Any fiber experts?

Options
2»

Replies

• anna_b1
    anna_b1 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    am I the only one that LOVES prunes? I think they are super yummy!!!

You are not alone! Thanks for coming forward. I LOVE prunes. Prune juice is OK, but dried prunes are delish.

:)
  • garedds
    garedds Posts: 251
    Options
    am I the only one that LOVES prunes? I think they are super yummy!!!

You are not alone! Thanks for coming forward. I LOVE prunes. Prune juice is OK, but dried prunes are delish.

:)

Never had prune juice, but I LOVE prunes too! I buy the bags at Costco. Yum!
  • SparksFly460
    Options
    I have ALWAYS had problems. Between IBS and chronic constipation my nutritionist advised me to start my day with a cup of java (NO milk & maybe one splenda if I can't take the bitter taste that particular morning). Start off by sipping it & once it gets warm enough, drink it down. This did the trick but on some mornings it made me nauseous!

You might also look into taking probiotics. Personally I go for Pearls IC (you can find it at GNC http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3706744&kwCatId=) 20 bucks will get you a month supply. The "IC" is the more potent stuff...if you want something cheaper go for regular Pearls at CVS which I believe are 15.

This is also gonna help with the 'gassy' problem from eating too much fiber (or too much protein in my case)

I ALSO take a chewable Berry probiotic complex (http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3687524) before a meal. But that's because of the IBS.

Fiber IS great, but depending on WHAT type of food you are eating, your body (rather your colon) might not be agreeing with it...personally too much bread and pasta will put me at a stall. Change up your diet, see what happens.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    hi ya i have been through thi one,,right i was eating tons of fruit and veg,bran in the morn and water ect and not a whole lot going on if you know what i mean,
    i was then put on a low g.i. diet basically,everything you had to eat was low glicimic index(or however you spell it) only multigrain bread,no other breads at all,all bran or porridge and not alot else for breakfast.
    dries fruit and nuts a yes no bananas :(
    if you look it up on google you will see it anyways it did work! really no messing about everyday without fail!!!
    oh also no potaoes(only sweet)!

living on pasta and noodles!

not a easy diet to folllow i can tell you...
    good luck
  • Calicoskies
    Calicoskies Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    For a short term "correction" Mirolax powder works wonders. I stir in a capful with unsweet iced tea and drink that cup at dinner. I like to mix it up in the AM, then its totally invisible when I stir it up and drink it down.
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    the "recomended" amount of fiber someone should consume is 25-30 g.
    However, even though it's not BAD to eat more fiber, you need to make sure you consume more water because excess fiber WILL have the opposite effect on your ability to go and back you up.

drink more water!!! :flowerforyou:
  • poptastic
    poptastic Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I think if you are regular and not feeling uncomfortable then you shouldn't worry too much. Make sure you are eating the right kinds of fibre, and eat some dried fruits and things if you want to go more regularly, but it doesn't mean anything is wrong if your usual 'routine' is only every couple of days, different bodies work at different paces!
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I would go see a doctor especially if you drink 100 ounces of water a day.

Agreed. Just better to be safe than sorry. Its not atypical for me to get 50 grams of fiber in during a 24 hour period, but that's a high. But with plenty of water, and exercise, it's never an issue. If it were me, I'd ask my doctor just to be sure. I don't have the medical background to answer your question. Sorry ...
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Dr Oz has this very subject on yesterday......If you eat at least 25 grams of fibre a day, its a good thing. But , when people start eating lots of fiber, it causes a gas in the intestine, and this bloating causes some to cramp, feel full or even see a rise in their guts.......its just gas that is caused by the fruits , vegetables, etc

If you can , go to his website , the Dr Oz website and look for yesterdays show.....the one of Feb 7 , 2011........it was a great show, esp about fibre

matter of fact, I changed my diet settings to see if I am getting enoough, and I sure am.........Good Luck.......Lloyd