Monster Energy Drinks?

Options
So lately due to hanging out with an old friend, I've developed a sort of addiction to Monsters. Mostly I like the effects of being a complete nutter, but there are some things I'm concerned about. I started drinking them Friday, having half of his that day, two within two hours on Saturday, and three yesterday. I know there has to be some side effects other than 'crashing'.

So I was wondering, what exactly does it do to you and is it bad for my lifestyle change?

Replies

• clahut
    clahut Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Other than it being full of sugar? :tongue:
  • Teresa652
    Teresa652 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    What are the calories in those drinks?
  • mlloos
    mlloos Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Monter's Absolutely Zero has no sugar and no calories. I love them, too! So glad they were able to make them zero calories.
  • Teresa652
    Teresa652 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Wow, I didn't know that. Zero calories is good. How much caffine do you get? I'm pretty sure too much can't be good for you.
  • BrianJLamb
    BrianJLamb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Yep. Monster Energy Drinks are bad for your lifestyle change. There are a couple of things that make this product not so good for people trying to maintain a healthy metabolism and working on weight loss. First and foremost it is loaded with sugar. Second, it is loaded with caffeine. I don't know the specifics of the other ingredients in it, but I am betting that they are not the best for you.

The amount of sugar in these drinks will not burn off while you are hanging out with your friends. It will find its way into fat stores and help you to keep weight on. It will also spike your insulin levels and cause you to dump out on the tail end, making you tired. This up and down causes your body to bottom metabolically.

The caffeine will help to dehydrate you, also slowing down your metabolism.

Zero sugar energy drinks are full of artificial sweeteners. I have done this myself, at points. I've allowed myself the "luxury" of diet sodas and soft drinks. They keep me thinking that sweeter is better and I also start to forget that everything about the artificial sweeteners is unhealthy for me. Drink your water!!!

Your best bet is to drink water. It has zero calories, no sugar, keeps you hydrated, etc. Even drinking sweet drinks like Monster or Coke, etc. will keep your brain and body thinking that unnatural readily available processed sugars are acceptable.

Your energy should be coming from food, exercise, and sleep.
  • mlloos
    Options
    The energy blend comes from taurine, panax ginseng, L-carnitine, glucoronolactone, inositol, guarana, and maltodextrin (not caffeine). My understanding is that these are mostly from plant-based products.
  • BrianJLamb
    BrianJLamb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Put your butt on a treadmill and run or get on an elliptical. Raise your heart rate through exercise and get plenty of sleep. It will also have the nice side effect of boosting positive chemicals in your brain which will keep you wanting to exercise, eat well, etc.
  • mlloos
    Options
    Yes, of course, they should be done in moderation. I never drink them after lunch and usually only drink one serving (1/2 a can). I pour the remainder into an airtight bottle and refrigerate for the next time. Occasionally, I have the entire can, but then I don't worry about the calories because there are none in the Monster Absolutely Zero version. Educate yourself about the ingredients and Enjoy!
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I admit to still drinking Rockstar (sugar Free), I drink one 2 or 3 times a week.

Meh, I know they aren't great for me but A. I've already changed my lifestyle, B. I have no vises left, I don't smoke (quit 5 years ago), I RARELY drink (once or twice a year I have one or two drinks), I don't drink soda anymore (even diet 99% of the time).

So in the scheme of things I'll deal with it. I DO know that I need to drink even MORE water on those days because they dehydrate you because of the additional caffeine.
  • T_William
    T_William Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I'm still drinking them a couple times per week, they taste great and perk me up on long days at work. Yes there not healthy but not much is! Still seen great weight loss, an improved metabolism, feeling much fuller sooner when having meals and more energy all week regardless of drinks so I dont feel the need to dump the monster as I have them in moderation, drink 3-4L of water daily and cut out almost all other fizzy drinks
  • juliesweetheart
    Options
    I think monster absolute zero is a great help to loosin weight rrally any energy zero calorir zero sigar and carbs is great because its pure energy raises ur metabolism and energy which to me its like weight lose pills their basically energy pills with no fat or sugar or anything so y not just drink an energy drink in the morning to speed up your denergy through the day!:)
  • jeffzirker
    Options
    I've recently started drinking Verve! energy drinks, from vemma. The foundational vemma formula is a very healthy vitamin, mangosteen and aloe blend. The energy drinks combine that with only 5g natural sweeteners and lightly carbonated spring water for a really good tasting, healthy energy drink.

