Frustrated.....................

Options
Several weeks, actually months on this website, doing all of the right things and getting no success. 95% of the time, I stay within my calorie allowance, walk at a brisk pace for 30 minutes every morning, eating healthy, cooked on my stove meals, added more fiber, never touch sugar, portions are much smaller and last but not least, I cut out all white foods. It has been a week and I have not had any bread, rice, potatoes, not so much as a cracker. I do give my self one free day to have red meat, otherwise, I am eating chicken and pork and tuna. So \why in the hell can I not lose any weight? I started this a couple months ago and I weigh exactly what I weighed the first day I started this. The three pounds that my ticker shows is a mistake from when I first signed up and I did not know how to correct it. All I want to do now is cry. I have never in my life tried so hard to accomplish something and then fail so miserably. I am sitting here right now trying real hard to keep a positive attitude. :frown:

Replies

• traceytoo
    Options
    hi there, is your diary open, maybe let people take a look and see if they can spot anything that you cannot
  • clahut
    clahut Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I can't say definitely what is going wrong but maybe you need to change things up for a week. Eat some different things. Add some more intensity into your exercise and drink loads of water.

I find I plateau a lot (lose 3 lbs then stick for about 3 weeks), but changing things around 'confuses' my body and it starts to burn more again. It can get a little disheartening, but keep at it until you find what works for you.

C
  • noelani123
    noelani123 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have it opened. I am willing to accept all comments and suggestions.
  • Aid_B
    Aid_B Posts: 427
    Options
    Everybody is different

I put on weight for the first couple of months it wasn't until month three that the weight started to come off.

Hang in there keep going and it will work for you
  • aehenson
    Options
    You haven't seen a difference at all in the way your clothes fit or anything??? You may have lost some inches but not pounds....
  • djthom
    djthom Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Did you do your measurements? Some times the scale doesn't move, but your still losing inches. Don't give up, you'll get there! :flowerforyou:
  • ertgreg
    Options
    I feel the same way sometimes. Just don't give up. That's what got the most of us to where we are, right? You are at least very aware as to what you are eating now and like the other people said try to mix it up. Open your diary so people can give you some feedback. I had a horrible week last week but as of today I'm going to get more focused and really get back on track. I want to get to 230 or 220 so bad. Good luck!
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Your diary is still showing closed here.

Before coming here I logged my food at 1600-1800 calories from January to May, was still gaining 3lb a month. I then dropped to 1300-1500 from May to September...lost none gained none. It was only when I dropped below 1200 that I started seeing results, I'm not saying everyone should do this but if what you are doing is not getting results you do need to change things but do make sure you are giving it a proper chance. I did give it plenty of time (4 months) before making a drastic change (a change that had to be made as I needed to lose 2 stone before I was allowed to take part in pulmonary rehab)

If we can see your diary we will be able to see what you're on etc and to check the figures
  • kearbear2011
    Options
    I have a thyroid problem so I have problems losing weight as well have you ever had it checked out?
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I still can't see your diary... Go to the "My Home" tab, then "Settings", then "Diary Settings", scroll down, then select "Public" and "Save Changes".
  • Ambrogio1
    Ambrogio1 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Great job quiting smoking, thats huge and a great feat. Many people cannot quit smoking and I can tell you its a bigger impact then your current goal of changing your body.

I would try to increase your training. Brisk walks are good but if you up that to a elliptical 45-1hr session you will burn an additional 300 plus cals.

The best thing you can do is stop thinking about it and realize this is a marathon not a sprint and it will happen.
    IT WILL HAPPEN! Now if your on the alter and you didn't lose come back and cry. We'll cry with ya
  • noelani123
    Options
    Thank you sooooo much to everyone. I have my diary opened now. I really do need to hear from you and see that my struggles have been your struggles. It really does help to know that it is not just me.
  • traceytoo
    Options
    You really need to try and mix it up .. see what works for you .. if I stay within my calories and exercise loads, but my calories are made up mainly of carbs, I'd never lose weight..

