SOY Milk Question!!! Does anyone have the answer??

Options
Hello all, I have heard/seen different responses to this question so I thought I would put it on here to see if any of you have the answer.... Is Soy MIlk a good substitution for milk during a weight loss journey??

Replies

• mtngoddess
    mtngoddess Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Soy milk is a good source of poly and mono-unsaturated fats, so it can sometimes help the weight loss process. The problem is if you have any tendency toward hypothyroidism. The hormones in soy mimic thyroid hormone, causing the pituitary gland to trigger a reduction in hormone production. If your thyroid is borderline or not producing enough hormone to start with, soy will cause further suppression, which can lead to weight gain.

What it all boils down to is how your body reacts to it.
  • CalorieNinja
    CalorieNinja Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Hello all, I have heard/seen different responses to this question so I thought I would put it on here to see if any of you have the answer.... Is Soy MIlk a good substitution for milk during a weight loss journey??

Initial results of studies look promising for the use of soy milk to help you lose weight. But remember that nothing contributes to safe and long-term weight loss more than eating nutritionally balanced meals throughout the day, watching your caloric intake and getting yourself on a good workout regimen.
  • fitbot
    fitbot Posts: 406
    Options
    unless you have problems with dairy I don't see why you would take milk out of your diet.....
    milk is good for you
  • sooh2011
    sooh2011 Posts: 134 Member
    Options

I have nearly finished reading The China Study (a book I heard about from this site) and it provides very convincing evidence that cows milk is not at all good for us; and not good for weight loss. I'm all for switching to soy milk and just had some in my breakfast (light, unsweetened and it was low cal).

While I was typing that it even seemed to get the seal of approval from my cat who helped himself to what was left in my bowl (gross).
  • kimwig
    kimwig Posts: 164
    Options

I have nearly finished reading The China Study (a book I heard about from this site) and it provides very convincing evidence that cows milk is not at all good for us; and not good for weight loss. I'm all for switching to soy milk and just had some in my breakfast (light, unsweetened and it was low cal).

While I was typing that it even seemed to get the seal of approval from my cat who helped himself to what was left in my bowl (gross).
    Good to find someone who has also read the China Study. I turned vegan following reading this!
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    my daughter is on a dairy free diet and so have lots of soya products in the house. its low in calories. however, i found that skimmed milk has the same amount of calories as 100mls of soya. i wouldnt eliminate dairy from your diet, i would just make wise choices
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I used soy milk for awhile and liked it BUT studies have indicated that it may have contributed to the estrogen imbalance nightmare I went through last year. I switched to almond milk (which I like even better) and the problem has gone away, and it's even less calories plus high in vitamin E.
  • Carolyn204
    Carolyn204 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I avoid milk and dairy products because there is research that it is linked to cancer, especially breast cancer (The China Study, among many other books testifies to this). I do not think that dairy is good for you - we were never intended to drink the milk of another species. But, soy milk, as well as almond and rice milk are good alternatives, and are lower in calories. So, even if you don't share my opinion about dairy, hopefully you can see the value of the lower calorie alternatives (plus they taste better in my opinion).
  • RosieB405
    RosieB405 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I personally prefer Almond Milk due to what I have read about excess soy especially since it is in many products already
  • Reka2011
    Reka2011 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for all of the great responses!!