Besides the great product (official energy drink of Charlotte Bobcats, Phoenix Suns; used by ABC's Chris Powell in his diet plan, and more), there is a network opportunity that is EXCEPTIONAL for the Fitness and Young People's demographics. But my motivation is to get people to try the products, that's all. I feel BETTER since drinking the vemma products. Message me if interested in either, (product - I can send free samples or opportunity).

If you're already drinking Monster, 5-hour energy, Red Bull, etc. this product is for you. For a little more per month you can get a lot healthier product.
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Monter's Absolutely Zero has no sugar and no calories. I love them, too! So glad they were able to make them zero calories.

My favorite!
  • xDawnsgrace
    xDawnsgrace Posts: 436
    Options

My favorite!

Ultra zero is the best :wink:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Yep. Monster Energy Drinks are bad for your lifestyle change. There are a couple of things that make this product not so good for people trying to maintain a healthy metabolism and working on weight loss. First and foremost it is loaded with sugar. Second, it is loaded with caffeine. I don't know the specifics of the other ingredients in it, but I am betting that they are not the best for you.

The amount of sugar in these drinks will not burn off while you are hanging out with your friends. It will find its way into fat stores and help you to keep weight on. It will also spike your insulin levels and cause you to dump out on the tail end, making you tired. This up and down causes your body to bottom metabolically.

Zero sugar energy drinks are full of artificial sweeteners. I have done this myself, at points. I've allowed myself the "luxury" of diet sodas and soft drinks. They keep me thinking that sweeter is better and I also start to forget that everything about the artificial sweeteners is unhealthy for me. Drink your water!!!

Your best bet is to drink water. It has zero calories, no sugar, keeps you hydrated, etc. Even drinking sweet drinks like Monster or Coke, etc. will keep your brain and body thinking that unnatural readily available processed sugars are acceptable.

LMAO at the bolded

First what is DNL?

Second, whoopsie

The effect of caffeine, green tea and tyrosine on thermogenesis and energy intake
    http://www.nature.com/ejcn/journal/v63/n1/abs/1602901a.html
    Results: Caffeine induced a thermogenic response of 6% above baseline value (72±25 kJ per 4 h, mean±s.e.) compared to placebo (P<0.0001)

Conclusions: Only caffeine was thermogenic in the given dose and caused no haemodynamic side effects.

thermogenesis.gif
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options

LMAO at the bolded

First what is DNL?

Second, whoopsie

The effect of caffeine, green tea and tyrosine on thermogenesis and energy intake
    http://www.nature.com/ejcn/journal/v63/n1/abs/1602901a.html
    Results: Caffeine induced a thermogenic response of 6% above baseline value (72±25 kJ per 4 h, mean±s.e.) compared to placebo (P<0.0001)

Conclusions: Only caffeine was thermogenic in the given dose and caused no haemodynamic side effects.

thermogenesis.gif

I was about to say that.
  • MySlimGoals
    MySlimGoals Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I tried to lose weight for years while maintaining an addiction to coke zero. I failed. But when I gave up all fizzy suddenly losing weight became almost - easy. Four months into having no fizz - look how much I've lost! Drinking that energy drink is not doing you any favours. Stop now before you find it even harder to give up!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    What are the calories in those drinks?
    240 cals, 60g carbs, per 500ml can. So not really that bad.

I have one about 4 times a week, because I enjoy the drink. Doesn't get me wired or anything. Sometimes helpful on a bad morning to wake up a bit pre-gym.
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I <3 Monster Zero Calorie/ Low Carb (vs. Rockstar)! They really do give a good energy boost. I won't drink the ones with high sugar/carbs.. I already feel somewhat guilty drinking the energy drink (since I know a lot of the artificial sweeteners are bad), so might as well not feel even more guilty by drinking the ones loaded with calories. Which is why I ALWAYS stick to 0 calorie/low carb.

Everything in moderation. If you're starting to have one everyday for breakfast... bad (my sister did this). Every once in a while, have a ball.
  • ElBence
    ElBence Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    There was a girl who died after drinking two in a short period of time. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/24/anais-fournier-energy-drinks-caffeine-toxicity-poisoning_n_1373655.html. Granted, she had a heart problem, and shouldn't have been drinking them in the first place, but if you have an undiagnosed heart issue, death is a very real possibility.