GREEN TEA HELP!!

Options
Hi Everyone,
I am NOT a tea drinker let alone Green Tea. I hate the smell and I hate the taste. I have been reading and seeing all the hype of drinking green tea. So, I went to the local supermarket and bought a green tea that even had blueberry in it and I will be 100% honest... I would have rather eaten the styrophone cup it came in. It was HORRIBLE. Swamp water probably tastes better.
A friend of mine suggested to try the Diet Lipton Green Tea Citrus. I did, and actually didn't mind that and haven taken a liking to it, but in the back of my mind, I just don't feel this is as good for you as regular green tea.

Does anyone know a tasty brand/flavor that you could recommend? Remember, I am NOT a tea drinker so any green tea out there that actually doesn't taste like tea would be great.
All suggestions and advice welcome.
Thanks !!

Replies

• Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Don't let the bag stew for too long! This is what I was doing and it always tastes extra bitter and horrible! (I think 1 minute is enough in the water!)

i'm now an avid green tea drinker and used to absolutely detest the stuff! The sharper citrusy flavours are best, I drink a lot of twinings and actually pretty like it now. It's still not the best tasting thing in the world but I feel better for it.
  • staceyb_2003
    staceyb_2003 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Try half a teaspoon of natural clear honey in it it makes it taste so much nicer and honeys good for you in small proportions , i noticed after i had green tea i had a chronic headache i'm sure this was down to the green tea as i have not suffered with a migraine for a few years before having that ! I love twinings cherry and cinnamon tea and also lemon and ginger i always add a drop of honey though x
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I have to say most of the supermarket brands are horrid, and I love tea of all kinds. You could try and find a purveyor of tea like Steven Smith (based in Seattle) or in Canada we have David's tea.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    The tea is highly diluted in the store stuff. If I steep a tablespoon of Green Tea Powder for two hours I can make about 5 gallons diluted to the store bought color. Diet is not worth sticking in your mouth. There are plenty of other teas and sources of antioxidants. Best to find something you like. The fat burning hype of green tea is unfounded because the chemical in tea that produces it has poor bio availability.
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I love tea but find many store brands are awful. Try some loose leaf types and brew them correctly. I love http://www.englishteastore.com/ They have some wonderful teas in every income level plus they have video's telling you about the tea and how it should be brewed. Lots of education on the site and a tea lover's paradise.
  • bossmodehan
    bossmodehan Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Don't let the bag stew for too long! This is what I was doing and it always tastes extra bitter and horrible! (I think 1 minute is enough in the water!)

i'm now an avid green tea drinker and used to absolutely detest the stuff! The sharper citrusy flavours are best, I drink a lot of twinings and actually pretty like it now. It's still not the best tasting thing in the world but I feel better for it.

Another thing that can make green tea bitter is adding boiling water directly. I always let my kettle stand for a few minutes before adding the water, and then i only let it steep for a minute.
    There are plenty of antioxident rich teas out there that contain other botanicals like nettle. Try Dr Stuarts (though they are a little expensive).
  • tara473
    tara473 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    David's teas are fantastic (I'm sipping on the cranberry green tea blend right now).

You could also try a little bit of splenda (I like mine sweet)!!!

Best of luck!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Brand is everything when it comes to green tea - IMO - I love the Republic of Tea - Peach is my fav. I don't really care for the Raspberry or Goji Berry ones.
  • bespatter
    bespatter Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I love Tazo's organic green tea. I get my water hot (not boiling) and then let it steep for about 1-2 minutes.

With tea, you get what you pay for. Cheap teas, and even "namebrands" such as Lipton's Green tea is just crap.

Also, when you buy better quality tea, you get more health benefits.
  • merguson
    merguson Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I drink Tetley Mint Green Tea every day while at work! It replaces the coffee I used to drink and doesn't leave me with nasty coffee breath. :wink:
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I :heart: LOVE :heart: green and herbal teas!

Tip for taste: always mix in a tablespoon of honey. Raw honey is great!

I get Tetley Naturally Decaffeinated Green Tea most often, but I'll drink any kind including the horribly bitter stuff you find in Japanese restaurants.

Lately, I've found a love for green tea powder (matcha), like they put in Starbucks green teas. Mix a 1/2 teaspoon of match with 1/2 a cup boiled water. Stir until it's dissolved, warm up 1/2 a cup of soy milk (plain or vanilla), and mix in with the water. You can also add a 1/2 - 1 tablespoon of honey to this. (60-80 calories depending on the soy milk, 120-140 calories with honey). :bigsmile: