1200 calories a day

Options
Hi again!
MFP reccommends that I eat 2030 calories a day but Ive only been eating 1200-1400 a day and walking for 1 hour everyday. Ive lost 15 pounds already but will this continue to be successful? Any suggestions are welcome!

Replies

• jennlee80
    Options
    Whatever you're doing seems to be working for you. If you hit a plateau, then I'd change somethings! I would stay closer to the 1,400 cals and not drop below 1,200. CONGRATS ON YOUR 15 POUNDS!
  • skinnyme125
    skinnyme125 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    It will work for a little while but your body will go into starvation mode before too long.
  • ScottyLikesCake
    ScottyLikesCake Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Consistently eating well below your calorie goal and exercising will slow your weight lose.

You've made a fabulous start but big loses are not maintainable and a slow steady weight lose is better for your body and will be eaier to maintain in the long run. Initially you will probably find you have a few weeks of big loses where your body gets rid of excess fluid and adjusts to your new eating regime but you cannot expect it to keep up for a long period. A healthy loss of 1-3lb a week (depending on how far you are from your goal weight) is more realistic.

You're off to a great start, good luck!
  • lradloff
    lradloff Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    What do you have your goals at? And how much do you have to lose?? I know initially I had my goal at losing 1 lb a week, and I was close to 1900 for my calories... I decided that I would set it at 2 lbs a week and it now has me at about 1350 a day. I know eventually I'll have to bump it to less weight loss a week, but for now it's working. =)
  • jadedjade24
    Options
    remember that its not always about eating more, just eating foods that are higher in calories. Instead of having that salad, eat a burger. That is a higher intake of calories and you dont have to eat so much salad to feel just as full.

Remeber that 1200 calories is not a lot. And anyone would lose weight if they starv their bodies. This is not the healthy way to lose weight because it can not always be maintained.

Just my thoughts on it.
  • AEROBICVIC
    AEROBICVIC Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    i'm living proof it hurts you more than helps you! i have raised my cal intake and put on wt at first but i'm sticking to it and it is finally starting to come off. i set my cal intake at 1150-1200 for 4 years, yes took off some at first then hit a brick wall. still need to drop another 25 or more lbs to be where i want but now doing it the right way and hoping to see results. i also teach aerobics and lift heavy 5-6 days a week, so keeping my cals low has hurt me big time. i've been spinning my wheels for the last 3 years with no changes.....very frustrating! read the article on here....700 calorie diet and not losing.....very helpful! i'm on a new path of upping my cals and keeping it clean!
  • jlsAhava
    jlsAhava Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Have you listed yourself as having an active lifestyle - excluding the exercises you enter into the database? This would include the lifestyle of a teacher, janitor, etc - someone who is up and down all day long. Or maybe very active, i.e. a postal worker who walks his route. If so, these will certainly increase your BMR and up the amount of calories you need to sustain your weight. You're height also impacts this - I'm a shorty - so I don't need as much. Also, the amount of weight you have to lose and the lbs/wk you want to shed impact this number as well.

If the BMR data you entered is accurate, you should be eating at least you're calorie goal - not counting your exercise calories.

Hope this helps.
  • jimmydeanbakker
    Options
    It would be better to eat the 2030 calories instead of the 1200 calories depending on your current weight. An individual weighing 170 pounds that wanted to lose 2 pounds a week would only take in 1200 calories. An individual weighing 300 pounds or so could injure themselves trying to only eat 1200 calories. They need to eat at least 2000 calories because they burn over 3000 calories a day to maintain that size. Don't treat counting calories like a fad diet or a diet that exceeds the recommended two pounds a week. Currently, your calorie deficit is like 2000 calories if you're only taking in 1200 calories, and that's too big of a deficit. That's four pounds a week. You won't last long. If you want to win the weight-loss war, eat your calories, exercise, and enjoy losing weight the right way. Over time, you'll have to readjust your calories; and one day soon, as long as you continue to do things the right way, you'll be 150 pounds.