30 day shred

Options
So for all my shred-heads out there :laugh: ...uh what weights do you use for this? I'm using 7 lbs and maybe it's just too much for right now. Whoops. I think that explains the soreness!

Replies

• merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I use 5 and people tell me I'm crazy...
    Some of the moves I think 5 or 7 would be fine. Others, I wish I had 3's...lol
  • AFitasticYou
    Options
    I did the first few days with 5's for everything. Then I switched to 3's for some exercises, like the squat & press in L1. I just could not finish that with the 5lbs!! Have you been doing the shred for a while? 7lbs sounds like a lot! Maybe I'm just a weakling!
  • yosyenid
    Options
    I just started the 30 day shred a week ago, and I only use 3 lb weights. OMG was I sore the first 3 days!!!! Maybe, I'm just really out of shape but anyhow, I would love to hear how it goes for you. The soreness does fade after a few days, just don't over do it. =)
  • kristiek7
    Options
    I just use 3lbs.......I've had a few elbow surgeries and don't want to overdo it.
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I just started this morning and I use 3lb weights because it's all I have. I also have resistance bands if I want something a little more challenging...but seeing as I am already walking funny I think I'll wait on that! LOL! I did great with the 3lbs today, started to puss out at the end of the squat-lifts and lunge-lifts but other than that I did 100% of all the exercises.
  • limestar
    limestar Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I use my 8lb and my 15lbs. There some exercise I can go heavy and since it not long its do able. Keep in mind I do lift heavy all the time so if you are a beginner I would not recommend going heavy like me.
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I used my 5's this morning which were great for everything but the overhead press. Ouch :laugh:
  • sacfrazier
    Options
    I have been doing the shred for a week now and I use 3 lbs for just about everything. There are a couple exercises that I use 5 lb weights.
  • agdeierl
    agdeierl Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I am somewhat of a beginner and on day two of 30ds. The only weight I own do not have markings on them, so I'm not exactly sure how much they are, but I think they are only 2 or 3 lb. weights. That might sound like nothing (and I'm sure it IS nothing to more advanced exercisers), but starting out small means I can finish all the reps with good form. If it gets too easy for me, I'll go higher, but I've known people of a similar build as me that actually got fantastic results from 3 lb weights with 30ds!
  • molissep
    molissep Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I'm using 5 lbs, which are a little heavy for the squat and press - by the end I'm dying haha. Also it gets rough with the side lunge and arm lift. I do the shred every m/w/f and I did day 4 yesterday without too much trouble, so I guess that's a good sign!
  • ashley0616
    Options
    For those of you not on day one like me, is the workout the same every day? Doesn't that get boring and nonproductive after a while? Or are there other workouts in level 1 besides the one I did this morning? I haven't played with the DVD at all yet so I wasn't sure. Also, how long did you do each level for? I almost started on 2 and was glad I didn't, 1 is tough!!
    Thanks!
  • agdeierl
    agdeierl Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    It's challenging enough that I don't feel it will be unproductive, but yes it is the same workout for level one. There are only three different workouts. One for level one, one for level two, and one for level three. You're supposed to do each level for 10 days straight for 30 days (hence the title), but I think this is unwise, at least for me, since it uses weights and I keep reading that you're supposed to give your muscles a day to recover from weights. It definitely gets boring...although I think it'd be more accurate to say it gets irritating as hell, because Jillian Michaels will not shut up! She talks constantly and says really annoying things like, "If you want to be in shape, you're not gonna get it for free!" OVER AND OVER AGAIN. (Yes, I know that, that's why I'm using this DVD! Jeez!) As soon as I get better at the routine, I'm putting the DVD on "no commentary" mode, because I can't stand listening to her talk! It's bad enough having to look at her huge, flarey nostrils!
    Ok, I'm done. Sorry for the Jillian rant! :grumble:
  • amwo81
    Options
    agdeierl-- I loved your Jillian rant! I am on day 2, and was feeling that way today too!
    Good luck :)
  • 1ofthegang
    1ofthegang Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    It's challenging enough that I don't feel it will be unproductive, but yes it is the same workout for level one. There are only three different workouts. One for level one, one for level two, and one for level three. You're supposed to do each level for 10 days straight for 30 days (hence the title), but I think this is unwise, at least for me, since it uses weights and I keep reading that you're supposed to give your muscles a day to recover from weights. It definitely gets boring...although I think it'd be more accurate to say it gets irritating as hell, because Jillian Michaels will not shut up! She talks constantly and says really annoying things like, "If you want to be in shape, you're not gonna get it for free!" OVER AND OVER AGAIN. (Yes, I know that, that's why I'm using this DVD! Jeez!) As soon as I get better at the routine, I'm putting the DVD on "no commentary" mode, because I can't stand listening to her talk! It's bad enough having to look at her huge, flarey nostrils!
    Ok, I'm done. Sorry for the Jillian rant! :grumble:

:laugh:
  • ashley0616
    Options
    Huge, flarey nostrils. Bwahahaha...I love it!

Thanks for the info. I'm going to have to look for that no commentary mode. She really does get annoying...though I laughed when she said that if she has 400lb people doing jumping jacks I can do them too. And maybe I'll do it every other day with my regular stuff in between just so I don't hate life. My muscles are still yelling at me, I can only imagine them tomorrow.

Thanks!!
  • loriefolk
    Options
    As a beginner (L1D8), I am using 3lb weights :)
  • molissep
    molissep Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    thank God someone thinks she's as annoying on the DVD as i do - by the end i really want to yell shut up lol
  • LadyKT
    LadyKT Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    thank God someone thinks she's as annoying on the DVD as i do - by the end i really want to yell shut up lol

I block her out! I think there's an option where you can actually cut out her instruction - but i'm not sure - it's in the beginning menu where it says "audio options" and i think I remember seeing something like, music with instructions or just music. But don't quote me on it!! :tongue:
  • leasah
    leasah Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Ive survived and made to L3 and most everything I use only the 3lbs for. The back exercises and squats I can go up to 5 now, but Ive been doing this since the week before Christmas. I only used cans of soup the first few days of L1 and it completely kicked my butt! So far Im not digging L3 at all, so Im mixing in the other levels so Im not doing L3 every single day.