NSV - I hit my self in the head with a hammer!!

Options
I decided to go see a nutritionist because I am really committed to losing weight. I want to do this right. I want to control my diet and exercise. I am not into diet pills or supplements and I decided to get professional advice to avoid making any mistakes that might be counter-productive.

There is so much information out there, and so many diets, and so many opinions…

I also know that this should not be a diet but a change in life. If I want to be a healthy weight and stay at a healthy weight, I’ve got to make a lifestyle change.

So I start typing up my eating life to give to the nutritionist to fill in all of the blanks.
What I eat (almost all healthy foods).
Why am I overweight (because I am a glutton).
My weight history.
What is my eating routine.

So nothing that I typed up was is going to be news to me. I know me and I know why I am overweight.

So here is the NSV -- I’ve never really stared at my problem and just owned it.

I eat healthy foods. I do not eat chips or fries, cakes or candy. I avoid red meat and I am not into sugar.
I am overweight because I find pleasure in eating the foods that I like to eat. There is no “off” switch for me. A plate of any healthy food that I eat is only half as good as 2 plates of the same thing.

As I type this now, it seems so trivial, so -- “Dahh – hey dummy, you are overweight because you overeat”. But when I typed it up and put it on paper – exposing myself completely – I took ownership.

Some people go to Subway and get a 6” sub. Some of us get a 12” sub. I have gone and gotten 2 – 12” subs. And the truth is that I could eat 3. What stops me from getting 2 or 3 subs. I really don’t know. It is not that “I’m not that hungry” - because nobody is that hungry. It is not that I have a “REASONABLE BUTTON”.

For years, when I have been offered a food that I enjoy, I have expressed to my wife that I’d rather go without completely rather than have a small portion. She can eat 1 spoon of ice cream or half of a peanut butter sandwich and be happy. Eating a small portion is punishment to me. Eating the portion size listed in the nutritional information is punishment.

The bottom line is that I do not eat because I am hungry and I don’t stop eating because I am full. I eat because I have time and food is available. I stop eating because the food is gone or because I would not want anybody see me eat anymore food.

So my NSV is that I am now in search of the “REASONABLE BUTTON”. In the meantime, I am exercising and logging my meals. I’ll know that I have found my “REASONABLE BUTTON” when I can not only stop at 1 plate of food, but be happy and satisfied with it.

I decided to post this because I’m guessing that many of us need that “REASONABLE BUTTON”. Your issue might be that you have self-control on quantity but can’t lay-off of a certain bad food. Or maybe you eat for the wrong reasons.

Replies

• morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    wow! don't know what else to say but WOW!!
  • Thorneapple
    Options
    Good for you! I think that is the first step to getting headed in teh right direction. Recognizing what the issue is. Now that you have, you are going to do great!
  • Sherri0706
    Options
    Thanks for this. I need to examine where my "reasonable button" is.
  • lovemyhellokitty
    lovemyhellokitty Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I know EXACTLY what you mean. I feel like I have no willpower when it comes to the foods I love. One of my biggest problems is sweets so I just don't buy them. It helps not to buy them at all but doesn't really solve the problem because I will not always be able to control the amount of sweets in my environment (especially if I am at someone else's house). I quit smoking almost 6 years ago but can't seem to break the life long habit of over-eating. I need one of those buttons! :)
  • jlanzer
    jlanzer Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat... For the super bowl party I was at I ate nothing but the fruit and vegetable tray but I ate the ENTIRE tray... I just love food and I love to eat. It doens't have to be bad food it just has to be food:) Since I joined MFP I try to drink at least an entire glass of water before I eat. To be honest it doesn't "fill me up" I just have to normally use the bathroom so I have an excuse to leave the table. Push away from the food. Good luck in your journey!
  • anikkim0915
    anikkim0915 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I eat healthy foods. I do not eat chips or fries, cakes or candy. I avoid red meat and I am not into sugar.
    I am overweight because I find pleasure in eating the foods that I like to eat. There is no “off” switch for me. A plate of any healthy food that I eat is only half as good as 2 plates of the same thing.

OMG! I could have written the exact same statement! I will honestly say, what I found helps for me to keep from doing this is to 1 drink a HUGE glass of water before my meal. 2 take a bite, put down my fork and take a drink of water. I also make sure I eat more slowly now... and when my DH is done eating I am too. Often times now, I am done before he is and I get up and start putting left overs away (I don't eat left overs, so it is easier for me to stay away from them if I get them off the dinner table quickly)

Great job in taking the right steps toward a healthier you!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!