Here I go again...

Options
Hello all!

I am a frustrated 46 year old weightlifter who suddenly realized that he is not 16 anymore. :)

I have no problems physically with the weights and am actually stronger and more in shape than when I was 16!

The problem is my diet is terrible. So, here I go AGAIN trying to change the way I eat, I mean if I have the willpower to hit the weights, why can't I engage it to lose the weight? .. I am going to get to change that, starting today!

Looking forward to "meeting" you all and contributing! Make it a great one!

Frank

Replies

• jodie1306
    Options
    Hi Frank :smile:

LOL I think I'm the female version of you "the here we go again" girl.

Why is we can't stick at something as important & as life threatening as eating healthy & exercise? It's not rocket science hey but we can't seem to stay on track. Not this time for me though. :-) The difference for me this time is I'm doing it for me. Every other time I think it was because it was "expected". Society isn't really "large" friendly. This time, instead of telling myself I'm dieting, I'm making healthy food choices & exercise is now a part of my life. I am praying that this change in my attitude is going to be the difference. And I try not to beat myself up over past failures because the difference between you & me & every other person on this site is that we keep trying. We don't give up. We might fall down, but we come back.

:drinker: Here's to your success :-)

Jodie
  • markja
    markja Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Welcome Frank.
  • SunLove8
    SunLove8 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! You will do it this time, I have a feeling... :) I really wouldn't have done as well as I have it wasn't for this site and the support I get from people on here. It truely is an amazing site and my husband even saw the results I was getting and started it himself. He lost 13 pounds in 3 weeks!!!! You'll do great too :) Feel free to add me as a MFP friend if you like!
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Welcome Frank!

My only advice is to allow yourself time to learn! Allow yourself time to change! Allow yourself to stumble! Do I sound crazy?!?

Lifelong eating habits cannot change overnight... but you can, day by day, use this site to see what you are eating, the nutritional value of such, and use that information to make informed choices. How powerful is that to now be in control!

When I first started I told myself that no matter what- I would not quit. If I blew it and ate a pint of ice cream- I just dusted myself off and kept on trucking from that moment forward. If I went over my calorie goal for the day- no big deal- I can see what I can do differently next time and keep on going.

Visit the forums daily. I visit every day and it has motivated me to keep on going 1 more day... and those 1 more days have added up to 6 months and 79 pounds lost.

You can do it Frank and we're all here to cheer you on!
  • ecpdba
    ecpdba Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everybody for the welcome, the advice and the encouragement. I am down three lbs and it is going great.
  • ecpdba
    ecpdba Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Well it has been awhile since I updated but I am doing very well. Since I started I have lost 35 lbs and have maintained my strength in all my lifts. I started at 243 and am now 208. My goal is coming up fast of 190-200lbs. I am now running 2-4 miles 3-4 times a week and I lift 2-3 times a week. I also very the cardio between biking, hiking and running.

I have radically changed my diet too and I think that is the biggest change for me. I do not eat any processed food if I can help it. I don't eat more than 100 grams of carbs in a day and I have adjusted my portion size smaller. I drink a LOT of water and zero calorie drinks(NOT energy drinks) and only have soda 1-2 times a week.

When I feel tempted I take action, I move! Run,walk etc.. which accomplishes two things, it burns calories and distracts me from the temptation.

One other key thing is that I have changed my activity level by not being so sedentary. I dont watch as much TV or movies as I used to and I try not to eat when I am watching TV. I have noticed I get a LOT more things done and I really enjoy the things I DO watch.

I love my new life and energy levels and I AM NEVER GOING BACK!

Thanks for your encouragement!
  • bbrose3690
    Options
    Hi Frank,

The way I see it your way ahead of the game your fit and you have your health.
    Small changes in your diet will pay great dividends. Good luck on your path.

bbrose