Calorie burn confusing

Options
Hello everyone,

I am just starting to exercise again and I have a question. I rode 45 minutes on my Exercise bike and went to log it in my exercise section. When I started to log it asked the pacei went so I chose "light" as I wasn't too sure. I was excited when MFP told me I had burned 410 calories! Woohooo! Then I read a note underneath that says if your equipment gives your calories burn to add that instead. Well, my bike said,"168"???? Which do I use???

Replies

• Kyydd
    Kyydd Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue with my elliptical. I believe that on your bike it is just an "average". But MFP calculates it according to the time, the effort and "your" weight. I am now going by the MFP one.. :)
  • Sweetiegrl
    Options
    Thanks! That does sound better!! I was thinking I would never have much of a deficit then!!
  • TDoan
    TDoan Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I always use the number on the machine. But the machine I use lets me enter my weight and age so it can more accurately calculate the calories burned.
  • liscar
    liscar Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    if you can, pick up a heart rate monitor --- that will tell you exactly how many calories you are burning. For me, when I got a heart rate monitor, MFP is about 100 -50 calories high for me. I know that once I started using a HRM my weight started dropping quicker. :) Great job on the bike!!!!! it's SO tough to just get started....that's the hardest I think.