Dairy free help for my 10 year old.

Options
Hello,
I took my 10 year old son completely off dairy and he is feeling great.
~ Finding things he likes to eat instead is turning out to be a challenge. We have a family of 10 and it doesn't work to make completely dairy free for everyone. I would like to find things to make that are similar to what we are eating that would work well. At least that is what I do for my 14 year old that is completely gluten free.
~ So far I have done things like make a separate casserole and leaving out the cream sauce, or when making cheeseburger soup not adding the cheese to his share. We bought pizza one night and he was happy going through a local fast food joint. His favorite food was cheerios with milk (of course). But he is being a trooper about that.
~ The biggest problem we have on finding a substitute is our 15 year old is VERY strongly against soy and gets really upset if we buy soy milk. (don't ask, I have a hard time understanding it)
~ I have tried some things and a few have worked. I am looking for both items to buy that are more instant and ingredient substitutes.
~ So far we have found ice cream made with coconut milk, that was a great find.
~ Any brands, food or help?
Thank You soooo much for your time.

Replies

• RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    I drink rice milk, I can't do dairy either....
  • imperfectlyhere
    Options
    almond milk is yummy:) I am trying to cut down dairy so expiermenting myself.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Try almond milk! Unless he's allergic to nuts. I love it and will never drink cow milk again if I can avoid it. Almond milk is great with cereal. I use it for making smoothies and to cook banana bread and other stuff with, too.
  • goingwithgrace
    goingwithgrace Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I had to go off of dairy due to my gallbladder and I actually couldn't do soy products either. I use rice milk cheeses found at Whole Foods (Rice Shreds) in cheddar and mozzerella, and I like unsweetened almond milk for cereal (vanilla). I also drink the chocolate almond milk. Rice milk is good but a little watery. There is rice milk and almond milk ice creams too.
  • garedds
    garedds Posts: 251
    Options
    I was going to say rice milk also, as that is what my sister does, also what about almond milk?
    Can he have yoghurt? That makes things easier if he can. My sis can't have any milk/cheese (unless she takes lactaid) but she can have yoghurt.
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I love "so delicious" vanilla coconut milk, I like to use it instead of milk on my protein shakes before I w/o.