What to eat after workout

Options
I don't know what I should eat after my workout. I ate my daily allowance and then exercised. I feel very hungry but I don't know if I should eat/make up for those calories I just burned or let it lay. I'm feeling very hungry and I'm trying to avoid eating by drinking more water and waiting, but I still feel hungry. Advice?

Replies

• RoyaDee
    Options
    It's important to refuel after exercise so if you are legitimately hungry then eat those exercise calories. If it's later where you are try sticking to the veggies & protein.
  • forestdancers
    forestdancers Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Try eating a lg orange. I find them very satifying.
  • bwleung89
    bwleung89 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I usually like to eat something that can put quick carbs and protein back in my system.
    An apple with peanut butter
    Chocolate Milk
    Nutri-Grain bar
  • MobiusMan
    MobiusMan Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    It seems generally that folks eat half. I did that for a while but found it excessive. I usually have a 150-300 cal snack like yogurt and berries or like tonight a Clif Bar and some almonds
  • cleo77
    cleo77 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    its a good idea to eat after a workout. As long as you are eating healthy, non process items, then do not worry about the calories. Your metabolism will actually increase the more you eat.
    examples - hand full of carrots with low fat hummus
    celery with natural almond butter (no more than 2tbsp)
    plain yogurt and half of banana
    the basic pattern is that you want to follow is a protein combine with a carb.
  • alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Chocolate milk is actually considered one of the best post-workout drinks because of the carb/protein balance. I mix in some whey protein after lifting. Yummy! :)
  • juliana1977
    juliana1977 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Well before working out I usually have around 200 calories still left. I read, talked to a personal trainner and to people who workout a lot and all said we always need to eat within 45 min after workout and something that will take no more than 45 min to digest. All recommended PROTEIN! So I drink a protein shake with some fruit. Depending on my exercise I will have a full scoop of protein powder, a cup of skin milk, 1 tbsp flax and 1/2 cup of fruit (usually a berry). If I don't workout too heavy I do half milk 1/2 water and 1/2 scoop of protein powder. If you don't like protein powder try to stick to proteins and low fat.
    The explanation I had was that after exercising in order to keep burning fat we need to eat protein if we eat carbs the body will spend these carbs instead of using the fat already in the body.
    I am not a expert, this is info I learned in the past 2 months...
  • Crystals422
    Crystals422 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I like to eat a banana after my workout
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Regardless of when you work out you should always eat something no later than 45 minutes after, helps boost your metabolism. Have a good carb and some protien. I usually have a piece of fruit and string cheese or peanut butter.
  • AmeMahoney
    Options
    If you eat 5-6 small meals a day, eaten every 2-3 hours, you shouldn't have to plan much for your before and after workout meals. They will fall pretty naturally in-line with your day. Some people swear by protein powders and such, and I use them sometimes, but a regular meal is just as good as long as it has carbs, a little fat, and some protein. You should no later than an hour after your workout. I aim for 35-45 minutes.

I used to like a banana with peanut butter. Either one alone is not enough.
  • stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    If it's late - avoid the carbs. They go unused. The best late night belly-filler I can find is this stuff called P.M. Protein.

Here's the info on it.

GNC Protein Matcher

40 grams fast and slow protein blend.
    Enhanced with 2 grams added glutamine.
    Contains a 60:40 ratio of fast (whey) to slow (casein), absorbing protein.
    Whey protein provides amino acids that move quickly through the digestive system. Casein is a source of amino acids that increase blood amino acids at a much slower and steadier rate.

I'm not a GNC guy - but I like the blend of 60/40 Whey to Casein protein for night time snack. Actually - I think I'll mix some up now. Vanilla is pretty nasty - chocolate is 1000000% better fyi.

Steve
    KnightFit.com

ps. You can actually get a cheaper mix if you buy a big 5 pound jar of whey, then a 2 pound jar of casein and mix them. It's a lot cheaper bought online, but a bit more trouble to mix it together.
  • AmeMahoney
    Options
    Mmm...casein protein. The stuff that constipation is made from.
    :bigsmile:
  • Julesjhj
    Julesjhj Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I typically reach for protein....especially if weights were involved. I'm not big on whey powder but I really love this powder from Whole Foods by Biochem. It's wheat and gluten free, has 20g of protein and is fat free and lactose free. Two scoops only has 110 calories and only 6g of sugar. You can mix with skim milk or even water if you are not a milk drinker. The chocolate fudge tastes like a milk shake, feeds my chocolate soul and it mixes in easy.....no clumps.
  • Randee75
    Randee75 Posts: 234
    Options
    I am a huge fan of eggs......Fast, easy and full of protein. And I eat the yolks and all (I hear all the gasps now lol). My personal favorite is chopping up a jalepeno tossing it in a pan and adding scrambled eggs yum!!!
  • jalyner
    jalyner Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your help and advice! I don't have any protein powders or anything like that, but I do have apples and peanut butter. And eggs with jalepenos and tomatoes sounds amazing.
  • crystalDRA
    crystalDRA Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    i'm always hungry after a workout, too. i usually go with something light/low cal. like cereal or a small salad with some chicken or something crunchy like fruit and rice cakes. tonight i had a protein smoothie that i found in my new ab diet cookbook and it was good because it had protein and a small amount of vanilla yogurt, blueberries, and cereal which made it sweet (and super yummy) so it helped satisfy my sweet tooth.

the only thing i'm noticing right now-after the smoothie- is that i miss having something more tangible to actually pick up and chew...if that makes any sense. the eggs sound good that Randee75 mentioned. i have some southwest egg beaters (only 30 cals per serving) that i may make and put on a slice of toast.
  • chuckanderson
    Options
    Most bodybuilders take a mix of protein and (the ONLY time) simple carbs. Protein to raise amino acids levels and simple sugars to raise blood glucose levels to stop muscle degredation. I eat a protein shake with a Bananna if I'm on a cut and add a scoop of peanut butter if i'm looking to clean bulk.
  • droppin_lbs
    droppin_lbs Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jalyner
    jalyner Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I made 1/2 cup of oatmeal with pecans and craisens after my work out yesterday and I couldn't eat it all; it was very satisfying and filling if you can stand oatmeal. I know some people don't like it. I'm going to get some southwest egg beaters, Crystal, for sure!
  • harleygirl1717
    harleygirl1717 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    great idea, carrots and hummus....sounds great