overindulgence...do I have a food addiction?

Options
I've had 3 bad days in a row again, same as last week. I can be strict Tuesday thru Friday, but on my day's off (Sun & Mon) I can't stop eating. Plus once I'm over, my brain is like, "well you're already over..." so it doesn't matter whether its 5 over or 500. I feel like a failure, but I will try my best to stick to my planned menu this week! I worked out twice on Sunday to "help" & longer on Monday to try reduce the impact. No rest for the overindulged. Any advice or encouragement? Does this happen to anyone else?

Any ladies get really hungry or eat bad stuff right before your TOM? I'm wondering if that plus Superbowl Sunday are to blame.

Replies

• jesse1117
    jesse1117 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what advice to give you since I do the exact same thing (especially the "well, I'm already over...") but I don't think we have a food addiction. Don't sweat it too much and try again next weekend, that's what I'm doing.
  • emersoam
    emersoam Posts: 179
    Options
    I can TOTALLY relate! I've been doing this sort of binging since Thanksgiving!! It's so frustrating and difficult to break out of it, and the weather this winter isn't helping either. I'm not going to give "advice," because I am still "working on it." I just wanted you to know that you are not alone. Try to keep doing the best you can each day, each moment.
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I look for pre-packaged foods that I enjoy and fit my low-carb requirement (my doctor swears by low-carb, with a mix of calorie, protein, and fiber counting on the side). I drink a bottle of water before anything touches my lips to reduce the need for excess food. The pre-packaging is a little more expensive, but in the long run it helps. I get pre-packaged cheese, applesauce, yogurts, snack bars, fruit cups, etc. It keeps me from over-indulging, but I can still enjoy food.
  • Loran598
    Options
    I do the EXACT same thing. My problem comes into play when I think... "I've already eaten like crap, so I might as well keep going" I can't help it. It comes on the weekends and this week carried into Monday. You're not alone!
  • 123nikki123
    Options
    Sounds just like me! Why do we do this to ourselves? I am good on the exact same days as you...Tuesday through Friday then BOOM...I eat like crap and I eat a TON! I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one going through this cause it sucks:(
  • peggybrant
    peggybrant Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    This is what I believe....you will be able to do it when you want it bad enough. How bad to you want it? You must have the conviction that nothing can stop you and don't let anyone tell you you can't. There is a huge difference between 5, 500, or 5000 calories so stick to the lesser of evils. Good Luck and God Bless, Peggy
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    My guess is, you are probably being too strict in the first place, so at the slightest opportunity for latitude your brain and stomach rebel. Relax, stop putting so much pressure on being perfect- give yourself an indulgence or splurge on those days off. Planning for it will help make sure you don't go completely out of control too. I personally like to have take out for the lunch after my weigh in. It's the perfect time to go a bit over even with unhealthy food- I have a whole week for my body to adjust to the sodium and work off the excess. Remember too- MFP is counting you at a deficit, so there is some cushion for going over your cals without it being a "fail" day- ie- If MFP has you at 1300 calories and you are set to lose a lb a week, you can eat up to 1800 and not actually cause yourself to gain- so that little red number is by no means a failure of a day!

