This on is for the Ladies

Options
Ok well I started my diet on the 2nd of this month (feb.) and now I am late (4 days) I took a pg test and it said negative so now I am wondering if anyone out there has been late because of starting diet and exercise? I have been working out every single day and I went from 3000+ calories to 1550 calories a day. Could this be a cause for me being late, even though I only started the diet 2 days before my expected day?

Sorry about the spelling on topic, it will not let me change it.

Replies

• butterflyfaerie
    butterflyfaerie Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    This month, my period was a week late, so it's possible that diet and exercise could have something to do with it, as just beforehand was the first time I really focused on the other numbers (fats and proteins) rather than just the calories. So it may be possible.
  • EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    my period has been all out of wack since starting my diet! sometimes it comes early and sometimes it is late. i do know that it IS easier to get pregnant while you are losing weight. about a year and a half ago i started on this site, lost 10 lbs., and found out i was pregnant. :) i would wait another few days and if it doesn't show up test again!
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    YES YES YES! After the first 3 weeks on MFP I was supposed to start. I have been on birth control for almost 15 years and have never, I repeat NEVER, been late. Or early for that matter. But I started 7 days early. Called my doctor and she said the extreme change in my eating/exercise habits, although a good move, were the likely cause. The next month everything resumed as normal.
  • cjduckie
    cjduckie Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I've been late on occasion during the last 6 months since I started my journey too, I read up about it on the internet and apparently strenuous exercise and diets can have a significant effect on your TOM... I'm 8 days late this month (and no possible chance in hell that I'm pregnant) but I think this time round it's due to me having gone off the pill at the beginning of Jan for the first time in 6 years...I went off coz I want to see the effect that going off will have on my weight loss. I think my ovaries have gotten lazy now, and my hormones are all simply completely out of whack! I've been wondering what I can do to shock them back into operation - I'm only 27 =/ Gonna give it a month or two, and if nothing changes I reckon I'll have to see someone. I'd say go with it for a month or two too, and see what happens... but if it stays away for an extended period (:blushing: :blushing: no pun intended, haha) then I'd get it checked out... :flowerforyou:
  • cinabard
    Options
    THANKS EVERYONE, IT REALLY HAD ME WORRIED. I WILL WAIT A FEW MORE DAYS AND SEE, IF NOT THEN I WILL JUST GO TO MY DR. AND ASK HER TO RUN A TEST.
  • bsoxluvr
    bsoxluvr Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    When I lost weight 10 years ago I lost my period for 9 months because the changes I made were so drastic.
  • 1FITmamaofTWINS
    Options
    yes, extreme diet, stress, and lifestyle changes can most def throw your period off a bit
  • mizliz1981
    Options
    I was probably about 2 weeks late last month due to getting healthy. I also thought that there was a chance that I was prego and I took a test and that night I got my period. It also seemed like my cramps were worst then normal but I don't know if that had anything to do with it.
    That is interesting that your chance for pregnancy if you are losing weight.
  • bjshooter
    bjshooter Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    I havent been late, I have been early :(
    I am usually set like clockwork too, I also have a bit of spotting inbetween, I have been to the doctors and its defo just the lifestyle change, upping exercise and possibly becasue I an 36lb lighter.
  • msmitch
    Options
    THANKS EVERYONE, IT REALLY HAD ME WORRIED. I WILL WAIT A FEW MORE DAYS AND SEE, IF NOT THEN I WILL JUST GO TO MY DR. AND ASK HER TO RUN A TEST.

Worrying about it can have a huge effect on it being late. Been there...Try to relax & since the pg test says no, just wait for it.
  • myladyelliott
    Options

Worrying about it can have a huge effect on it being late. Been there...Try to relax & since the pg test says no, just wait for it.

Stress can mess up all your body's timing. Don't worry it, it's just one of those things that goes along with being a girl.
  • cinabard
    Options
    Thanks Ladies you were all right. Tom finally came knocking.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    If you started on the 2nd and only 4 days overdue its not likely from the program. If your period is late its because ovulation was late(aprox 14-16 days ago). Are you always spot on regular?
  • XxJessdNxX
    Options
    I've been late on occasion during the last 6 months since I started my journey too, I read up about it on the internet and apparently strenuous exercise and diets can have a significant effect on your TOM... I'm 8 days late this month (and no possible chance in hell that I'm pregnant) but I think this time round it's due to me having gone off the pill at the beginning of Jan for the first time in 6 years...I went off coz I want to see the effect that going off will have on my weight loss. I think my ovaries have gotten lazy now, and my hormones are all simply completely out of whack! I've been wondering what I can do to shock them back into operation - I'm only 27 =/ Gonna give it a month or two, and if nothing changes I reckon I'll have to see someone. I'd say go with it for a month or two too, and see what happens... but if it stays away for an extended period (:blushing: :blushing: no pun intended, haha) then I'd get it checked out... :flowerforyou:

When I came off the pill (because I was stupid and forgot to renew my prescription so I thought I'd stick it out and see what happened), it took me ages to have a period (I can't remember how long exactly, but at least a couple of months), I think the hormones mess up your system and your body takes a while to remember what is "normal". Quite scary really when you think about it as so many of us take them without a second thought.
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I use to be on a 28 cycle religiously. Since I started this weight loss I was 4/5 days late once and 3 days early the next so I think it is very possible.
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    When I first started my journey, my cycle was all over the place. Definitely use a back up method until your period gets back on track. It took me a good six months of my healthy lifestyle for my cycle to regulate.

Charmagne
  • cjduckie
    cjduckie Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    So.... the old hag has just shown up, and I've never been this excited about it! Ahahaha, 3 weeks late... but better late than never! Ladies, it seems like we're back in business! Hahaha! Just had to share with someone :flowerforyou: The exercise definitely effects it!!