weight watchers points plus

Options
Is there anyone doing the new Points Plus? Are you successful with it , and do you find its too much food compared to the old point system?

Replies

• jamben
    jamben Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Have been on ww for a year, met goal everything going great until pointplus came. Been gaining the last 5 weeks, so I'm going back to the old program today to see what happens. I think the pointsplus gives you too many calories...anyone else have thoughts on that.
  • cazaer3
    cazaer3 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I quit for the same reason. I figure I kept gaining so I would try this and see. I lost on this the first 2 weeks. This week I gained but It could be water weight.
  • clahut
    clahut Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the new one in the UK since it started - only joined when ProPoints UK was launched. I've lost 8lbs since I started it, but also been logging on here too. Not sure how much it was helping but have tried following the 'Simply Filling' technique this week rather than the 'traditional points' counting and that has really made a difference to how I eat as it is training me to eat healthier foods (wholewheat pasta - free, white pasta - 6 points or so, lean meat free, veggies free, etc). I guess we'll see how it looks at the end of the week when I get on the scales!

C :smile:
  • sueste90
    Options
    hi:laugh: I worked out my points for today and compared it to my mfp food diary 29 points = 1390 calories, my mfp says ishould stick to 1450 cals to lose 1.5lbs a week so im actually under Im goin try points all week but still write in food diary and see how it goes :smile: :smile: :smile:
  • bex1408
    bex1408 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I am following pro points and find that as long as i stick to the plan i am losing....

10/01 -2.75lb
    17/01 -3.5lb
    24/01 +3.5lb *bad week - went takeaway crazy*
    31/01 -4lb... 66 net calories over weekly goal of 1410
    07/02 -1lb - TOTM...281 net calories over weekly goal of 1410 (included a big drinking night)

I'm not disappointed with this at all. However, i do also track on here to make sure that i'm not going massively crazy on calories as i find it's very easy to eat a LOT of fruit which soon racks up the calories. Now WW say that this shouldn't matter and from my results i don't think it does, that much... but i think that if i went really mad on the fruit it would soon add up. I use fruit as snacks, i'm a bit of a picker and pineapple particularly helps to stop me doing this.
  • debcarv
    debcarv Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I've been on the new PP program for 2 1/2 weeks, also doing Mfp and found that I did better on this site! Will continue with both and do a comparison for 3 months to see how it goes. Wish me luck!!
  • bex1408
    Options
    Good luck.... let me know how you find it... i'm toying with it myself - whether i should switch to calorie counting but wanted to see how ww goes, especially with the 0 point fruit and veg.... i like that idea lol x Keep me up to date... will some how figure out how to friend you? x
  • cahira
    cahira Posts: 163
    Options
    I've been doing Points Plus since the first of the year and I've lost 8 lbs. in 5 weeks. Which is good, don't get me wrong, but I have a lot of weight to lose, and I was really surprised not to see at least a few extra pounds in the initial drop. It's been odd. And I really feel like I'm making myself eat to at least fulfill my dailies.

I started tracking here to compare. On a day that I exercise my daily P+ total just about matches up to what I would eat to lose 2 lbs. per week. But if it's a rest day, my calories are way too high if I eat all my P+. And of course WW gives you activity points as well which in theory you could eat as well. So to me, it seems like it is way too many calories. And if I eat a few servings of "free" fruits and vegetables to get in my good health guidelines, there is no way that I can eat my daily P+ without making myself.

I'm considering dropping WW - I've been tracking both places - and now I'm working on transitioning over to only here. The math here just seems to make way more sense.
  • bex1408
    Options
    I've been doing Points Plus since the first of the year and I've lost 8 lbs. in 5 weeks. Which is good, don't get me wrong, but I have a lot of weight to lose, and I was really surprised not to see at least a few extra pounds in the initial drop. It's been odd. And I really feel like I'm making myself eat to at least fulfill my dailies.