Ease up and remember, its a marathon not a sprint!
  • Creiche
    Creiche Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I think it's more of a habit than a food addiction. I used to (and sometimes still) do the same thing, especially the "well I'm already over, so I might as well go crazy". For me it finally came down to the choice of whether or not I wanted all those goodies, or if I want to make progress. I surely have my bad days here and there, especially the week of my TOM, but I make myself get up the next day and refocus. My only advice is to take it one day at a time, and you have to mentally let those bad days go. They're in the past, you can't fix them now, all you can do is really focus on doing the best you can on the current day. If you get insane cravings or have a moment of weakness, chug some water, and make sure to have some healthy snack options nearby to grab so you're not reaching for chips or a candy bar. You can do it!!
  • flipnsexy
    Options
    I used to be like this! A LOT actually. So I completely know how you feel. This time around though when I started my weightloss journey after the new year, I have been doing awesome!! Some things that really help are if you can join some sort of local club for weight loss competition?? I did that at a local gym of mine and I am competitive so I knew if I joined that, that I would just give up on myself. Make it known to EVERYONE, literally everyone that you are trying to lose weight and you need all the support that you can get. I used to always try and lose weight but not share that with all my friend about how serious I was and the second they would offer me chocolate or want to go out to eat at some fatty restaurant, I'd be all in. If they don't know, they can't help you. Another thing is, I would always try to diet and my husband is not overweight so he can eat whatever he wants. That being said we would always have bad temptations in the house. Well we don't buy anything unhealthy at all. If its not in your house, you won't eat it. And last but not least, if you "indulge" in something, that is fine. Just don't binge or make it an all day event. Treat yourself every once in awhile so you are not deprived because thats when people totally go over board. And just be completely concious of it. Its Hope these tips help :) Good luck. You are stronger then you think and we all know you can do it!!!
  • bigredlisa
    Options
    This does seem to happen to me too. I'm an at home mom and I find myself eating when I'm not even hungry because I'm bored. I live in Minnesota with a 1 yr old so getting out in the winter months to exercise is almost impossible. I use what I have here sometimes but get bored with them as well. I know come spring it will be easier to get exercise. Since i rarely go without the kids with me, my friends and family like to take me to lunch. I have tried to go and just get water or a basic salad but that never seems to work so I end up eating anyway, which completely ruins my diet goals. I think my problem is I LOVE FOOD! Right now its the only "release" I have. For me, I know being a busy mom of 4 boys, ranging in ages 17, to 1, I get tired and don't have the energy to exercise. I am not gaining weight. but really not losing either.

I have a friend who is really into health and fitness, and loves food as well, she eats and works out diligently on wk days but on weekends eats what she wants and does less exercise, she is a firm believer that eating what you want and resting keeps you on track most of the time.

My brain tells me that too, I have to tell myself tommarow is a new day. But I do have to fight the "your already over" attitude. Its really tough, I know.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    This is what I believe....you will be able to do it when you want it bad enough. How bad to you want it? You must have the conviction that nothing can stop you and don't let anyone tell you you can't. There is a huge difference between 5, 500, or 5000 calories so stick to the lesser of evils. Good Luck and God Bless, Peggy

Thats it in a nutshell.

Not a food addiction. You have to find things to do with your idle time until you have the mindset that no matter what you aren't going to over eat.

I'm home majority of the day and definitely bored most of it. How much fun can you have entertaining toddlers from 6:30 am to 5:30 pm?? My entertainment was food until I learn that wasn't the job it was intended for. Its fuel.

Start working on your inner self. If not you will find yourself at this very point time and time again.

Much success to you in your journey.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you can't really blame it on anything other than the choices you've made. That doesn't necessarily mean you're a failure either. A food addiction would have you turning to food as a way of masking pain or some sort of emotional distress, as it is with any addiction. I would know because I'm a recovering drug addict.

The one thing recovering addicts learn is that just because you relapse, that doesn't mean you're not seriously attempting to become better. Though, I doubt you have a food addiction, the thought can be applied to anybody's situation. Just because you overindulged 3 days in a row, that doesn't mean you're not seriously trying to lose weight.

The only thing anyone can do to stop whatever it is that's making them feel worse, is to just literally stop. Enjoy the fact that you took 3 days off of your healthy alternative lifestyle. Those days are already done and passed. Just start doing what you normally do now. Considering that today is a day that's easy for you to be strict with yourself, continue that motivation everyday of the week. Don't think of weekends as a rest period from all of life. Sure you can enjoy them, and that doesn't mean you can't enjoy a healthy lifestyle on weekends either.

The leniency you give yourself regarding the "you're already over [your daily intake]" mentality, really does matter. There is a difference between 5 and 500 calories. You can burn off those extra 10 - 15 calories just brushing your teeth for 5 minutes. To burn off an EXTRA 1000 - 1500 calories would take some serious cardio. But they can be burned off. If you enjoy exercise, that wouldn't be a problem. You can't be too lenient or strict. Find a way to make every part of life enjoyable.

