almost 3 weeks. I need some help

Options
And I have only managed to lose 5 pounds. I work out everyday almost and and I am only eating 1200 calories. I don't understand why I am not losing more! I havent noticed a difference in the way my clothes are fitting either. It is day like this that I just feel fat and want to give up. In the first week and a half I was doing great and now I feel like I am not progressing. I HATE THIS!!!!

Replies

• ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    1-2 lbs a week is the norm. Seems like you are right on track.
  • soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I know it's frustrating but you're really not suppose to lose more. To keep weight off you need to lose slow and steady. As long as the numbers are going down just keep at it. This is not a short term fix but a long term change.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you are exercising then 1200 calories is not enough, you should eat most of the extra calories you burn from exercise as without exercise you would hit your goal at 1200 cals. If you burn 300 cals it is as if you are only eating 900 cals (1200-300) which is not enough.
  • lucky48
    lucky48 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I started out really good and managed to lose 5.5 pounds. Now for the past two weeks, I haven't lost a thing. I've gotten discouraged and for the past 2 days "pigged out", eating almost 1,000 calories over my 1,200 limit.
  • reeveskl28
    reeveskl28 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone else ur on track just keep at it your doing great!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    1-2 lbs a week is the norm. Seens like you are right on track.

ditto 5 lbs in 3 weeks is more than the 1 lb/week that MFP suggests so you are ahead of the game, no reason to get down.
  • wannabefit4life
    Options
    Are you eating in your workout calories to get a net of 1200? If you aren't getting a NET of 1200, you are essentially starving your body. If you don't have enough fuel for your body to burn, it's not going to burn. It will completely stall your efforts. Try and get a NET of 1200.
  • gina205
    gina205 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Seems to me you're right on track. The program is designed to lose 1-2 lbs a week. Sounds like that's exactly where you are. If you are not eating the calories burned from exercise then you may not be eating enough. Don't give up! Sometime you just have to try different things to find what works for you.
  • mjrichey7
    Options
    :smile: You need to remember that when working out you are replacing fat with muscle and muscle does weigh a lot more than fat, but you are still losing the 1-2 pounds a week! You are making a difference in your overall health, you can do it and everyone here will help support you! Don't give up!
  • If you are exercising then 1200 calories is not enough, you should eat most of the extra calories you burn from exercise as without exercise you would hit your goal at 1200 cals. If you burn 300 cals it is as if you are only eating 900 cals (1200-300) which is not enough.

I do eat my exercise calories sometimes I end up actually eating like 1800 calories from all the exercise I'm doing, am I doing this right. I lost all my weight thus far in the first week and a half now the scale isnt moving.
  • hummingbirdxss
    hummingbirdxss Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    If you are exercising then 1200 calories is not enough, you should eat most of the extra calories you burn from exercise as without exercise you would hit your goal at 1200 cals. If you burn 300 cals it is as if you are only eating 900 cals (1200-300) which is not enough.

Agree !! Working out everyday is going to require more cal intake than just 1200. Bump up to about 1400 or so and see if that helps !! Make them healthy calories too !!! Good Luck !!
  • Are you eating in your workout calories to get a net of 1200? If you aren't getting a NET of 1200, you are essentially starving your body. If you don't have enough fuel for your body to burn, it's not going to burn. It will completely stall your efforts. Try and get a NET of 1200.
    Yesterday I ate 1400 calories but only had a net of 228 calories due to all the exercising that i'm doing.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options

I do eat my exercise calories sometimes I end up actually eating like 1800 calories from all the exercise I'm doing, am I doing this right. I lost all my weight thus far in the first week and a half now the scale isnt moving.

If you are truly sticking to your plan, which it sounds like you are, then just keep at it babe. In a week or two you will probably have a nice jump on the scale. Our bodies are weird sometimes. You are doing great! Oh, make sure you are watching your sodium intake (1500-2500) and are drinking lots of water. This will help!
  • teeley
    teeley Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Isn't it all about "feeling good?" I am 275 I just started and have not lost a pound yet...but man I feel great. Excercising daily and knowing I am eating right for the first time in my life. I say if you feel good and just continue this journey through life, the pounds will eventually come off. Stop stressing about weight, and just learn to feel good.
  • wpij25
    wpij25 Posts: 161
    Options
    Isn't it all about "feeling good?" I am 275 I just started and have not lost a pound yet...but man I feel great. Excercising daily and knowing I am eating right for the first time in my life. I say if you feel good and just continue this journey through life, the pounds will eventually come off. Stop stressing about weight, and just learn to feel good.

Amen to that!!!!:happy:
  • Mateo1985
    Options
    I agree with the messages above. If you're only eating 1200 calories a day you shouldn't be working out. If you burn even 100 calories during your work out then your body only gets to keep 1100 calories which makes it go into starvation mode. Therefore your body tries to save fat instead of burning it. I was on 1200 calories for 3 months and I lost 30 something pounds. Now I'm a little by a little I add calories to my diet. Usually 100 cal per two weeks. I'm eating 1600 calories now which allows me to get enough calories for my body plus a little work out.

I completely understand that you want to change faster. Just keep track of your weight and body fat percentage. Over time you'll see a huge difference.

Also, no one losses wait all the time. You usually lose some wait and then you hit a plattoo before you lose more wait. Just be patient. You'll see the results soon enough.
  • Isn't it all about "feeling good?" I am 275 I just started and have not lost a pound yet...but man I feel great. Excercising daily and knowing I am eating right for the first time in my life. I say if you feel good and just continue this journey through life, the pounds will eventually come off. Stop stressing about weight, and just learn to feel good.

I really apriciated your comment. It's true since starting my lifestyle change I have actually started to love going to the gym and love the feeling I get after working out. I am at 198.4 right now and I am really happy with the work I have been putting in. But I guess I just want to see that instant gratification of weight loss.
  • TinaBean007
    TinaBean007 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Stay on track with your nutrition... as everyone is saying, slow and steady. Also, try setting non-weight related goals so you can see progress is a different way. (A healthy body isn't just a number on the scale.) Maybe lifting a certain weight, or doing a certain number of push-ups, or running for a certain time and distance.

Also, you could set a nutrition goals and reward yourself with new sneakers! (You might even choose to stay off the scale during that time.)

Don't give up on yourself. Accomplishment is the best motivation...
  • CristalBelle
    Options
    From reading one of your reply's, it looks like you aren't eating enough to support your workouts. You mentioned eating 1400 calories in a day, but burning off essentially 1200 of those calories. That basically is telling your body to live off 200 calories, which it won't like doing at all. If you burn 1200 calories through workouts in a day, then you need to be eating closer to 2000 a day to make up for some of the calories burned. You can't build lean muscle mass on such low calories, and that is what ultimately keeps your body burning cals long after you stopped working out.
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way- I've been on my treadmill doing circuits every day with dumbell exercises and situps and have actually went backwards! I had my baby 6 weeks ago and just can't loseany pounds in a weeks time! I initially lost a couple but went right back up to where I've been for the past 2-3 wks! I feel for ya-I also feel like throwing in the towel!