motivate yourself!
  • emilychristen
    Options
    Thank you all for your help! :) I'm actually getting pretty excited about this!
  • AmeMahoney
    Options
    Almost all colleges require PE credits. Many offer weight lifting female only classes. It might be something you want to check out.The local college here even offers a walking group. During class time, everyone signs in, then goes for a fast-paced walk. There are also running groups, aerobics, square dancing, scuba diving, and archery, though I'd stay away from bowling! You won't get much calorie burn there, haha.