What's missing in my diet?!

Options
Hi
I've mentioned on here I have a bit of a sensitive stomach - wheat/gluten intolerance and a generally sensitive stomach, but I'm wondering if I'm missing out of my diet. I know there are posts on here with people saying about fibre, and struggling to 'go' as it were... but I have the opposite problem! My worry is nutrients not being absorbed in my body... but not sure what may be missing. I frequently get bouts of diahrrhoea (gross, I know) and am wondering if I'm missing something out, or it's worth checking out, as this tends to be the rule rather than the exception on a daily basis.

Any advice more than welcome!

Thx

Replies

• Buckwheat38
    Options
    do you eat gluten free food?
  • JulsDiane
    JulsDiane Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I've mentioned on here I have a bit of a sensitive stomach - wheat/gluten intolerance and a generally sensitive stomach, but I'm wondering if I'm missing out of my diet. I know there are posts on here with people saying about fibre, and struggling to 'go' as it were... but I have the opposite problem! My worry is nutrients not being absorbed in my body... but not sure what may be missing. I frequently get bouts of diahrrhoea (gross, I know) and am wondering if I'm missing something out, or it's worth checking out, as this tends to be the rule rather than the exception on a daily basis.

Thx

Have you been diagnosed with Celiac's?
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    :smile: It would help if you made your diary public , so we can see what you eating :smile:
  • kandy80cat
    Options
    again the same as me, i have what they call ibs irritable bowel syndrome and get the same problems, i bloat get cramps and upset stomach so i have learnt what i can and can not eat
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Thanks - I do eat wheat free (unless if I go out and don't check ingredients properly!), I was just concerned it may be something else too as my stomach is pretty bad these days. Recently moved countries so maybe the water - although it's New Zealand so has the same sort of filtration system as the UK.

Who knows!
  • kandy80cat
    Options
    mine depends on the weather and what food im eating, in the summer im really bad but ok in the winter, i would definalty get it checked out though, i dont control mine through medication i try to keep it under control buy changing what i eat, lettuce is one thing that really makes me ill and raw onions
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Hi

Thx

Consider some kind or oral rehydration solution / tablet.

If you are going to the toilet a lot you will probably get dehydrated to some extent and lose essentially salt & sugars etc in the process.
  • Buckwheat38
    Options
    if you are celiac you will have to check all ingredients all the time, my best friend is celiac and if she is not careful she get bad cramps and all types of crummy symptoms just as you do.
    be careful even in restaurants, tell them you are allergic to gluten and get a menu without gravy or sauces
    remember that any glutamate or maltodextrine (hum might not be the word in english so sorry about that) are gluten and no good for you
  • JulsDiane
    JulsDiane Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    if you are celiac you will have to check all ingredients all the time, my best friend is celiac and if she is not careful she get bad cramps and all types of crummy symptoms just as you do.
    be careful even in restaurants, tell them you are allergic to gluten and get a menu without gravy or sauces
    remember that any glutamate or maltodextrine (hum might not be the word in english so sorry about that) are gluten and no good for you

Right, my sister has Celiac's and it sounds to me like you haven't gone for testing? You have to be extremely careful of how things are cooked; ie if she wants french fries she has to make sure they aren't cooked int he same fryer as breaded items. You will be amazed at how many items have gluten in them that you would not expect; everything from canned fruit to meats and cheeses. I urge you to get tested. If she has even a little gluten she ends up on the toilet as you are describing.

Here is a website that has tons of info on it.

http://www.celiac.com/
  • brennank
    brennank Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Stress levels can have affect your tummy's balance especially if you have IBS - you said that you have just moved to NZ so this could be part of the recent increase in your problem. Try yoga, massage, core conditioning (not sit-ups or crunches but muscle therapy) or deep breathing techniques. It worked for me :-)
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Thanks - I did think my recent move might have aggravated things somewhat, but this has been going on for a long time. As much as possible I eat wheat/gluten free but not as careful as I should be. I end up thinking I'm a pain to cater for so just put up with it. Lately though it's really bad and as suggested I'll have to try some rehydration sachets and also add more vitamins and minerals to my diet via dispersible/tablet form just for now.

Anyone got any good gluten free recipes that they can recommend? I'm staying with relatives at the moment and am pretty much in charge of the cooking... so at least that way I can watch what I'm putting in my body. My mum used to put it down to me being picky but it's increasingly a problem.