Help! I can't seem to get the scale to movw

Options
Hi,
I have been trying since the new year to loose some weight and just to be a healthier person. I have been sticking to my calories and not going over and I always adjust my caloric intake on the days I do and don't workout. It doesn't matter what I do I just can't seem to move those little nubmers on the scale. I do treat myself evey now and then but i have a major sweet tooth and i just can't seem to cut it. If anyone has any suggestions about how to get out this hole or any ideas on how to curve the sweet cravings I would greatly appreciate them. Malymal:flowerforyou:

Replies

• hwjssc
    hwjssc Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Take a grahm cracker and put fat free whipped cream in in the middle and put in the freezer...it 's like a ice cream sandwich:)
  • liaholla
    liaholla Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Well I will say that excess sugar will turn to fat. Watch your sugar and your fat numbers...Sometimes it is easy to get hung up on the calories, but if you don't watch those other two numbers then you won't lose. If you eat fruit (real fruit and not things that are just partially fruit) then you don't have to count those natural sugars.

But other than that, just keep it up! I've been on here for 2 months and I've lost about 8 lbs with hardly any exercise (unless moving luggage counts). I'm on 1340 calorie intake per day, but I often come below that...to get rapid results you have to have a low calorie goal.

So every time you pick up something sweet to eat, think about how you want those numbers on the scale to move. Try staying under your sugar and fat goals every day for the next 2 weeks and see if that doesn't cause that scale to move. :)
  • cedder1
    cedder1 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Make sure your diet is not overly high in sodium. This will cause fluid retention and the numbers on the scale will stick. You have to find a good healty diet with some sodium, preferable no more than 2,500 mg per day. An eye opener for me were the lean cuisine and weight watcher meals. They are low in fat and caloires, but some are VERY high in sodium. Lunchmeats are also bad. Turkey seems like a good alternative, but look at the sodium content. THIS IS A BIGGIE when it comes to weight loss.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Well I will say that excess sugar will turn to fat. Watch your sugar and your fat numbers...Sometimes it is easy to get hung up on the calories, but if you don't watch those other two numbers then you won't lose. If you eat fruit (real fruit and not things that are just partially fruit) then you don't have to count those natural sugars.

But other than that, just keep it up! I've been on here for 2 months and I've lost about 8 lbs with hardly any exercise (unless moving luggage counts). I'm on 1340 calorie intake per day, but I often come below that...to get rapid results you have to have a low calorie goal.

So every time you pick up something sweet to eat, think about how you want those numbers on the scale to move. Try staying under your sugar and fat goals every day for the next 2 weeks and see if that doesn't cause that scale to move. :)

Very true, but I'd like to add.....try eating every 2-3 hours, and keep your carbs low and your lean protein up. Try to balance the two in fact. It really does not do any good to starve all day long so you can eat at Mcdonalds for dinner and still come under calories (just an example)...its best to eat healthy all day long, every 2-3 hours to fuel that metablism and keep your blood sugar level.

As far as sugar cravings go
    trust me in that when you give them up! they will disappear. I have given them up---and I truly could care less about them! I feel so much healthier without them in my life.
  • Red13
    Red13 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    When you crave sweets, try to find something to do to take your mind off of eating. Also, drink lots of water and adding lemon to it will help your body cleanse itself and move things along. I know drinking a lot is annoying because of all the bathroom trips but it's worth it and if you can drink more than 8 glasses, it will help. Another thing is to limit carbs in the night time. Yet another tough thing to do but reach for something with protein when you need a snack after dinner. It will help your HGH burn extra calories while you are sleeping.
  • gehlerc
    gehlerc Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    As far as sugar cravings go
    trust me in that when you give them up! they will disappear. I have given them up---and I truly could care less about them! I feel so much healthier without them in my life.

I will second this. I started this journey following the diet outlined in the book, _The Mayo Clinic Diet_ (endorsed by and published by the Mayo Clinic). Their program has a two-week "jump start" in which, among other things, you are allowed no sugar--including no artificial sweeteners. Going cold-turkey on the sweet stuff absolutely cured my cravings. I highly recommend this approach--and, by the way, the diet overall. (It's full of healthy, filling foods--and it works, at least for me.)

Good luck.
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I am going through the same thing right now.
    I have lowered my calorie count for the day and that seems to help
    somewhat. My problem is the weekends, I do great and lose all
    week then the weekend comes and I seem to gain those l or 2
    pounds back again. This has been a yo yo for me too. I have
    increased my water intake and have really watched my snacking.
    Exercise is key, try to do something everyday even for 30 mins.
    It will tone you up too. I hope this little bit helps. :happy:
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    1) Make your diary public.
    2) Be accountable, log everything, and BE HONEST.

Once we can see what your goals are, what you're eating, how much your exercising, etc we can start to give advice on where you can make improvements. It is really impossible to know on so little information. Without knowing your height/weight/BMI/activity level it's really hard to know where you may be stalling.

Edit: If ANYONE would like honest tips and suggestions on their diet/exercise from someone who has lost and is maintaining, feel free to add me. My diary is open to friends so you can see what I eat as well - I am NOT a perfect eater, but I try to eat clean as often as possible and I eat nearly all whole, unprocessed foods. I am more than willing to offer up advice and suggestions from my own experience but am *not* a registered dietitian. Just wanted to make the offer. Happy to help anyone that is struggling - I know how hard this can be!
  • californiagramma
    Options
    I feel just the same I have been trying to lose 5 pounds since New Year, I got on the scale this morning and I have gained a pound. I am leaving on Saturday for 2 weeks in Jamaica, so Iam quite desperate to at least get back to what.I started at.I don't know about you, but maybe I am just not committed enough yet.
  • terrivision
    terrivision Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Fruit is helpful when you want something really sweet or a low calorie Icee (just make sure you read the back of the package and know the grams of sugar). If you get dried fruit be careful because it may have additional sugar added. Also, you can look for low calorie/low sugar desert recipes. You can also try sugar substitutes. Even chewing gum can help with sweet cravings.

I know what you are going through, my nemesis is potato chips and french fries. At one point I also had sweet craving for cake mostly. The only way to stop the craving is to stop giving into them; just take it one day at a time. You may slip up but you can start again with the next meal or snack. You are stronger than your craving. Eventually, you will be able to resist your desire for sweets. In my experience, the cravings decrease because I know what those foods do to my health/body.

Good luck!