8 CUPs of Water?

Options
So, they recommend we drink 8 cups of water...

Now in the metric system, 1 cup is 250mls, so does this mean I need to drink 2000mls a day? Not all cups/glasses hold 250mls

Just thinking....

I have gone from drinking NO water a day to between 1500mls and 2000mls.

Cheers

Sarah

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    it's 8 8oz glasses which for me works out to close enough to 2000mL that I make sure I drink my 2L of water a day.
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Cup refers to a measuring cup (which is 8 ounces), not a cup that you drink out of. So you are correct in your calculations. 1 cup is 250ml, so 2000ml a day is what's recommended. I try to get at least 3000ml a day, and some here drink more than that.
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    that great i started drinking it too and i"m feeling better
  • latuck
    Options
    My doc said to drink 1/2 my body weight in ounces each day...haha and dang thats a lot!
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    i take it as 300mls which is half a pint. so i try and have alteast 4 pints a day
  • loupammac
    loupammac Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm probably coming in just under the recommended amount. I have a big water bottle (probably about 800ml) and I try and drink two-three of these each day. If I'm at work we have little plastic cups of water and I down about 7 of them in a shift. Just find what works for you and after all with water, we could all use a little more.
  • bbb84
    bbb84 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    :wink: I started off drinking 8-8oz cups for the first month.... then i read on here that you should try to drink half your body weight but in oz. So now im drinking 16-8oz cups daily....Hopefully it will aid the process. This is week one so I hope the extra effort will pay off.
  • martynepugh
    Options
    I was advised to aim for 1litre of water for every 50lbs of weight just to clear out all the toxins from your body. Which is fine if you weigh around 150 lbs. If you have been monitoring your food intake for some time then I would say about 2litres a day is a good level to aim for.

I get through more on the days I go to the gym, I would say drink as much as you feel you can and take it from there
  • LisaJayne71
    LisaJayne71 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting article! It was well written and has got me going to the fridge for another bottle of water!
    http://www.inch-aweigh.com/water.html
  • cathyv0409
    cathyv0409 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    It took me awhile to get up to 8 8oz glasses of water a day then my nurse and just when I thought I was doing good, my health coach said it should be 70-100 oz a day. I have also read that you should drink 1/2 your body weight in water. I'm afraid I would drown!!
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    i take it as 300mls which is half a pint. so i try and have alteast 4 pints a day

Hopefully, that 4 pints of water ;-)
  • Calicoskies
    Calicoskies Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I thought I always had to have cold or ice water. I've learned that I can gulp room temp water much more easily. I save ice water for meals now and gulp room temp rest of the day. I drink 64+ oz water every day.
  • rlysrh
    rlysrh Posts: 244
    Options
    I know that its very important during weight loss to maintain fully hydrated, but I was watching a TV show once about drinking water. Two identical twins were on the show and for a month one twin drank the full recommended amount of water every day and the other twin just drank when she was thirsty every day. After the month was up neither twin had received any health benefits, lost or gained any weight or anything. So basically it seems like drinking plenty of water is obviously good for you still but not to the point that you should feel like you should drink a few litres every day for the sake of it even when you're not thirsty.