MULTI VITAMINS AND FEELING LIGHT HEADED...

Options
I started a One A Day multi vitamin today and within 10minutes I felt light headed. (ate a bagel with cream cheese prior to)

I researched on Google and found one doctor state this is normal because your body is getting rid of toxins and adjusting to the pill. Another doctor wrote you shouldn't have this happening.

Has anyone experienced this?

Replies

• staceyb_2003
    staceyb_2003 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I tried multivitamins for women once and it made me the same way i never took them again i didnt like that feeling !!
  • skinnyme125
    skinnyme125 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I tend to get like that sometimes also. I try drinking a glass of orange juice when taking the pills. IT not only helps to wash it down but also will help your body to absorb it faster and easier. As lots of the vitamins need the extra vitamin C to help you absorb them.
  • Serendipitygirl82
    Options
    Some of the One a Day multivitamins have caffeine. I make sure to steer clear of those. I have had some of the herbs in other vitamins make me feel light headed also.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    i used to take mine at night just before i went to bed with a large glass of water!
  • scha4r
    scha4r Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I would get like this if I took it on an empty stomach. You said you ate something before taking the pills. I think it's your body (stomach) not used to the multi vitamin. Try it for a week or two and see if it improves. You can always consult your doctor about the feeling. Plus multi vitamins are great for you.

:)
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't let it deter you so quickly! Just adjust the time of day you take them and see if it helps. The value of the multi-vitamin outweighs that feeling you get. I take the one-a-day women's active metabolism and now that I'm past that beginning stage, I feel alot better when I take it! Good luck!
  • hyoung3
    hyoung3 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I've never had this happen to me before and I don't know anyone who has experienced this, either.

One thing to consider.... you may not have digested this supplement in as little as 10 minutes.

Anything we ingest requires the same digestion process.... stomach acids, etc. to enable what
    we consume to enter our bloodstreams.

This can take anywhere from 20 minutes to as much as 4 hours. ( I doubt it would really take
    4 hours for a vitamin, though)

The digestion rate in supplements can vary depending on the form (pills vs. gelcaps, etc.)

The fastest absorption rate would be from a powder mixed with water... liquids can be
    digested and absorbed much faster.

Hope this helps !
  • karlsense
    Options
    Your body would not likely react to one pill on one day 10 min. after taking it the way the "doctor" you read about on the internet is describing it. You may want to consult your own personal doctor if it continues to be a problem.
  • jennifeffer
    jennifeffer Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I take them with dinner. That seems to work best for me. They make me nauseated if on an empty tummy and give me crazy dreams if just before bed!
  • JillyBean819
    JillyBean819 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Synthetic vitamins (ie., Centrum One-a-Day) make me feel dizzy/sick like I am going to throw up but natural vitamins (ie., Solaray Multi-Vit) don't make me feel that way.
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Hey there mjsunshine16, what One-a-Day are you taking?

In any case, I would tell you not to worry about it unless it happens repeatedly.

Give your body about 5-7 days to adjust to the new pill and then see if it's happening.

Also consider a couple things:

1- It could have been something else; lack of food, lack of water (did you drink 8 ounces with it???), lack of sleep, or if you're like me, just random lack of balance

2- You might want to buy your multi at a health food or homeopathic store. I wouldn't recommend going with anything you can buy at the regular grocery store.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Drink plenty of water with them. Multi vitamins are extremely healthy for you. Your body needs vitamins. After about a week your body should be use to them. I always take mine after I eat first thing in the morning. I take one a day womens active metabolism, an iron supplement and nature made b complex with vitamin c. Never once have I ever felt light headed. Your body is probably just in need of extra water bein taken with them.
  • barberella
    Options
    I have to agree with uying your vitamins at a regular store. Do some research because a lot of things I have read say that the one a day and Centrum vitamins don't do a lot for you. I wanted some energy when I first started working out and I had to stay away from vitamins that contained caffeine as they would make me jittery, but a lot of regular vitamins contained that. So, I turned to bee pollen. It's natural, it's a superfood and it contains all the minerals and nutrients your body needs. I also take Fish Oil. Hope that helps.
  • ashleynicoleb
    ashleynicoleb Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I take them in the morning after I eat breakfast. I haven't ever felt lightheaded after taking them, though. Make sure you stay hydrated and drink a glass of water after you take one...it may help.
  • Gogo76
    Gogo76 Posts: 581
    Options
    I have had this happen too!

Try cutting it in half and taking half with breakfast and half with lunch or dinner. I am really super sensitive to pills for some reason, so I had to start taking the childrens vitamins.
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    One A Day makes many different kinds of multivitamens. Are you taking the Women's orange pill or the Women's weight-loss green? If it's the green one, it could be a result of the additional iodine they put in there.
    If it's the orange one, the feeling will subside. Just avoid things like sucralose and caffeine (both have a tendency to make light-headedness worse). You may want to snack on something else to buffer the effect.
  • xoopsyxdaizyx
    Options
    i had this problem. i would get light headed and nauseous. i started taking it later in the day when i had more in my system & the problem stopped.
  • mikeclark797
    Options
    Here are some reasons why one could be light-headed:

•Not eating properly (skipping meals, or eating too little) Our bodies need fuel like anything else in order to work properly.
    •High blood pressure.
    •Some medications you could be taking. (read side effects of medication) ALWAYS get a print-out on your medications from the pharmacist.
    •Inner ear problem.
    It is wise to see your doctor before counting on just vitamins. Vitamins are good for you, but will do little if you aren't eating properly.

Here is what I find in past patients. There are cases where high magniesium and B12 (usually only the sublingual form) can cause your blood pressure to drop, they do in fact relax muscle and promote circulation. Although usually in older people (over 40 or so depending). The effect of the vitamin could be compounded by a lack of eating also. I do not buy the toxicty idea, simply because I did experance a toxic exposure condition when I first started and I was not taking vitamins.

First have a vitamin panel (blood work) done and see if your actually deficent in a vitamin. Generally I find you are not. but if you are take those. Often multi vitamin are convenent but mostly unnessesary. If you dont need them they are expelled (or worse become toxic in the case of like A or E), too much vitamin C can enhance the uptake of Iron and damage heart muscle and so forth. So they are not entirely inert. In most cases I find that if your on a balanced diet you don't actually need to take them.

If your eating right, even if its lower cal, and your blood sugars are good (not diabetic or hypo-glycemic) it should not be happening.

For the record, I dont take them, the panel says I dont need them and I eat fresh food at least 1/2 the time. I do take high dose vitamin C if I feel a cold comming as it lessens the duration.

good luck.

4446195.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • SelenaRai89
    SelenaRai89 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I tend to get like that sometimes also. I try drinking a glass of orange juice when taking the pills. IT not only helps to wash it down but also will help your body to absorb it faster and easier. As lots of the vitamins need the extra vitamin C to help you absorb them.

Thank you so much for this post. I have been taking my vitamins as you suggested with no problems thus far.
  • SelenaRai89
    SelenaRai89 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I started a One A Day multi vitamin today and within 10minutes I felt light headed. (ate a bagel with cream cheese prior to)

I researched on Google and found one doctor state this is normal because your body is getting rid of toxins and adjusting to the pill. Another doctor wrote you shouldn't have this happening.

Has anyone experienced this?

Yes on many occasions with many different vitamins. I took skinnyme125's advice ( drinking a cup of orange juice) and wala!