I have to keep an eye on my carbs, steer clear from them as much as possible - I try and keep them below 100 grams a day, and I definitely keep my satured fats really low, under 10 gs but most days I keep them much lower than that.

mix everything up , try a few days/week without carbs or as little as possible see if that works, then do the same with sugars and sat fats .. but carbs is a big one for a lot of peole, which is why I originally lost 6 stone on atkins, cos it was such low carbs.

good luck .. you'll get there, keep posting, keep getting advice - it works wonders, having the suppport of people on here

:bigsmile:
  • noelani123
    Options
    Thank you. I have been doing the no carb thing for a week now. I miss my bread!!!!! But, I will keep soldiering on. Seeing what people have posted to my topic has helped me wipe off the tears and keep the hope. Never thought support would work. I have never had to ask anyone for support, much less from people I don't know. But wow, it makes a difference. I see that I am not alone.
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    OK, I have looked at your diary and have a few questions

1) How did you decide to set your calorie goal at 1200?

Depending on how tall you are and how much you weigh, that may be too low.

2) Why are you eating so little every day?

You are not even reaching your 1200 goal.

3) You said you are walking briskly 30 minutes every morning, but I don't see
    it on your diary every day. Are you making sure you record this every day?

30 minutes of brisk walking will probably burn more calories, creating an
    even bigger energy deficit.

What we may be seeing on your diary is what people on MFP call "starvation
    mode". If you do a search on the MFP forums for that phrase you will find
    a lot of discussions about that concept. Basically the idea is that it's possible
    to turn off your body's fat-burning mode and turn on its self-preservation mode
    by not eating enough. For example, your entry for Jan 26th shows that you ate
    less than 1000 calories out of a budget of over 1300. I want to see more days
    like your Jan 10th.

Here is my suggestion:

1) Go through the MFP goal-setting process again (My Home => Goals =>
    Change Goals) and be sure to use the Guided mode.

2) When setting your goals, select 1 lb per week, or at most 1 1/2 lbs
    per week (not 2).

3) Record your exercise very morning immediately after you walk.

4) Go back to My Home and look at the Remaining Calories for
    that day. That is your remaining calorie budget. Do not go under
    that number by too much.

There are different opinions on MFP concerning 1) whether the idea
    of "starvation mode" is real or a myth, and 2) whether eating back your
    exercise calories is good or bad. All I can say is what works for me.
    Give it a try and see if it works for you.

I can see by your diary that you have what it takes to be a success story.
    You have been good about recording consistently (some give this part up
    but it is the most crucial element of the program). You have recorded
    even when you have gone over your budget (some are ashamed and won't
    record everything when they've gone over). You have added exercise (some
    won't make time for it).

We want you to succeed! Do not give up!
  • chango69
    Options
    One last thing remember all of us are different so we all lose weight at different rate I feel you on being frustrated I have lost 8 lbs now I just gain one back, part of the weight gain is me OK it me staying on track on the weekends kill me. However, you can do it.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    I also looked at your diary and to me you simply are not eating enough, and from what I did see your breakfasts are very small which means a poor start for your metabolism, I believe in big breakfasts, if you are short on time them prep everything the night before, I make mine in 15 mins no problem. You should try to aim for no more than a pound a week loss if you want it to last and not yoyo back up. It looks to me from your diary as if you are sabotaging yourself somewhat with such a limited calorie intake, believe it or not I eat more now than what I did before and I love to eat, now though I am eating healthy stuff to give my body what it needs and I am losing weight.
  • Walorie
    Options
    I know it is hard...but please hang in there...if you are working out you have to remember that muscle weighs more than fat but takes up less room...try going by measurements for awhile and see if you notice a difference there. Don't give up!
  • ertgreg
    Options
    If you can rent this at your Library it has some good info. A little hokey but over all some good stuff. Check out Paul McKenna "I can make you thin" I think if you pick up just one or two things it helps on the weight loss journey. He throws some humor in there as well...Has anyone else checked this out??
  • emeraldshan
    emeraldshan Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to see your more inspired, it's not easy at first....but does get better with time!!