help with figuring out nutritional info on chinese food

mielikkibz
mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
edited September 23 in Food and Nutrition
Needing some help, and really don't know if this belongs here so I apologize if it doesn't :)

I broke down yesterday and bought some chinese food: chicken and broccoli, without broccoli LOL(Don't like it), will be sustituting green beans for my veggie. . my problem is this is a little hole in the wall chinese place(but the best chinese I've ever had), so the nutritional info is not available

I did get it without MSG, but have no idea how to figure out what sodium is still in it, am aiming to eat as little sodium today & tomorrow as possible in anything else I eat(I had oatmeal for breakfast instead of my normal egg, bacon sandwich), as well as make it last for maybe 3 meals to cut down the calories, as I'm unsure of how to figure out the calories for that either, so going with the calories of the chicken alone, rounded up, although I may just go get on the bike again tonite when I get home and belt out another round of exercising LOL

I've been trying to stick with 'known' items for my diet, but there are two small hole in the wall places I love the food of, and I use it as a reward. . last month was my pit beef, this month is my chinese :)

Replies

• liaholla
    liaholla Posts: 3 Member
    I know, it is pretty tough, but I figure most whole in the wall chinese places probably generally have the same nutrition information, so I just pick a chinese restaurant from the list...The one I ended up using, I was certain that they didn't calculate it correctly (really 6 grams of fat for 1 cup of broccoli with garlic sauce....when I can SEE the oil floating around in it?!!!) so I exaggerated my servings to make up for it, its not perfect but I tried. :)
  • gina205
    gina205 Posts: 74 Member
    Hi there. There is a section in the food data base. I just typed in chinese food chicken and broccoli. It gave the nutritional value. Hope that helps!
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    When you go get Chinese, get it steamed, sauce on the side. That way, you can log the meats and veggies as is, and then find the equivalent of the sauce and add how much you ate. Since you didn't do that this time, you'll have to improvise. There are chinese sauces in the database (ie brown sauce) so just log in Chicken and green beans, and then add the amount of sauce you think you ate. Usually they add about a cup of sauce to their recipes.
  • mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    thanks guys, and Kami, BIG thanks, didn't think of that at all! This palce is great!
This discussion has been closed.