"Playing the Tape"

Options
I posted this to my blog yesterday and the comments I received got me thinking I should post it on the boards as well. This has helped me immensely in my journey and maybe it can help you as well.

I woke up this morning and felt as good as any other in the last month. I went through my usual routine and when I was dressing for my daily AM run, I had a thought cross my mind that I didn't feel like running today.

I did what I have conditioned myself to do with defeatist thoughts and just let it go on by like a passing car. Out of my mind as quickly as it came in. Once I got on the T/M, I got to thinking that this was the first time in a while since I had had a thought like that.

If you have read some of my posts, you know that I'm an addict in recovery with quite a few "24's". It reminded me of my early days in recovery when my sponsor taught me a simple tool. "Play the Tape" is a pretty simple thought process that, with practice, becomes second nature and quite automatic.

When a negative thought comes into my mind like, "Let's get high," or "I don't feel like running today," I mentally play that choice out in my mind to the natural conclusion. The end result of "getting high" now leads to my death.... maybe soon or maybe a little later, but certainly it WILL kill me!!

The thought of "let's not run today" would take me back to being an obese, unhealthy couch potato and I CERTAINLY don't want to go THERE!

So with lots of practice of "playing the tape" I can get to the "end" of the film in my head QUICKLY and choose the healthy choice without all the internal debate.

Try this exercise to see if it helps you fight the voices in your head trying to keep you from being successful in your battle to get healthier. With practice you too can use it to make better choices. It has given me back the control I relinquished when I gave in to the negative thinking in the past.

Replies

• meanness67
    meanness67 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Great exercise for the mind...I'll have to try that!
  • jeebsah
    Options
    Controlling your thoughts....I like it. Thanks for sharing that.
  • markja
    markja Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    This is great! Using the thought and reason of what you want to control and direct emotions of what you feel is excellent.
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    fantastic! so clearly written and works for so many issues! thanks so much for sharing it!
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    Just putting it out there.... Whatever can help people defeat their "inner demons". Mine can't kick my butt anymore. I refuse to allow that!!
  • key03
    key03 Posts: 26
    Options
    Neo that was inspirational! and I intend to try it the next time all those negative thoughts come my way.. :happy:
  • jodie1306
    Options
    I am loving this.

This time around, I have realised that I need to fight the mental battle to successfully lose the weight, keep it off & change my life.

LOL I will most probably get lots & lots of practice "playing the tape" because I am definately not at the point yet where I am loving getting up at 5:30am to go running.

Thanks for the motivation

Jodie
    :-)
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    You're welcome, Jodie. This has helped me make better choices literally thousands of times.