I started tracking here to compare. On a day that I exercise my daily P+ total just about matches up to what I would eat to lose 2 lbs. per week. But if it's a rest day, my calories are way too high if I eat all my P+. And of course WW gives you activity points as well which in theory you could eat as well. So to me, it seems like it is way too many calories. And if I eat a few servings of "free" fruits and vegetables to get in my good health guidelines, there is no way that I can eat my daily P+ without making myself.

I'm considering dropping WW - I've been tracking both places - and now I'm working on transitioning over to only here. The math here just seems to make way more sense.

Obviously you need to do what works for you. I don't think i've ever had a day when i've struggled to eat my dailies :oS what i do like is the freedom of ww, but i suppose in reality they're not actually that different... by the time you work it all out...

WW give me 29pp @ 40 cals (roughly) per pp = 1160
    Weekly allowance 7pp = 280

Total = 1440 cals (roughly) + whatever i eat in fruit and veg.

Cals goal on here = 1410 net cals.

Now i find that on an average day i am eating quite a bit of fruit and veg.... today i have eaten 351 cals of fruit and veg, total cals eaten = 485, ww points = 4. But then the science bit in ww is that the fruit and veg shouldn't matter... because it's about how your body burns things. Hmmm, i do agree that the net calorie is the logical way - there's years of evidence behind it. Maybe i'm just looking for the "easy" way... but then why change something that seems to be working??? Decisions decisions lol.

Can i friend you too - be interesting to see how you get on and what decision you make, i'm going to think about this a little more over the next day or so... but you might just be right and i might be switching to counting calories too.... xxx
  • cahira
    cahira Posts: 163
    Options
    Well for me, I have over 100 lbs. to lose. So my dailies right now are at 43!

So a normal day runs 1720 calories. Weeklies adds another 280 - which brings us to 2000. And if I exercise I earn tons of points - most days anywhere from 5-11 exercise points - which is another 200 - 440 calories. And here on MFP my calorie goal is 1530 before exercise.

So for now, I'm tracking both ways. Trying to see what works best for me. This week I'm setting my goals based upon the MFP guidelines and tracking WW as the "backup" method.
  • Jazmine49
    Jazmine49 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Trying the new weight watcher plan. Loved the old one lost 40 Pounds. It is alot of food but we will see how things add up on Friday. Trying not to get frustrated.
  • 2hdesign
    2hdesign Posts: 153
    Options
    I'm NOT on the plan, but I was considering (and I have done the old points system in the past, so I know how both work). My thought is this: free fruit = danger. If I have 1300 kcal a day to eat and I eat 2 apples and 2 bananas, assuming med to large, I've added anywhere from 300-500 calories just in fruit alone. I LOVE fruit and I do eat it, but am learning that things like strawberries get me a lot more bang for my buck. Just some food for thought.
  • bex1408
    Options
    Well for me, I have over 100 lbs. to lose. So my dailies right now are at 43!

So a normal day runs 1720 calories. Weeklies adds another 280 - which brings us to 2000. And if I exercise I earn tons of points - most days anywhere from 5-11 exercise points - which is another 200 - 440 calories. And here on MFP my calorie goal is 1530 before exercise.

So for now, I'm tracking both ways. Trying to see what works best for me. This week I'm setting my goals based upon the MFP guidelines and tracking WW as the "backup" method.

Wow - that certainly looks like a lot of calories doesn't it!! I've been thinking about it and i think long term that counting calories might just be easier. There's no cost involved (i subscribe online to ww at the mo), it's easier to find the values for something than it is for ww and the more i'm thinking of the fruit thing the more i'm driving myself mad.

The fact that i can easily eat 400 cals worth of fruit and veg in a day, and i mean easily, plus things like a rice krispies cereal bar which i had the other day was only 2pp... well it's 100cals... that takes us to potentially 50 cals per point, depending on what we eat!