[Permanent] weight loss is a lifestyle change. Meaning you change everything in your life to become healthier. If you're just trying to lose, what, 13 lbs temporarily...then you're just on a diet where cheat days couldn't even be considered detrimental because you're just going to try every method in the book just to lose those pounds just to feel better. That is, until you gain weight again and then begin the cycle all over. So decide if your goal is permanent or temporary. Then make a choice with how you seriously you feel about achieving that goal. Then stick with any decision you've made and be honest with that decision. Don't lie to yourself because if you can't even trust yourself, you become your own hindrance, and there's no way another person could do or say anything to help you at that point.

Good luck with your plan. Again, it's never too late to start over. You just have to do it.
  • lhague
    lhague Posts: 258
    Options
    Try doing something that gets you away from the food on your days off. Sometimes when I want to eat, I go workout instead. Also, I find that reading the posts on here helps me stay away from the food. I know some say only supply your home with good food, well hey, if you eat enough good food the calories do add up.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options

Any ladies get really hungry or eat bad stuff right before your TOM? I'm wondering if that plus Superbowl Sunday are to blame.

Sorry TOM and super bowl sunday are to blame ??? are you serious! TOM , don't but snack/ junk food you can't eat it Superbowl sunday did not just appear! you knew it was comming YOU BLEW IT. forget it move on small steps in the right direction, you will get there , but YOU have to take control , nobody else can do it for you..

Good luck on your journey!
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I do think it is a mild form of an eating disorder, but I think it can be mastered (I've been getting better at it!)

My main struggle is the fact that weekends are so unstructured and relaxed, that I want to do the same thing with my diet and exercise regimin. I've tried to overcome this by eating well-balanced meals, but no more than three meals with one snack. And... NOT in front of the TV, or I'll be noshing and be completely unsatisfied.

I also wake up and get my workout in right away (I do sleep in, though.... I'm totally NOT a morning person). If I wait, other things distract me and I never get the time in.

Lastly, I would recommend that during the week, you give yourself little treats. Just be sure to portion control them. That way, on the weekend you'll be less likely to binge because you haven't been depriving yourself.

Hope something in here helps you!:-)

Shannon
  • doramouse
    Options
    I noticed you said you go over board on your days off. Maybe don't give yourself days off but rather incorporate an occasional treat in your daily life. I went through this eating thing this past 9 or 10 days. Too busy with work, school and other projects that needed my attention so I gave myself the time "off" from going to the gym - and found I was eating like crazy w/o any real control.
    Good luck - and hang in there - you can do it!
  • SheliaN1960
    SheliaN1960 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have a broken metor that does not tell me when I have had enough. When I would eat one candy bar my brain would beg for another and another and I am sure you can see where this is going. There seems to be something about sugar and flour that puts my brain in a numb mode and the stop light does not work. I mean that I think like you, well you have already done it now....so what!! So, saying that I am 46 days sugar, wheat and flour free and yet I still fill satisfied. Apples, pineapple (which is a fruit that I am told should be eaten everyday) and mostly all fruits seem to do the job when it comes to sugar cravings. I once joined a food addictis recovery and I believe with all of my heart that I can not nor will I ever be able to control these foods. So, I have decided to use as little of these products as possible and with changes still get the foods that can fill me and help me lose the weight!

hang in there and bst wishes to you!!!!
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this as well. Usually I am good Mon-Thursday and then....terrible!!!! I know that is why my weightloss has been so slow! I get so frustrated! So yeah, I feel your pain!:sad: :blushing:
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options

Thats it in a nutshell.

Not a food addiction. You have to find things to do with your idle time until you have the mindset that no matter what you aren't going to over eat.

I'm home majority of the day and definitely bored most of it. How much fun can you have entertaining toddlers from 6:30 am to 5:30 pm?? My entertainment was food until I learn that wasn't the job it was intended for. Its fuel.

Start working on your inner self. If not you will find yourself at this very point time and time again.

Much success to you in your journey.

I CONCUR!