"you will weigh xIBs in 5 weeks" are these accurate?

Options
13»

Replies

• SoldierWife99
    Options
    It says if you ate like you are today... it doesn't take into account for women at least the wonkiness our bodies go through During out T.O.M I know my body will not lose anything for at least 5 days. it doesn't matter how good i eat.

But someone said it worked for them. I think it's a good motivator for those of us ME who get discouraged easily

You used the word wonkiness!!! I love it! I thought I was the only one who used "wonky" as a verb!

But I agree, the message is a great motivator, but rely on yourself, not what it tells you. I've almost been here 5 weeks, but I don't remember what it said I would weigh by now!:laugh:
  • exercisarah
    Options
    it actually is pretty accurate. the reason many people's probably is not accurate is due to eating unhealthy foods that can stand in the way of weight loss, or not logging everything they ate throughout the day - calories add up fast!
  • kidtechnical
    Options
    After I completed my logging yesterday I put the weight it predicted into my diary in 5 weeks to test it out :-)
  • melly424
    Options
    If you had a really good day and were under several hundred calories from your daily goal, it is going to give you an unrealistic goal. You can't (and shouldn't) eat that little everyday. The realistic ones are on days that you hit your goal. I think it is pretty accurate at that point.
  • melly424
    Options
    I am going to do that too! That is the only real way to see how accurate it is. Everyone should do that and then report back in 5 weeks!
  • kidtechnical
    Options
    Melly424, I have actually set an alarm for 5 weeks from yesterday saying:

"well, do you weigh xx lbs. If not why not? Have you been cheating? Your not going to lose weight if you don't stick to your calorie goal. Hows the 10K training coming along, the race is in X amount of weeks. If you' have lost, well done, keep it up!"

I'll report back on 13th March when I should weigh 171 lbs!
  • helenamonks
    Options
    Honestly, I don't think it's completly accurate, but I don't really care if it is. It makes you feel good knowing that its plausible, its based on statistics and so of course as you variate, it will.

After a really good day it feels good to see, "you will weigh 10lbs less in 5 weeks" LOL. Even though you may not. Its like "oooh I almost accomplished it!"
  • GorgeousMani
    GorgeousMani Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    it has ben accurate for me...but if everyday was like that day..if u switch it up.. then no
  • CuteMommy88
    CuteMommy88 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    nope!! Mine is always like 10-15lbs lighter and I have only lost 3lbs the whole month of january
  • Sporty98
    Sporty98 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    It is not accurate for me either.....It always gives me these crazy low numbers (like that I will lose 12 lbs. in the next 5 weeks). When you're down to your last 10 lbs. to lose, your body (well, mine anyway) fights back and doesn't want to lose! It's always a struggle to shed the last 10!

I don't buy it.....but it doesn't mean that I don't enjoy seeing that number associated with my weight! It's fun to predict and shoot for!
  • LaurieKPhoto1972
    Options
    The less I eat the less it tells me I will weigh in 5 weeks which to me is odd because everyone says how important it is to get all your calories in and if you don't your body will go into starvation mode. But if I eat all my calories the weight it gives me that I will be in 5 weeks is WAY higher then the one they give me when I have tons of calories left over like today.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I keep track of my 5 week projected #'s. Every couple weeks I take note of the number thats projected on my iPhone.

Surprisingly I have met almost all of them!

Me, too
  • wrn1979
    Options
    I think it's probably based on the notion that every 3500 calorie deficit you create is supposed to equal one pound of weight loss. So if you have your goals set for 2 pounds off per week, the calorie goal is designed to give you 7000 calories of deficit every week based on your projected BMR + calories burned from normal daily activity. When the device gives you the random number it's figuring out what your total calorie deficit would be if you ate that precise number of calories every day for 35 days. That's why the number is different every day when you complete your diary.
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    i would just use it to motivate you. :)
  • mtwd65
    mtwd65 Posts: 51
    Options
    Mine varies daily so today it may say 53kg and tomorrow 51kg. I can't eat exactly the same amount every day so I will never get a consistent value to aim for. As it is so variable it is not a measure I can use.
  • LD6686
    LD6686 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Well, I planned to lose 2lb per week...my first week I lost 7lb! Let's see what I lose this week, and then I shall report back on the 5 weeks mark to say how much I lost. It's probably pretty accurate though if you stick to it. It does change each day, depending on the exercise done and what you have eaten...so bare that in mind. However, if you have said you want to lose 2lb per week and have stuck to the plan, then you might just do it. Also depends on your metabolism etc, what foods you are eating.
  • jesshall281
    Options
    i think it would work....but its all down to you!
  • AFitasticYou
    Options
    I just started. When I filled out my initial info about how much I weigh, how much u plan on exercising, etc..it said tha I will loose 7.5lbs by March 7th. I made that my first mini goal. It's only been 1 week and I'm almost half way there. I think you should be able to make it happen. I will have a few days a week where I'm going to do more exercise than I said I would, maybe I will loose more, that would be nice! But for me 7.5lbs in 5 weeks sounds like a big number. We will see!
  • mmorrow476
    Options
    I've been on the program 2 weeks and have lost 10 pounds. It's all mathmatics so you have to count accurately your calorie intake each day. The average human body consumes 1500 calories per day just for normal daily functions like breathing, heart beat, ETC.. You have to burn 3500 calories to lose a pound. Their calculators are based on these numbers and other variables.

Search the internet for foods that actually help you burn calories naturally. I posted little signs around my house and office. "Hunger is good!" When you are hungry it is your body telling you that it is using reserve energy (fat) and you need to eat more.

Good luck:smile: javascript:add_smiley('smile','post_body')
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!