I think i'm slowly talking myself into calorie counting lol. I'm going to go by MFP this week too - my week only starts on Monday and i was -2 cals yesterday, so not doing too badly... will see how this gets on. I will also continue to track and see where this leaves me, but i think that you're right, it's making much more sense with the numbers this way!! xxx
  • bex1408
    Options
    I'm NOT on the plan, but I was considering (and I have done the old points system in the past, so I know how both work). My thought is this: free fruit = danger. If I have 1300 kcal a day to eat and I eat 2 apples and 2 bananas, assuming med to large, I've added anywhere from 300-500 calories just in fruit alone. I LOVE fruit and I do eat it, but am learning that things like strawberries get me a lot more bang for my buck. Just some food for thought.

Yes - bananas are surprisingly high.... and pineapple - and i love pineapple :o( i need to start doing some research on low calorie foods. Although it's about maintaining a number of calories, i still stand by the principle of wanting to find a healthy way of eating for life so that my children learn this from me, rather than the hard way like i am doing :o(
  • debcarv
    debcarv Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    The first 2 weeks I lost weight on MFP; then started online Points Plus. After 3 weeks on points plus I have put 2 lbs back on. I can't help but feel its the free fruits. Yes, fruits are wonderful for the body but more like in limited amounts I'm thinking, not free grazing! I ate them when I felt an urge for something sweet or as an extra with my meal. Think I need to put restraints on that! I Will finish my 3 months on WW but also keep a closer watch on here to monitor my calories of 1200 a day. Does anyone use the extra 49 points? I thought I would on Super Bowl Sunday but still had 29 points left at the end of the day. That was the only day I have ever used any, maybe it was a big mistake going over my alloted points.
  • bex1408
    Options
    The first 2 weeks I lost weight on MFP; then started online Points Plus. After 3 weeks on points plus I have put 2 lbs back on. I can't help but feel its the free fruits. Yes, fruits are wonderful for the body but more like in limited amounts I'm thinking, not free grazing! I ate them when I felt an urge for something sweet or as an extra with my meal. Think I need to put restraints on that! I Will finish my 3 months on WW but also keep a closer watch on here to monitor my calories of 1200 a day. Does anyone use the extra 49 points? I thought I would on Super Bowl Sunday but still had 29 points left at the end of the day. That was the only day I have ever used any, maybe it was a big mistake going over my alloted points.

I used to use mine - all the time. Whilst i still lost weight i think that was more that i had weight to lose initially - left over from xmas, after a binge weight etc. Last week - which was the week where i was watching the cals, i only lost 1lb and i genuinely think i wouldn't have lost anything if i wasn't starting to get bothered by the fruit side of it.... i've made my decision and am going with cc for a while - will see how that works for me and then can always look back at ww if i need to. I have the membership for the next three weeks to refer to too..... xxx
  • sarahbridges_
    Options
    I've been on weight watchers pp program for 9 weeks now and have lost 16 pounds so far,
    Its more on how you use the program, meaning just because the pp value of fruit is 0 doesnt mean you can just eat that and then have high points value foods. It's more there as an incentive to 1. get your 5 servings a day and 2. have you snack on fruit instead of going for a candy bar or chips. Because yes, if you eat too much fruit you will actually gain weight because of the glucose.
    I have been losing on average 1.5 to 2 pounds a week, which seems slow. But they have it that way because if you lose too fast you can develop anemia and losing too fast on a diet that is not realistic for life (ie. restricting yourself to only healthy foods, and never eating out and "cheating") is gonna just make you gain it all back (and then some) when you finally decide you want to go off the diet.
    Overall I find this program to be wonderful as long as you dont abuse the "free" foods. Getting the online program helps with this, because once you put those fruits in a smoothie or anything they get their true points value, and also some things have half point values which they dont count, so if you eat more than one serving, it will start counting.
    But most of all its whatever works for you. As long as you dont feel deprived and are losing then any diet is good :)